I am new to investing and my wife and I were getting ready to buy our first investment this year. Unfortunately I lost my job last mont before we could get started. Plans had to change but I am still pursuing investments while trying to get creative with funding. I have a relative in a different state that wants to invest in my area and I brought up going in together and he is on board with this idea. So long story to get here but what kind of split is normal? I do not have the capital right now to do a down payment with no steady income coming in so I will need his money for down payment. I was thinking of covering closing costs and I would manage the properties but being new I don't know what kind of split would be normal in a situation like this. Any help from others that have done deals like this would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
5y
There are a hundred different ways you could structure it, but I would try to keep it simple with a 50/50 split on profits and a 50/50 split on expenses. If the furnace goes out and costs $5,000 to replace, you would both have to pay $2,500.
He puts up the money. You do all the work to find the deal, close it, and manage it. Your compensation is to split the cash flow and the profit at time of sale. In other words, you work for free until money comes in. Your partner gives up money and earns no return until money comes in. You're both taking a risk and both getting a reward.
After you have a deal or two under your belt, you'll have a better idea of what your time is worth and whether you should get a bigger or smaller share of the profit.
Investor · Ontario · Member since 2015 · 486 posts · 250 votes
5y
Hi Philip,
I agree with @Nathan Gesner Keep the agreement as simple as possible. A confused mind can not make a decision.
You mentioned losing your job. That happened to me mid renovation once. It definetly takes many financing options off the table. I was going to mention that you could have used a no income, no asset and no tax verification lender. I have the connection to one. The rates are higher than traditional sources but way cheaper than giving up equity in the long run. I later read you do not currently have the down payment saved up. That being said a JV is your best bet. Use Nathans advice above and make it happen.