Paychecks warp your mind

Paychecks warp your mind

Handyman · Pittsburgh, PA · Member since 2018 · 5k+ posts · 13k+ votes

Possibly the only thing that I have ever heard Grant Cardone say that I fully agree with is that when you start a business, you had better forget about working 9 to 5 and commit to working 95 hours a week.

Those 95 hours are going to be spent doing a lot of stuff other people simply don't want to do. Moreover, there will be no certain payoff for those hours, there will be no guaranteed check at the end of the week, there is no pay schedule. There will be many, many times while doing this stuff that the chances of any sort of payout will seem minimal at best, and times when, yes, an enormous amount of work will go into something and there will be NO payout.

What makes this even more difficult to wrap your mind around is that the American middle class basically trains their children into a wage-slave mindset from the age of five or six, when parents start to give a child an allowance. Almost invariably, that allowance is tied to fulfilling certain tasks. You mow the lawn, you get paid. You take out the trash, you get paid. You don't do X,Y,Z, you get paid. From there it's a seamless transition to their first paycheck from their first job. Show up, wear the uniform, do what you're told, follow the code of conduct, get paid.

To go from that relentless structuring of payoffs-for-work and payoffs-for-correct-behavior to working for yourself...I think it's becoming more and more difficult in every generation.

Do you agree with this?

10Reply
40 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Erie, PA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
5y

Schools also push the agenda. You're given grades, you follow the rules and aren't taught anything about finance. 

I went to a private school and the closest thing I learned to finance was when we were taught how to balance a checkbook. 

Anyone who wants to learn finance can do so in college but the economics class I took was garbage and it's the one class I opted out of. 

Point is - the government/society wants good little worker bees who don't ask questions. Of course, one could argue that's not the case as laziness and sitting around and collecting government checks seems to be encouraged as well. 

I would much rather run my own show than work for somebody else; I can make my own hours and I largely enjoy what I do. 

As far as children go, I think those who are subjected to entrepreneurship/being one's own boss as an option are likely to follow it. My father owned a business and since I grew up around that I always wanted to do the same, whether I was aware of it or not. 

Kids learn so much more by what they experience in their environment rather than by what they're told. 

See this reply in the discussion

26 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Allentown PA, United States · Member since 2016 · 567 posts · 442 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Jim K.:
    Originally posted by @Bill Goodland:

    @Jim K. I don’t think a 95 hour work week is necessary at all. Smartest people I know leverage others by providing the opportunity to work in their business

    Yeah, but it usually takes time to get there.


    Why should it though?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.