Suggestions on narrowing down your investing market?

Suggestions on narrowing down your investing market?

New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 10 votes

I'm new to the forum and looking to find markets to invest in. I think the ideal market would have a median price range for 3br/2bth in the 75,000 to 130,000.  I expect to be investing long distance I'm based in northern Nevada. Looking to get suggestion on any market that meet the criteria or how other BP members have found there market when there local market numbers don't work.  

5Reply
48 views

Most Popular Reply

Omaha, NE · Member since 2020 · 611 posts · 665 votes
5y

Even six months ago, I would've said your numbers for a 3/2 were easy to find, but nationwide prices have surged on low interest rates, economic stimulus, and limited inventory. Even in ideal Middle West states like Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan, those prices are now fairly uncommon. 

Your best bet if you want those prices is to pick a target market, design a mailer, and advertise for off-market property. I've snagged two houses for very low prices in the past four months because the sellers wanted to move quickly and had issues that made the property hard to sell through the typical avenues, but if I was only relying on MLS listings, I'd be shut out right now.

What are your long-term goals with real estate? Are you open to managing rehabs? Best of luck!

See this reply in the discussion

20 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Omaha, NE · Member since 2020 · 611 posts · 665 votes
    5y

    Even six months ago, I would've said your numbers for a 3/2 were easy to find, but nationwide prices have surged on low interest rates, economic stimulus, and limited inventory. Even in ideal Middle West states like Indiana, Ohio, and Michigan, those prices are now fairly uncommon. 

    Your best bet if you want those prices is to pick a target market, design a mailer, and advertise for off-market property. I've snagged two houses for very low prices in the past four months because the sellers wanted to move quickly and had issues that made the property hard to sell through the typical avenues, but if I was only relying on MLS listings, I'd be shut out right now.

    What are your long-term goals with real estate? Are you open to managing rehabs? Best of luck!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 531 posts · 310 votes
    5y

    @Nick Cresci Hey! Totally been in your shoes, now twice. First in New York City. Now living in Austin, the numbers for cash flow do not work.

    So, what I do, is I look at factors that bring me cash flow:

    Crime, unemployment, property tax rates, median home price, avg rents, price to rent ratio, population growth, if its a landlord friendly state or not and I compare away!

    I actually just did this, then went on a road trip to visit 8 of my favorite spots over 9 days. Found plenty of good markets with properties on MLS that cash flow.

  • Real Estate Agent · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Nick Cresci finding a property that meets your criteria is hard to come by in today's market. With  record low inventory, it will be extremely difficult to hit the 1% rule for mls properties. If you do plan to purchase an investment property that meets your price, plan to have a low or zero due diligence period and very limited stipulations in your offer. Low ball offers in the nature of this sellers market will be laughed at. Obviously, I can only speak on behalf of my market (Atlanta, GA) but I assume the same conditions are present in other markets as well. Generally, your mid west and south east states are most prominent for low purchase price properties and cash flow specific investments. 

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nick Cresci:

    I'm new to the forum and looking to find markets to invest in. I think the ideal market would have a median price range for 3br/2bth in the 75,000 to 130,000.  I expect to be investing long distance I'm based in northern Nevada. Looking to get suggestion on any market that meet the criteria or how other BP members have found there market when there local market numbers don't work.  

     There are deals like this in Ohio.

  • Property Manager · Lansing, MI · Member since 2015 · 170 posts · 59 votes
    5y

    @Nick Cresci in Lansing and surrounding areas we are able to still find the type of deals you are referring to. I would be happy to discuss more about the area. To take a quick look at the available home go to glaronline.com. Let me know if you have an questions.

    @Jody Sperling are you doing mailers and if so where how has it worked for you?

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    Thank you all for the help! My apologies if I'm not responding correctly. I couldn't figure out how to respond to the individual posts. 

    Jody My goals / plan are to invest in RE for cashflow looking for single family or small multi family properties. I would like to use the BRRRR method if possible. Once I identify a market or markets looking to set up a team in that area. If I can manage a rehab with my I would be more then willing to.

    Antonio Great info thank you!

    Michael Thank you Atlanta sound a lot like my market.

    Remington Thank you what would you suggest I do to narrow it down to counties or cities?

    Drew Thank you for the info. I would like to discuss further and i will check out the website. I haven't done any mailers, still trying to narrow down a market to mail to.

  • Brandon GoldsmithBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Deals in this criteria are still possible, I would check out some Ohio markets and start to do some research from there. @Nick Cresci

  • Real Estate Broker · Huntsville, AL · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 872 votes
    5y

    As the Columbus folks have mentioned. There are deals in Ohio daily. 200+ sold multi-families here in Toledo since January 1st!

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2018 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Nick Cresci:

    I'm new to the forum and looking to find markets to invest in. I think the ideal market would have a median price range for 3br/2bth in the 75,000 to 130,000.  I expect to be investing long distance I'm based in northern Nevada. Looking to get suggestion on any market that meet the criteria or how other BP members have found there market when there local market numbers don't work.  

     Hi Nick, I would check out Ohio. Columbus, Cleveland, and Cincinnati would all be good markets to check out. 

  • Ian WalshBusiness Member
    Lender · Philadelphia, PA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    Physical proximity is always a good way to start.

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    Thank you very much everyone lots of good advice and it sounds like a good place to start would be Ohio.

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2016 · 531 posts · 310 votes
    5y

    @Nick Cresci I just visited Columbus to take a look at a few properties @Marc Rice is super knowledgeable and invests himself. I highly recommend him!

  • Marc RiceBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Nick Cresci Columbus is a great market to invest with appreciation and affordable entry points, plus cash flow. As @Antonio Cucciniello mentioned there are a lot of good markets and a local investor friendly team is key.

    Marc Rice | Investor Friendly Agent at Reafco Tailwind Team574 Reviews
  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Antonio Cucciniello Thank very much for the referral! I've reached out to Mark

  • Honolulu · Member since 2020 · 134 posts · 51 votes
    5y

    Welcome @Nick Cresci - from a fellow 'newbie' investor.  Good Luck!!

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Elin Trinh Thank you very much and good luck to you also! Do you have any markets that you were looking into?

  • Honolulu · Member since 2020 · 134 posts · 51 votes
    5y

    @Nick Cresci - I am signing papers on Wednesday for a duplex in San Antonio.  Super Excited & Nervous!! 

  • New to Real Estate · Member since 2020 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    5y

    @Elin Trinh Outstanding! Are you planning any particular strategy with it or just a good deal?

  • Boulder, CO · Member since 2019 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Drew Brown, I'm curious about the Lansing market as I have family there? Could I DM you to get a better feel for the market?

    @Drew Brown

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Remington Lyman:
    Originally posted by @Nick Cresci:

    I'm new to the forum and looking to find markets to invest in. I think the ideal market would have a median price range for 3br/2bth in the 75,000 to 130,000.  I expect to be investing long distance I'm based in northern Nevada. Looking to get suggestion on any market that meet the criteria or how other BP members have found there market when there local market numbers don't work.  

     There are deals like this in Ohio.

     Yea you can hit those numbers in the Cleveland area with easy. More info on Cleveland can be found in The Ultimate Guide to Grading Cleveland Neighborhoods if that's the route you want to look down.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.