Renting out rooms in Chesapeake, VA area

Renting out rooms in Chesapeake, VA area

Rental Property Investor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes

Hello BP! Basically the title. Pros and cons? Did you have to get permit/have the place inspected? How do you file for tax? What are the things that you would consider?

Thank you in advance!

0Reply
39 views

Most Popular Reply

Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
3y

Short term = less than 30 days. Corporate rental = less than 89 days. Anything 90 days or more falls under the VRLTAa d is considered long term. 

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Gretl Anne Fortuna No place in our market, including Chesapeake, requires a rents permit for a long term rental. Tax wise, you report all income, just like you do any other income.

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Gretl Anne Fortuna Are you talking about house hacking where you live or renting rooms separately where you don’t live? If the later, there are restrictions on how many non-related people you can have individual leases with. Basically they don’t allow boarding houses.

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Gretl Anne Fortuna Here is a link to the Chesapeake rental inspection info. https://www.cityofchesapeake.net/Assets/documents/departments/development_permits/handouts/Guidelines+for+Landlords.pdf

  • Rental Property Investor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    5y

    @Patti Robertson We’ll be house hacking our current house and rent out one extra room that we do not use. I see a lot of rooms for rent online (Roomies, Zumper etc) and I do not know if I can just list it right away. As always, you are a wealth of knowledge! Appreciate your help so much!

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @Gretl Anne Fortuna There is no regulation on “house sharing”. Go ahead!

  • Investor · NC · Member since 2018 · 39 posts · 8 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Patti Robertson:

    @Gretl Anne Fortuna No place in our market, including Chesapeake, requires a rents permit for a long term rental. Tax wise, you report all income, just like you do any other income.


     Hi Patti, I was wondering if you know what is considered a long term rental, specifically in Chesapeake? I recently purchased a property there that I plan to focus on doing month to month rentals, like a "medium-term" and after much research online and some phone calls to the city I am more confused than when I started. I want to be compliant, but I don't want to pay/do more than is required. Any insight appreciated! 

  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Heather Brown:
    Quote from @Patti Robertson:

    @Gretl Anne Fortuna No place in our market, including Chesapeake, requires a rents permit for a long term rental. Tax wise, you report all income, just like you do any other income.


     Hi Patti, I was wondering if you know what is considered a long term rental, specifically in Chesapeake? I recently purchased a property there that I plan to focus on doing month to month rentals, like a "medium-term" and after much research online and some phone calls to the city I am more confused than when I started. I want to be compliant, but I don't want to pay/do more than is required. Any insight appreciated! 


  • Patti RobertsonBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y

    Short term = less than 30 days. Corporate rental = less than 89 days. Anything 90 days or more falls under the VRLTAa d is considered long term. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.