How do I purchase with little to no money down?

How do I purchase with little to no money down?

Member since 2019 · 11 posts · 2 votes

Hello,

I am currently living in Norfolk, Va and house hacking a place I purchased in November of last year. I am looking to buy a rental property in the area for roughly 100-120k but I do not have the 20% down that most banks require. What are some ways that I can still get the money needed for a property without having to fork out 10-12k? 

1Reply
20 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 22 votes
5y

How much equity do you have in your current place? I've utilized 100 LTV helocs from a local CU that can give you some cash for a new deal. You could also move into a new house hack. Beyond that you could look at creative financing - owner, sub2, find a partner. With this finding an owner who will give you financing with little to no down will be a hard sell. I would also be cautious as well, if you don't have the 20% down what do your reserves look like? With little to no money your vulnerable especially as you add more units.

See this reply in the discussion

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    How much equity do you have in your current place? I've utilized 100 LTV helocs from a local CU that can give you some cash for a new deal. You could also move into a new house hack. Beyond that you could look at creative financing - owner, sub2, find a partner. With this finding an owner who will give you financing with little to no down will be a hard sell. I would also be cautious as well, if you don't have the 20% down what do your reserves look like? With little to no money your vulnerable especially as you add more units.

  • Rental Property Investor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2020 · 21 posts · 24 votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Chase Taylor:

    How much equity do you have in your current place? I've utilized 100 LTV helocs from a local CU that can give you some cash for a new deal. You could also move into a new house hack. Beyond that you could look at creative financing - owner, sub2, find a partner. With this finding an owner who will give you financing with little to no down will be a hard sell. I would also be cautious as well, if you don't have the 20% down what do your reserves look like? With little to no money your vulnerable especially as you add more units.

    Hey Chase. Side track....who are you using to get 100% LTV HELOCS?. I've got a cash flowing STR in Wintergreen that I'd love to pull back out $150k+ to put elsewhere.

  • Lender · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2019 · 175 posts · 82 votes
    5y

    @Timothy Allen I sure this is the obvious answer but low down options almost all reserved for primary residence. The real answer is to but a new principal residence every year if life and circumstances allow it. No cheaper way to finance. Obviously rents being sufficient to offset payments important part of be able to keep qualifying.

  • Sean RooksPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · High Point, NC · Member since 2017 · 272 posts · 304 votes
    5y

    Could also find a Seller Finance, or Subject-to with a low down payment term. But I agree, the best way would be to purchase a new primary when able and move in. 

  • Investor · Scottsdale Austin Tuktoyaktuk · Member since 2021 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    5y
    Originally posted by @Timothy Allen:

    Hello,

    I am currently living in Norfolk, Va and house hacking a place I purchased in November of last year. I am looking to buy a rental property in the area for roughly 100-120k but I do not have the 20% down that most banks require. What are some ways that I can still get the money needed for a property without having to fork out 10-12k? 

    Time travel to 2006 when money wasn't needed?

  • Rental Property Investor · Virginia Beach, VA · Member since 2014 · 32 posts · 22 votes
    5y

    @Russell Beach Bayport Credit Union. I doubt they’ll do it on an investment property however. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Torrance, CA · Member since 2016 · 724 posts · 1k+ votes
    5y

    @Timothy Allen Honestly, drive for DoorDash or something and save the darn money. Sometimes I think people put so much work into finding an easy way around a problem, that if they put that same energy directly at the problem, they’d get there faster. If you’re currently house hacking aren’t you’re living expenses less than average?

  • Rental Property Investor · Baltimore, MD · Member since 2014 · 12 posts · 3 votes
    5y

    Chase really hit the nail on the head with his initial answer, especially the part about the dangers of not having reserves. For low down payment options though, creative financing seems like your best bet, if you don't have the ability to house hack another home using owner occupied financing. If the deal is good enough, using private money or hard money, letting the seasoning period pass, then refinancing into a bank loan is an option, as well. 

    For bank financing though, some lenders will accept as low as 15% down on investment property purchase loans, if you can currently manage that, however, be aware, that there will likely be some type of reserve requirement that you'll have to meet on an investment property loan. 

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2019 · 434 posts · 248 votes
    5y

    @Timothy Allen

    Conventional loans only require 3% downpayment based off the sales price. Fha requires 3.5% down

    Both are great low down payment options that are fixed loans with low rates, and cheap pmi if you have a great credit score.

    Helocs are usually variable rates and usually a higher rate than a conventional or fha fixed loan

  • Real Estate Agent · McLean, VA · Member since 2015 · 11 posts · 6 votes
    5y

    Since you've almost been there a year, you could just repeat what you did with your current place. FHA loans are 3.5% down and you can get many owner occupied conventional loans for 5% down.

    I'm actually hosting a house hacking seminar on doing exactly what you're doing at the end of the month. We'll be at Commonwealth Brewing at 7pm on 28 July if you're interested. Message me if you want more info, I'm happy to chat!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.