Chicago A neighborhood condo as first property

Chicago A neighborhood condo as first property

Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 20 votes

Hello,

I am 35, live in Chicago and work in the Loop for a demanding finance company. I never owned any real estate and have been renting a high rise one bedroom for $1,800 in River North with my girlfriend for the past couple years, and we love it here.

I have done well in my career and am currently sitting on a mid 7 figure liquid portfolio all invested in equity index funds, and I think diversifying a bit in real estate might be a good strategy. Thanks to my high W2 income and not having any debt, it would also be easy to get approved for some cheap 2.x% financing.

Having never owned real estate, a good way to get started would be by owning my primary residence for a while, with the intent of eventually renting it out in a few years and in the meantime seeing how I feel about maintenance and home ownership in general.

Unfortunately, the areas I am looking at are in very high demand (River North, West Loop, Fulton Market), and have prices such that I would at best barely break even with rent after taking into account HOA and taxes ($300k-500k range for 1-2 bd, HOA in the ~$500/mo).

I understand condos in downtown are generally a bad investment, but I really don’t want my quality of life to suffer by moving far just for the sake of home ownership. I take great happiness in keeping my commute to a 20 minute walk door-to-door all year round (even winter!).

Do you think I have some hope of this being a reasonable strategy, or should I just keep renting?

At this time I really do not have time for buying and renting out properties, I would basically need someone to handhold me completely through the process, and I tend to be overly cautious of scams.

Thanks!

1Reply
21 views

2 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 46 posts · 20 votes
    5y

    Re-posted in a better forum: https://www.biggerpockets.com/...

    Please ignore!

  • Jonathan KlemmBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Contractor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    5y

    @John B. - I think you can totally find something in the downtown loop area that would work.  

    Also, just because your rents won't completely offset doesn't mean that's a total loss.  You really have 4 ways of increasing your net worth through owning properties.

    1. Cash flow (if any, maybe not much in your case)

    2.  Appreciation (always will go up in downtown area - long term)

    3. Debt pay down

    4. Tax advantages

    Also, I think if you link up with the right Chicago realtor and team you can find something to make some money right out of the gate on.  I know a decent amount of people who will flip condos, so maybe you could find something that needs work and fix it up before you move = instant equity, then sell after living there for two years and don't pay any capital gains tax.

    Happy to connect you with some good people if this is something that you really want to do.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.