High Bidder on Hubzu!

25 Replies

Our first "real" deal, and our market is so hot right now it's hard to get in on anything. so we checked out a Hubzu auction, walked the property, and put in a bid. And we're the high bidders! now we wait to see if they accept our bid, which I put as contingent on financing and inspection. Then we double check the earnest money agreement, as i have had agents warn me that they try to pull something where earnest money is not refundable. Then we get an acceptable PSA signed. Then I can get the foundation and septic guys out for inspections. lol, there's a lot of steps involved in these online auctions. not like the live auctions we've seen. anyone who has any words of wisdom for me, as i start down the Hubzu twisted trail?

Typically, there is no inspection on a hubzu, or any other, REO auction.

@Tracey Hamilton Did you submit the offer or did your agent? Any HUBZU auction that me or my clients have won on properties here in CT through HUBZU, they tell you at offer submission that inspections are not allowed.

Make sure you have a good title company/attorney closing the deal for you. The only issues I have had come up with HUBZU is sometimes there are title issues, but nothing that was to big of a deal not to be taken care of before closing.

I am a licensed agent here in Oregon, so I submitted the offer for us. I did the offer contingent on insurrection and financing. both were options. I also selected to use our own title ahs escrow. I'm going with one recommended by our counties top lender, so I'm confident she can close it. I got the message from Hubzu that the seller will review the bids and I should hear from them in 3-5 days.

Hubzu title company is literally the best in the world...at making you hate the world.

UPDATE!  Got an email from Hubzu stating that they have accepted our bid, and sending me a DocuSign document for contact information.  it's been 6 business days since close of auction, so that's not too bad.  I got the document sent back, and next I should be seeing the PSA.  I'm very interested to read the fine print because a local lender told me that he has heard of them wording the PSA in a way to be able to hold the earnest money should the deal not close.  He himself hasn't closed a deal for them, though, so he couldn't say for sure if that was just sour grapes or what.  

Going over all the numbers that we have at this point again tonight.  There's still a lot of unknowns, especially the foundation.  The listing said we could have inspection period and finance contingency, so I am very hopeful that the PSA honors that.  Otherwise, we're out of the deal.  

I'll post again when I get the PSA!  

Congrats! Best of luck & keep us posted! I've looked at a few HUBZU properties.

We will be using our own title and escrow,  so I should be spared the horrors, lol.

Got the Purchase and Sale Agreement today!  Looks pretty normal - I am having a more experienced broker look it over just to make sure.  They did include the mortgage contingency, so that is good.  

Husband and I are going to decide tonight if we're signing the contract, but as long as the mortgage contingency looks good to my mentor, and we can withdraw if needed after some inspections, then I think we will proceed.  


Basic numbers will be a $153,000 purchase price, estimated $100,000 rehab, and ARV of $299,000. We will have much better numbers after inspections and bids, and come up with the exact loan terms and carrying costs.

After lots of emaling with our lender and my brokerage mentor, and lining up potential contractors and subs for inspections, the husband and I are leaning very heavily towards NOT signing this PSA.  Without the inspection contingency, there is a lot of concern we could get trapped in the deal, even with negative inspection reports, because we have already pre-qualified for the rehab loans.  We feel like we could end up with a house that pencils out for the rehab approval, even with huge repairs to main systems, but will come up short on profit.  

We will watch and see if the property comes back up on Hubzu, in which case, we may bid again, once better prepared.  Or it may go to the next high bidder.  We will see.

Just for anyone else who is looking at doing one of these Hubzu auctions, and for my own clarity, I'll list out our lessons learned thus far:


1)  Double-double check your bidding registration form.  I *thought* that I had check-marked BOTH Mortgage Contingency and Inspection Contingency, but only the Mortgage Contingency is showing now, and only that one is in my PSA, which is making this deal too risky.  I still think I checked them both, but I cannot be sure, and I honestly can't see any reason why they'd negate one and leave the other.  So, I will be extra, extra double-sure next Hubzu auction.  I am still emailing the Altisource associate preparing the docs, without response, LOL, so who knows, maybe they'll add it.  

2)  If you have your brokerage license or an amenable agent, get your contractors and inspectors out there BEFORE the auction period starts to give you bids, even rough estimates.  This is one of the biggest issues we are having.  Inspections and bids are customarily done here after an offer is accepted, but that doesn't work well with Hubzu, and seems backwards to me anyways on a rehab project.   A whole-house inspection here is, I think, about $600.  Well worth it in the long run to ensure you don't end up stuck in a deal that doesn't work, or even just to avoid wasting 2-3 weeks in waiting and contingency periods on a property that you won't buy.  Some inspections, like a full septic inspection, probably can't be done without a signed PSA , but most can.  

3)  If a contractor or inspector tells you they can't or won't come out without a PSA, call another.  I stopped after the first foundation company told me this.  I should have kept going.  Yesterday I quickly lined up a half-dozen different contractors and subs who have zero problem meeting there and getting into things and giving me quotes.  I would have a lot more confidence today to sign that PSA (or to feel solid about NOT signing) if I had more accurate numbers.  

4) Make sure you understand the details of your lending process, if you're not an all-cash deal. I realized at midnight last night, that I'm fuzzy on exactly how my lender does the rehab approval process - does he use my "vision" for the rehab, and my scope of work, and my contractor bids along with his appraisers ARV to see if it works, or does the lender have their own "minimum standard" scope of work that they will instruct the contractors to bid on, and if that fits, I'm approved (and stuck, if I only have a Mortgage Contingency)? I was up half the night last night after that realization hit, going through potential scenarios and that's where I felt like we could get hurt - because I didn't clearly understand the process.

5)  Don't be afraid to go for the higher-priced, less-fixing properties.  We have been very focused on lower-cost properties, thinking we needed to use all our own funds.  After talking more with our lender, we pretty easily pre-qualified for some fat rehab loan limits.  Instead of starting with a total wreck, and doing a ton of sweat equity to make it nice, and then see a really big profit margin, we are now feeling much more comfortable with the idea of buying a decent place that just needs cosmetics, and seeing a narrower profit margin.  We originally thought we either couldn't swing that up front purchase price, or that the stress of having so much invested would be bad, but after running all the numbers on the major fixers, they're either simply not worth saving from a flip perspective, or we'd have just as much or more cash involved anyways, with lots more risk.  So we will be open to those properties, but not focus only on them.  

There's doubtless more lessons that will come as we go with this, but these are my big ones. I will probably still meet the contractors out there next week, and get bids, if only to sharpen my estimating skills and meet these guys. It's been 4 years since my husband was doing general contracting, and pricing is probably very different now. We're also told that it's very difficult to get good contractors to show up right now, because things are so hot and they're in demand. Both make it a good idea to start establishing contacts. I have asked my lender's rep to also come out and walk the property with me, even without a PSA. He is also a personal friend and supportive of our REI plans, so I am really hopeful that he will. This particular house is messed up enough that I don't know if it would qualify for conventional or not (maybe with holdbacks), and he can pretty much tell me by walking it. That will help me greatly on future projects to be able to at least guess at it on my own.

In the future I would take a picture on your phone for a record or screen shot the computer showing you chose both contingencies.  Thanks for the write up.  I have been looking for Hubzu properties in my area as well and appreciate you listing your experience. 

Thanks @Tracey Hamilton for the thorough explanation of your experience with Hubzu! My husband and I have our eyes on a Hubzu property and are doing as much research ahead of time as possible. I agree with @Carl Richter taking a picture of the contingencies selected is a good idea to protect you.

Tracy- any update on your deal. I'm bidding on a Hubzu property now and very curious how your deal pans out. I'm bidding all cash but want to add an inspection clause just in case. I'm running a title search before bidding to make sure the home has clear title. I'm guessing the final price will be around $225K. Repairs around $60K. ARV about $360K if all goes well.

I have bought properties before on HUBZU. Schedule inspection the day after the auction closes. So if you are the high bidder and ur bid is accepted you can right away do your inspection and then make a decision. They will not let you add inspection contingency. 

With regards to the title if the title is clouded you can void the contract without penalty. I advise getting your own title company for closing. Don't fall for saving $$ on title insurance by using Altisource's title company. I Did that mistake on my first deal and ended up having to clean up few misses on title search.

Originally posted by @Tom Gimer :

@David Weintraub Oh is Sage Acquisitions expanding their reach?

 I believe they have a new name.  New Delhi Abstract

Originally posted by @David Weintraub :
Originally posted by @Tom Gimer:

@David Weintraub Oh is Sage Acquisitions expanding their reach?

 I believe they have a new name.  New Delhi Abstract

You can provide superior customer service from 9 time zones away.

Because i cant inspect the house before bidding, What happened: if win a bid -> inspecting the property-> decided to back out because the rehab costs are to high

Do i have to pay anything?

Can i renegotiate? 

@Tomer Amir

If you back out, you are going to lose your earnest money deposit.  No they will not renegotiate based on your inspection

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here