I live in Virginia in the metropolitan DC area. I have dealt with many real estate agent trying to buy property or involved with friends or family in their purchases. I noticed that just about every agent has nice luxury car and they are very well dressed.
i am starting new with real estate. I just passed the state license and in process of submitting my application for the Real Estate Salesperson. I want to find out how important it is for an agent to have a luxury car and be very well dressed?
i have an older car and I dress casual. Would that be an issue?
The most important traits most look for in an agent are knowledge, attentiveness, attention to detail and negotiation skills. Focus on these traits and you will do fine.
Keep in mind it can be slow going to break in to this business. Don't overextend yourself to buy a luxury car or expensive clothing. Just be yourself and be a sponge for knowledge
The most important traits most look for in an agent are knowledge, attentiveness, attention to detail and negotiation skills. Focus on these traits and you will do fine.
Keep in mind it can be slow going to break in to this business. Don't overextend yourself to buy a luxury car or expensive clothing. Just be yourself and be a sponge for knowledge
I think a sensible car says that an agent is frugal and will be a good partner to have in a real estate transaction. The car should be well-taken care of, just like you want in that house you are going to buy. Same as your clothing. I personally would avoid the agent with the expensive car and watch. That tells me they put priority on making the deal close rather than putting my interests first.
The most important traits most look for in an agent are knowledge, attentiveness, attention to detail and negotiation skills. Focus on these traits and you will do fine.
Keep in mind it can be slow going to break in to this business. Don't overextend yourself to buy a luxury car or expensive clothing. Just be yourself and be a sponge for knowledge
I think back when my Dad took me to the office ( land sales) and there was a line up of Jeep Waggoneers with the wood siding :) Or like the metal siding salesmen with their Cadillac's. There was a day were a resi agent hauled people around in their car this has pretty much gone by the way side.
I think its like anything else when you become more successful you tend to want to buy nicer things.. Business casual for resi sales is certainly appropriate I do know top producing agents though that dress in expensive cloths. and female agents tend to dress sharply. U dont see many agents these days with Jacket and tie but its OK if you like that .. I grew up selling land so U dress appropriately for tromping through the woods. My wife dress nicely not over the top but certainly well put together outfits its just her style.
Today the car can be personal choice as well just make sure its not a spam can or rust bucket clean and neat and as a new agent dont go marrying a car note LOL..
I had an agent once tell me "you have to play the part." What he meant was, a lot of clients expect to see certain things from their agent (well dressed, nice car, etc). If you roll up in your 89 Corolla, you may feel frugal, but they may feel you aren't the right person for the job.
That said, I feel like when you reach a certain level of confidence in your abilities and what you've achieved, the humility to drive a sensible vehicle just makes you seem more legitimate. Either way, what you drive probably isn't going to be the biggest factor in making or breaking your real estate endeavors. Dress nice though!
I, like you, I'm an agent in Northern Virginia. I drove a Mazda 2 for the first three years of being an agent. I thought about this plenty of times while I was driving the Mazda and showing up to showings. What were my clients thinking of me.
I know drive a Mustang Mach E. I do think it makes a difference but might not be for obvious reasons.
The truth is that when you are starting out you do not want to sink yourself in debt, you need to low your expenses. The first two years are extremely challenging, I closed only 4 deals during my first two years. The third year, I was still driving the Mazda and I close 14, it is all about your personality and knowledge rather than your car.
However, there are benefits on buying a luxury car once you start making money.
Benefit 1: This is the biggest factor I bought the mustang Mach-e besides the aesthetics. The federal tax credit is $7500 during the year you buy the car. Now that I am filing taxes it made a big difference. My clients never really asked me about the car aesthetics but they were all very curious about it being electric. I didn't know gas was going to increase significantly, but here we are, driving an electric car helps with expenses as well when you are out for showings.
Benefit 2: Car business depreciation. You can also depreciate the asset for I believe it is three years to also lower the amount you will owe to uncle Sam.
Summing up, in my opinion, having a luxury car it does not make a big difference, you could have gotten your money from your business or from being part of a well off family or being in big debt. What makes a big difference is your knowledge and your personality.
When it makes sense to buy one, for financial reasons, to lower your tax bill, DO IT. You add that to your image, see it as a plus, but not a necessity. My clients love to talk about all the tax deductions and credits I got from it. It is another way to save money and investors love it
If you go for electric in the future double check which ones still have the $7500 tax credit, teslas don't for example, and also make sure to plan ahead for a reliable spot to charge at a low cost or free. Also, the wait list to get one is crazy as well so factor that. Extremely happy with my Mach E. Highly recommend.

I, like you, I'm an agent in Northern Virginia. I drove a Mazda 2 for the first three years of being an agent. I thought about this plenty of times while I was driving the Mazda and showing up to showings. What were my clients thinking of me.
I know drive a Mustang Mach E. I do think it makes a difference but might not be for obvious reasons.
The truth is that when you are starting out you do not want to sink yourself in debt, you need to low your expenses. The first two years are extremely challenging, I closed only 4 deals during my first two years. The third year, I was still driving the Mazda and I close 14, it is all about your personality and knowledge rather than your car.
However, there are benefits on buying a luxury car once you start making money.
Benefit 1: This is the biggest factor I bought the mustang Mach-e besides the aesthetics. The federal tax credit is $7500 during the year you buy the car. Now that I am filing taxes it made a big difference. My clients never really asked me about the car aesthetics but they were all very curious about it being electric. I didn't know gas was going to increase significantly, but here we are, driving an electric car helps with expenses as well when you are out for showings.
Benefit 2: Car business depreciation. You can also depreciate the asset for I believe it is three years to also lower the amount you will owe to uncle Sam.
Summing up, in my opinion, having a luxury car it does not make a big difference, you could have gotten your money from your business or from being part of a well off family or being in big debt. What makes a big difference is your knowledge and your personality.
When it makes sense to buy one, for financial reasons, to lower your tax bill, DO IT. You add that to your image, see it as a plus, but not a necessity. My clients love to talk about all the tax deductions and credits I got from it. It is another way to save money and investors love it
If you go for electric in the future double check which ones still have the $7500 tax credit, teslas don't for example, and also make sure to plan ahead for a reliable spot to charge at a low cost or free. Also, the wait list to get one is crazy as well so factor that. Extremely happy with my Mach E. Highly recommend.

to tag along with this if you need or can afford it.. vehicles with 6k lb weight you can 100% depreciate year one ( although careful of recapture) This includes the Tesla X which I have bought two.. plus at the time I got the 7500 and state of Oregon 2500.00 we just got for my wife's Model Y and since she is a full time agent she can do normal write offs. I don't consider any of these cars Luxury cars.. to me those are top end Benz's or BMW's Cadillac etc.
you buy a truck over 6k lbs and you are a full time agent you can write off 100% of that vehicle and I can see everyone in Texas needs a truck
As for charging Tesla hands down is the best for that with the super charger network and my model X is FREE 100% for the life of the car this adds a TON to resale value. Then in Oregon we are fortunate that our power goes down at 10pm at night till 6 am 14 cents a kilowatt goes to 4 cents during those hours.. Not sure if you Mach e is like our Tesla's but we can plug in and there is a timer where the car will start charging a the time you set.. so of course we set ours for 10pm and by 2 am we are full with 250 miles of range for about 3 dollars total our total range is 340 miles but i only put 250 on it at a time no need for more. . Not bad if you figure now we are paying about 4.50 a gallon out this way even at 20 miles to the gallon that would be 12 gallons of gas or about 50 bucks so we save 47.00 each fill up .. so this is starting to add to real money.. then of course when i am on a road trip my juice is totally free.. drive to Vegas totally free 1200 miles :)
Marketing 101, how am I perceived by the market that I intend to service. Should you be the face of your service, and does it match your messaging. My experience in the industry has shown that successful agents dress to their comfort, and work with clientele that have similar tastes.
The agents that are heavily into their traditional retail market sector, that is, showing local retail buyers within their own age cohort houses that they want to live in, yes, I believe they should do their best to look good. An agent's personal image is a huge part of successfully selling houses. You're not just selling a house, you're selling a lifestyle, even a dream. One of the easiest ways to do this is to look like you're financially successful. Every inch of you should look like you're making it in the world.
The problem is that most agents actually mistake the trappings of prosperity for the substance. They get into salesmanship without an understanding of clothes, shoes, makeup, cars, and their workout routine as tools to close a sale, but as expressions of self. They see these things are important ways to tell the world who they actually are. They believe their own baloney, in short. There are way too many shallow, self-absorbed, fundamentally stupid and incompetent people selling houses. And their fragile little vanity needs to be bolstered every day by fashionable clothes, a late-model luxury car, a giant pretense that they're living a wonderful aspirational life.
As a landlord, I don't have to put up with doing any of this crap myself. It's actually better for someone in my position if I don't excite class envy. I don't work to outdress, outdrive, outcrib my tenants. I have literally been told that I "live in squalor" and "there's nothing about my life worth wanting" by a dude I evicted the next month. I hide with pride. I prefer agents who deal primarily with investment properties, not the retail market. By and large, these agents do as I do. They're not selling me a lifestyle. They're selling me assets, preferably undervalued ones. I want them to sell me the steak, not the sizzle.
The agents that are heavily into their traditional retail market sector, that is, showing local retail buyers within their own age cohort houses that they want to live in, yes, I believe they should do their best to look good. An agent's personal image is a huge part of successfully selling houses. You're not just selling a house, you're selling a lifestyle, even a dream. One of the easiest ways to do this is to look like you're financially successful. Every inch of you should look like you're making it in the world.
The problem is that most agents actually mistake the trappings of prosperity for the substance. They get into salesmanship without an understanding of clothes, shoes, makeup, cars, and their workout routine as tools to close a sale, but as expressions of self. They see these things are important ways to tell the world who they actually are. They believe their own baloney, in short. There are way too many shallow, self-absorbed, fundamentally stupid and incompetent people selling houses. And their fragile little vanity needs to be bolstered every day by fashionable clothes, a late-model luxury car, a giant pretense that they're living a wonderful aspirational life.
As a landlord, I don't have to put up with doing any of this crap myself. It's actually better for someone in my position if I don't excite class envy. I don't work to outdress, outdrive, outcrib my tenants. I have literally been told that I "live in squalor" and "there's nothing about my life worth wanting" by a dude I evicted the next month. I hide with pride. I prefer agents who deal primarily with investment properties, not the retail market. By and large, these agents do as I do. They're not selling me a lifestyle. They're selling me assets, preferably undervalued ones. I want them to sell me the steak, not the sizzle.
Jim you must be describing wholesalers not agents :)
Be on time , answer the phone when it rings , listen to the client , bust your butt for them , give them results . And they wont care what you drive or what you wear . Results matter
Be on time , answer the phone when it rings , listen to the client , bust your butt for them , give them results . And they wont care what you drive or what you wear . Results matter
when I started at 18 I still had long hair from high school LOL..
Real estate is an image business and yes you will be perceived by the way you look. Not all clients will judge you but some will. More important is how competent you are, if you answer your phone, and respond quickly. In the beginning, you have to work with what you have and just hustle and overdeliver. As you grow into your career, you will want to invest in yourself.
Investing in a better wardrobe has been an easy 10x for me. Not only do they last longer and look better. You separate yourself from other agents. You actually don't have to spend a lot, I say $800 can get you a nice pair of shoes, dress slacks, and custom dress shirts. (Lifehack buy custom dress shirts. Better quality than Nordstrom and cheaper).
I live in Virginia in the metropolitan DC area. I have dealt with many real estate agent trying to buy property or involved with friends or family in their purchases. I noticed that just about every agent has nice luxury car and they are very well dressed.
i am starting new with real estate. I just passed the state license and in process of submitting my application for the Real Estate Salesperson. I want to find out how important it is for an agent to have a luxury car and be very well dressed?
i have an older car and I dress casual. Would that be an issue?
If you look at the small percent of agent's that are successful you'll realize that most of those high end cars were paid for by a high income earning spouse. Not the agent.
I live in Virginia in the metropolitan DC area. I have dealt with many real estate agent trying to buy property or involved with friends or family in their purchases. I noticed that just about every agent has nice luxury car and they are very well dressed.
i am starting new with real estate. I just passed the state license and in process of submitting my application for the Real Estate Salesperson. I want to find out how important it is for an agent to have a luxury car and be very well dressed?
i have an older car and I dress casual. Would that be an issue?
If you look at the small percent of agent's that are successful you'll realize that most of those high end cars were paid for by a high income earning spouse. Not the agent.
@Kanchi Ji
I think how well the car is taken care of is more important than if the car is luxury or not. My car was recently rear ended and has some damage on the back and I've noticed a difference in the way people talk to me when I pull up with it damaged compared to before. Hopefully the body shop can get the replacement bumper soon.
Most of those agents are probably broke and the car is fleased.
Be you....find clients who appreciate your value not flash.
Sure there are clients who like the flash, but there are also many who resent it and see that they are paying for the lifestyle.
I know for example, I do not want to pay the rent of my CPA to be in a 50th floor, wood paneled office building with a doorman. I want the one that owns the building and is more salt of the earth.
Lead with revenue. When you can pay cash for the car, then go do it. I say dress professionally though.....depending on where you are.
Also think about what your clients want.....if you are working with investors, maybe jeans, safety vest, and hard hat are appropriate.
Selling Beverly Hills, maybe the rolls is important.
Selling Austin to tech workers relocating from CA, maybe the Tesla is important.
Selling Ranches in Wyoming maybe 4 wheel drive Dodge Ram towing a SideXSide is important.
I happen to be a Wyoming agent and can tell you I've shown houses in boots, tennis shoes, dress shoes, and flip flops. I'm not a slob, but I don't dress to impress, either. I've been in larger cities where agents drive nice cars and wear suits. In my area, people are either dressed in jeans and cowboy boots or jeans and nicer sports gear/casual clothing. Business casual is about as fancy as it gets for the men; women tend to dress a little nicer.
Same with vehicle. I need something that gets me where I'm going and does what I need it to do. Most agents want a newer vehicle that looks nice and doesn't break down while showing homes.
You have to look at your market and determine the expectation and how you want to present yourself. Flashy cars and suits can certainly help, just like a low-cut top and nice smile helps a lot of women.
Most of those agents are probably broke and the car is fleased.
Be you....find clients who appreciate your value not flash.
Sure there are clients who like the flash, but there are also many who resent it and see that they are paying for the lifestyle.
I know for example, I do not want to pay the rent of my CPA to be in a 50th floor, wood paneled office building with a doorman. I want the one that owns the building and is more salt of the earth.
Lead with revenue. When you can pay cash for the car, then go do it. I say dress professionally though.....depending on where you are.
Also think about what your clients want.....if you are working with investors, maybe jeans, safety vest, and hard hat are appropriate.
Selling Beverly Hills, maybe the rolls is important.
Selling Austin to tech workers relocating from CA, maybe the Tesla is important.
Selling Ranches in Wyoming maybe 4 wheel drive Dodge Ram towing a SideXSide is important.
My wife happened to come into my office and saw this thread she said do people really ask this stuff on BP.. I said you bet they do and it leads to long conversations with diametrically opposed opinions. Lori ( my wife) was a trainer for Floyd Wickman in the day.. Most of the BP members wont know who Floyd is but they may know his son Gino who is a successful author in his own right.. Floyd had the premier advanced training and coaching for Real Estate agents in the day. And Lori said that Floyd would always say Dress for success your appearance is very important in the RE sales game..
However I agree with you dress for the occasion . If your selling crap low end rentals that stink like hell and are thorough thrashed ( I have been in literally thousands of them in my funding job) And these are the conditions of these homes per rehab and waiting to sell to yet another new landlord who is going give it a go :) you dont want your best duds for those activities . If your meeting buyer who is going to buy a multi million dollar facility IE MF Commerical storage whatever then nice appearance is warranted.. Then like you said and what I did when I started selling land only.. You have the 4 by 4 you have your jeans strong boots and so on.. Same when I was in Timber 4X4 with my quad in the back..
"Dress how you want to be addressed." - Unknown
Looks matter...it's not opinion, it's biology/brain chemistry/evolution. It's table stakes (a given). It doesn't take much effort or cost and many smart casual/work clothes are comfortable now and can be worn everywhere (work, night out, friends/family events). My wife buys me Bonobos pants, Mizzen and Main shirts, and Cole Haan shoes (that look dressy but feel like sneakers). They are affordable compared to legacy dress clothes, don't need to be dry cleaned, super comfortable, and they go everywhere. Same with car...clean, well-kept car is all it takes.
@Jay Hinrichs was she a sweathog or a starmaker?
@Jay Hinrichs was she a sweathog or a starmaker?
good question I will ask when she wakes up !!! I knew she flew to Detroit though and would do the training there.
As an agent I tend to dress in a casual and comfortable manner and let me knowledge and friendliness lead the way. I drive a 2003 Honda Element. I thought about getting something "nicer" but I love this car and don't want anything different. For new clients and showing appointments I'll dress up slightly (button down shirt or blazer) but I don't put on a 3 piece suit because it's just not me. I think be yourself but the nicest version of yourself and if you drive a less than fancy car just keep it clean and looking as good as it can.
I live in Virginia in the metropolitan DC area. I have dealt with many real estate agent trying to buy property or involved with friends or family in their purchases. I noticed that just about every agent has nice luxury car and they are very well dressed.
i am starting new with real estate. I just passed the state license and in process of submitting my application for the Real Estate Salesperson. I want to find out how important it is for an agent to have a luxury car and be very well dressed?
i have an older car and I dress casual. Would that be an issue?
I think there are two sides to this school of thought. On one end, being a real estate agent and owning a luxury car might give you a sophisticated image towards buyers allowing you to leverage this towards more deals. On the other hand I think that it COULD give you the air of someone more interested in making a deal than a real sense of care for the buyer. Personally I think that a nice car and image, if you are not shallow and arrogant, can be a great tool to leverage people in your favor in regards to your supposed knowledgeability and real estate prowess.
@Jay Hinrichs was the first and only mortgage originator to go through Wickman's trainer acadamy:) Was there the day they presented with his naming rights they reacquired for him.
CARS:
Just understand that your automobile is an extension of you and your brand image.
You will attract clients that value whatever that image is.