I live in Virginia in the metropolitan DC area. I have dealt with many real estate agent trying to buy property or involved with friends or family in their purchases. I noticed that just about every agent has nice luxury car and they are very well dressed.
i am starting new with real estate. I just passed the state license and in process of submitting my application for the Real Estate Salesperson. I want to find out how important it is for an agent to have a luxury car and be very well dressed?
i have an older car and I dress casual. Would that be an issue?
Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
4y
The most important traits most look for in an agent are knowledge, attentiveness, attention to detail and negotiation skills. Focus on these traits and you will do fine.
Keep in mind it can be slow going to break in to this business. Don't overextend yourself to buy a luxury car or expensive clothing. Just be yourself and be a sponge for knowledge
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
4y
@Kanchi Ji I drive a 2015 Mazda 6 with about 130,000 miles on it and I sold $15 million last year. People don't care about your car, they care about the service.
Real Estate Agent · Beckley, WV · Member since 2018 · 51 posts · 42 votes
4y
Here in West Virginia I don't think that matters at all! I think what is important is building rapport with your clients. I've made $300K + deals in a Nike Jumpsuit and have also made $25k deals in Business casual attire. Being Knowledgable, friendly, attentive, etc goes a lot further than showing up in the newest model off the lot. I will agree with what @Jay Hinrichs says though, and 100% believe that you will have some clients that you will need to "play the part" but from my experience the above mentioned qualities supersede nice cars & clothes.
Realtor · Branson, MO · Member since 2018 · 272 posts · 283 votes
4y
It just entirely depends on who you want to be as a realtor and what part of the country you live in. If you're a quality agent and you work hard and are smart, who gives a sh*t what car you drive or how fancy you look. I'd rather put $50k into another investment property than put $ into a showoff car. Some agents are all about that though. The HGTV Million Dollar Listing agent wannabes. The "Celebrealtors". Just do you and if you feel like you need a nice ride to feel confident, go get it. I loved my BMW 550i but it ended up having engine issues. I'd rather put realtor miles on a basic sedan than my nice luxury toy.
Its not that important. Dress nice, not look homeless, and dont over spend on a car. Lord knows the first few years are hard enough without having payments hanging over your head in addition to building a business.
Agents who are driving really nice cars have really big payments, and if they are not collecting a lot of commission checks then they are really in a bad spot unless they have passive income...which sadly.. not many agents do.
The clients you gain work with you because of who you are and how you come across on the phone or whatever medium of conversation you use. They aren't working with you because of your car. Go out there, lead with value, keep your expenses low, invest in real estate, and you will be fine.
@Joaquin Camarasa nice car. With the pre-order lists for f-150s and mustangs the way they are I doubt he would qualify as the 200k tax credits allotment will likely be gone. Unless they come out with a new credit, or maybe a large portion of the f-150s are work trucks and don't eat away at the credit.
Real Estate Agent · Burlington MA · Member since 2018 · 113 posts · 142 votes
4y
@Kanchi Ji
You are not selling cars or clothes, so I don’t think these are as important as people might think they are.
If you don’t own a home already, invest your money and efforts into buying one. Not only you will learn so much throughout the process but your clients will take you way more serious.
Investor · PA · Member since 2021 · 20 posts · 15 votes
4y
@Greg H. I agree with you Greg. Your character, knowledge, and capability should be the main focus. I'd recommend investing money in education, like high quality books (Millionaire mindset, think and grow rich, etc.). They are a lot cheaper than luxury cars and clothing, and actually advance you as a person.
Flipper/Rehabber · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2017 · 223 posts · 177 votes
4y
I think it’s a good idea to dress one step up from your clients. That way you a similar in appearance but also positioning yourself as professional relative to the client.
You will also want to think about what’s typical in your area. If the average sales price is $800k+ then you will probably want to dress in at least a blazer, probably a suit, and maybe even a tie.
Your impression will be made with a combination of factors. Once you get more knowledge and experience then maybe you don’t have to compensate with such a more professional experience.
As far as the car goes, drive what you have now but keep it clean. Buy a car later when you need more write offs on your taxes.
@Kanchi Ji I’ve made a pretty successful career in selling RE driving whatever I drive and wearing what I want. I drove an old Kia Sportage for years because I spent my money on investments and not cars. I wear jeans and hoodies every day. Be you and do a great job for your clients. They won’t care! PS- always a good idea to look slightly better when meeting someone for the first time…
Investor · Fremont, CA · Member since 2015 · 209 posts · 124 votes
4y
When looking for my first property, we had agent driving us arround in a BMW 5 series, while good to sit. Every time I would say to myself, this is all coming from my money. I think, a decent clean car is a good enough.
Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
4y
I'm a real estate agent. I dress casual, even when meeting clients for the first time. I've even shown up to showings wearing shorts and a T shirt. I walk around construction sites quite a bit monitoring projects and I'm not going to be wearing a suit in 100 degree weather while doing that or walking through knee deep mud.
I also drive a 2013 Toyota Camry.
It's more important to clients that you know what you're doing than what car you drive.
Developer · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2014 · 475 posts · 424 votes
4y
@Kanchi Ji
Congrats on passing the test.
Don’t worry about any of that. The car or how you dress has nothing to do with the quality of the agent. As others have stated stated, knowledge and hard work make the agent.
I drive a ‘93 Chevy s 10 pick-up with a very Loud squeaky door. Lol. I proudly hop out of that car in any area ,whether I’m showing a million dollar home and an abandoned property.
Don’t worry about wardrobe either. Always dress appropriately…..but don’t feel like you have to wear fancy suits. Sometimes I show up in sweats and a hoodie and sometimes I’m in a suit. But every single time I show up…I am prepared and give my clients 100% effort and that’s what it’s all about.
Be your authentic self and provide great service. That’s all that matters. True character lies in the person, not in material possessions.
Investor · Milwaukee - Mequon, WI · Member since 2010 · 5k+ posts · 7k+ votes
4y
Have some class people!! What's up with this race to the bottom?
To any of you how sold a nice house dressed like a slob or in pyjamas, rest assured that your clients were rolling their eyes behind your back!
What are your professional standards?
The rule in sales is to dress at least to match your clients, maybe half a degree nicer. If your clients show up with a dress shirt and a jacket, you look like a fool in shorts. BTW you also look like a fool in a black Sunday suit showing a 50k house in the hood. It's called overdressed.
You don't want to show off; you don't want /need to dress expensive, but you want to look well put together and professional! And the same is true for your car. Don't show up in a dirty rust bucket! And if you drive a rust bucket, make sure it's clean!
Even though I personally drive a big tax write off I paid cash for, it is not necessary! A non-discriptive middle class car or SUV is fine. And no problem if it's a few years old, as long as it is clean.
But good luck taking getting a nice listing when you show up the first time with pants hanging down your butt and a dirtly rust bucket!
I don't know where your focus in the DC MSA, but let me say-- those houses are EXPENSIVE, and I think people can calculate how much commission you'll make off a $800,000 or $2M house, they want someone to really fight for them and get them the best deal. You aren't selling a tiny farm, or a cute little 2bd house for $100k. The image absolutely matters, especially with the type of people you are selling to! These buyers make really good money, and likely wouldn't understand why you'd be driving a 1998 Toyota corolla (example), not to mention-- it would signal you're not very good at your job, people absolutely judge. Take it or leave it, you're picking an industry that does judge on looks.
I don't think you need anything brand new, but you could easily find a luxury vehicle that's 5-7 years old, that gives off the image you want, but doesn't come with the heavy price tag. Good luck!
Real Estate Agent · New York City · Member since 2021 · 11 posts · 5 votes
4y
Hey man,
Being relatively young and a broker in Manhattan I know from experience your image has a lot to do with peoples initial reaction of you. If you're meeting clients for the first time or pitching a deal being young is already a tick against you. Image starts the conversation but your knowledge carries the conversation.
Now with that out of the way I'm not saying blow everything on fancy shoes and nice cars for the initial impression, all I am saying is just be presentable and look sharp! There is a time for nice cars and nice clothes focus on the work first and you'll be fine. Good luck man!
I don't know where your focus in the DC MSA, but let me say-- those houses are EXPENSIVE, and I think people can calculate how much commission you'll make off a $800,000 or $2M house, they want someone to really fight for them and get them the best deal. You aren't selling a tiny farm, or a cute little 2bd house for $100k. The image absolutely matters, especially with the type of people you are selling to! These buyers make really good money, and likely wouldn't understand why you'd be driving a 1998 Toyota corolla (example), not to mention-- it would signal you're not very good at your job, people absolutely judge. Take it or leave it, you're picking an industry that does judge on looks.
I don't think you need anything brand new, but you could easily find a luxury vehicle that's 5-7 years old, that gives off the image you want, but doesn't come with the heavy price tag. Good luck!
Definitely depends where you're at and what niche you work in. I drive a chopped up, modded-out, twice-totaled Toyota pickup that is perpetually dirty, but I work in the agricultural real estate niche so it's normal and borderline expected you have a capable vehicle with some dirt on it... Gotta get to work and a flashy or heavy pickup doesn't cut it! Most Ag deals out here are well >$1mm, too (not that I'm an agent, I'm a syndicator and operator, but I still raise capital and press the flesh).
Specialist · Midland, TX · Member since 2018 · 198 posts · 148 votes
4y
Also, people often just plain suck. Don't let it take your peace. They'll judge you for having a fancy car (sorry, I try not to) or they'll judge you for having a junker.
If you're just getting started, don't stress about your car. Keep it very tidy inside and washed and you'll be fine. Focus on being the best agent they've ever had and go "three levels deep" as David Greene always says.
Rental Property Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2008 · 543 posts · 121 votes
4y
There's a type of agent for every client. Some people will look at the agent you describe and think they're pretentious. The important this is no matter what you were be sure to look like you but some time into you appearance. Khakis and a collard **** is ok but make sure they're clean and tucked, your shoes and belt are not ragged. Don't go into debt trying to be something you're not, yet.