Our only unit in Chicago had a pipe burst over the winter, and our current property manager has been a disaster getting repairs even started. Looking for a property manager/agent with a team to get the damages repairs and the house on the market. I've been in the dark so I dont even have a good idea what the actual damage is.
If that's you, or you have a recommendation, please reach out.
Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 154 posts · 91 votes
4y
@Ken Mikkalson As mentioned above, I would definitely give Mark Ainley at GC Realty a call. @Jared Kottruns an awesome property management company too so you should give him a call as well.
If you need any additional help, feel free to reach out to me any time. I'm here to help.
Shawnee Mission, KS · Member since 2016 · 716 posts · 313 votes
4y
Property managers are viewed as low hanging fruit doesn’t pay as well as other real-estate deals. The point is getting a good manager to do a job right is difficult. They will take on as much work as possible more equals more money, once they get BIG, they have to hire someone who may not get paid what they are worth that equals not answering calls etc...
You need to use word of mouth would be your best bet to find a good property management company .
I am small I will answer all calls pronto they are in my phone by address and name, not unusual for me to go over that same day. I can and would still work at this level with more properties just how I roll. I avoid S.F.H that are in bad shape ,fact I gut them then rent like most owners I would hope .
Investor · Birmingham, AL · Member since 2015 · 119 posts · 148 votes
4y
I see others have given you the same advice...give @Mark Ainley a call with GC Realty. They are a fantastic group of property managers and investors. Have you heard their podcast? Straight Up Chicago Investor...good group!
In our experience, the #1 mistake owners make when selecting a Property Management Company (PMC) is ASSUMING instead of CONFIRMING.
It's often a case of not doing enough research, as they don't know what they don't know!
Owners mistakenly ASSUME all PMCs offer the exact SAME SERVICES and PERFORM those services EXACTLY THE SAME WAY, so price is the only differentiator.
So, the first question they usually ask a PMC is about fees - instead of asking about services and HOW those services are executed.
EXAMPLE: PMC states they will handle tenant screening – what does that specifically mean? What documents do they require, what credit scores do they allow, how do they verify previous rental history, etc.? You’d be shocked by how little actual screening many PMC’s do!
This also leads owners to ASSUME simpler is better when it comes to management contracts.
The reality is the opposite - if it's not in writing then the PMC doesn't have to provide the service or can charge extra for it!
We have a 14-page management contract that we've added our real experiences to over the years, with the intent of protecting both us AND the landlord. Beyond the Monthly Management, Placement & Maintenance fees, all other fees in our contract are IF EVENT -> THEN fees.
We don’t know any PMCs to recommend in the area mentioned, but since selecting the wrong PMC is usually more harmful than selecting a bad tenant, you might want to read our series about “How to Screen a PMC Better than a Tenant”:
We recommend you get management contracts from several PMCs and compare the services they cover and, more importantly, what they each DO NOT cover.
EDUCATE YOURSELF - yes, it will take time, but will lead to a selection that better meets your expectations & avoids potentially costly surprises!
P.S. If you just hire the cheapest or first PMC you speak with and it turns into a bad experience, please don’t assume ALL PMC’s are bad and start trashing PMC’s in general. Take ownership of your mistake and learn to do the proper due diligence recommended above😊