My agent won’t submit an offer…

My agent won’t submit an offer…

Member since 2025 · 37 posts · 21 votes

I'm working with an agent who won't submit an offer until I go and see a property in person...

I'm trying to buy an investment property, not my dream home. 

is this normal? 

5Reply
513 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
1y
Quote from @Andrew Garcia:

@Russell Brazil I have never bought a property sight unseen. I was just talking about seeing it prior to the offer. Is it standard to put eyes on a home 100% of the time before you submit the offer? 

If you are someone who doesn't regularly buy property site unseen, yes you should always view a property first. Your offer won't be viewed as a serious one site unseen unless you're buying it with zero contingencies attached. 
See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Garcia:

    I'm working with an agent who won't submit an offer until I go and see a property in person...

    I'm trying to buy an investment property, not my dream home. 

    is this normal? 


     How many properties have you bought site unseen?

    • Member since 2025 · 37 posts · 21 votes
      1y

      @Russell Brazil I have never bought a property sight unseen. I was just talking about seeing it prior to the offer. Is it standard to put eyes on a home 100% of the time before you submit the offer? 

    • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
      Moderator
      Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Andrew Garcia:

      @Russell Brazil I have never bought a property sight unseen. I was just talking about seeing it prior to the offer. Is it standard to put eyes on a home 100% of the time before you submit the offer? 

      If you are someone who doesn't regularly buy property site unseen, yes you should always view a property first. Your offer won't be viewed as a serious one site unseen unless you're buying it with zero contingencies attached. 
  • Member since 2024 · 65 posts · 62 votes
    1y
    While I don’t know your situation, I’ve told my broker that I’m an out of state investor. But even if I lived closer, I’m not sure I’d view every property prior to submitting offers. If there are good pics, and you have your info (rent roll, T12), make the offer without seeing the property.
    • Member since 2025 · 37 posts · 21 votes
      1y

      @Tim W. I agree. Plus, if you have an option period, you always have that time to back out if you find something major.

      have you had agents refuse to work with you for not seeing properties in person?

  • Member since 2023 · 18 posts · 2 votes
    1y

    Does it have to do with the required buyer's agreement?  Seems to me an offer could be placed unseen.  If you need a referral, I have an agent in my network in San Antonio who could help. 

  • Theresa HarrisPro Member
    Member since 2019 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    1y

    How many offers are you placing?  They could see it as you wasting their time because you may put in an offer and then pull out.  Even if it is a hot market, make sure you go and look at the place in person before the conditions are removed.

    • Member since 2025 · 37 posts · 21 votes
      1y

      @Theresa Harris I've placed 2 and both properties the seller chose another buyer. I haven't pulled out of a deal with my agent. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    1y

    If you are competing against multiple offers sight unseen offers will be at a disadvantage. Your agent is probably trying to make sure no ones time is wasted and you are putting your best foot forward. I have helped clients put sight unseen offers but it's always a pain and there is often something that could have been seen when offering to make negotiations easier. 

  • MD/DC · Member since 2024 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I received multiple offers on two properties a few years back and didn’t even consider the sight unseen with contingencies. 

  • Don KonipolBusiness Member
    Investor · The Woodlands TX / Avon, CT · Member since 2009 · 6k+ posts · 10k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Garcia:

    I'm working with an agent who won't submit an offer until I go and see a property in person...

    I'm trying to buy an investment property, not my dream home. 

    is this normal? 

    So, find another agent who’ll do what you want.  This one has set up a “smell test” that you don’t pass.  
    Private Mortgage Financing Partners, LLC
    • Member since 2025 · 37 posts · 21 votes
      1y

      @Don Konipol Well, I could find another agent. I haven't signed a buyer's rep. However, I don't want to let my ignorance get in the way. If seeing a property before the offer strengthens my chance of the seller picking me then so be it. I just want to know if this is standard amongst the majority of agents

    • Realtor · Boulder, CO · Member since 2016 · 3k+ posts · 5k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Andrew Garcia:

      @Don Konipol Well, I could find another agent. I haven't signed a buyer's rep. However, I don't want to let my ignorance get in the way. If seeing a property before the offer strengthens my chance of the seller picking me then so be it. I just want to know if this is standard amongst the majority of agents


       If you haven't signed a buyer's rep, they are not your agent. That may be part of the reason they won't submit the offer for you. 

    • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
      Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
      1y
      Quote from @Don Konipol:
      Quote from @Andrew Garcia:

      I'm working with an agent who won't submit an offer until I go and see a property in person...

      I'm trying to buy an investment property, not my dream home. 

      is this normal? 

      So, find another agent who’ll do what you want.  This one has set up a “smell test” that you don’t pass.  

      I agree Don, Although I will say when I owned my brokerage in Oregon ( had 50 agents) Agents would come to me with these kind of buyers. I would always encourage them to make sure they had  rock solid POF  and lending lined up. Especially if a guru has just come through town. these can be huge time wasters for agents.. So there is balance there.. trying to service a willing and able buyer and not wasting and agents time shot gunnning offers.
    • Member since 2025 · 3 posts · 0 votes
      1y
      Quote from @Andrew Garcia:

      @Don Konipol Well, I could find another agent. I haven't signed a buyer's rep. However, I don't want to let my ignorance get in the way. If seeing a property before the offer strengthens my chance of the seller picking me then so be it. I just want to know if this is standard amongst the majority of agents


       Please PM me I can help you with ALL of this. Literally this is what I do.

  • Real Estate Broker · Cleveland Dayton Cincinnati Toledo Columbus & Akron, OH · Member since 2013 · 30k+ posts · 20k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Garcia:

    I'm working with an agent who won't submit an offer until I go and see a property in person...

    I'm trying to buy an investment property, not my dream home. 

    is this normal? 


     Agent doesn't think you're a serious buyer. Offer the Agent $200 to write the offer.

  • Henry ClarkPro Member
    Developer · Member since 2020 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    OP.  Put a nonrefundable $5k deposit subject to offer acceptance.  They will know you’re serious.  

  • Member since 2024 · 68 posts · 25 votes
    1y
    Find another agent.  Be upfront that you're remote and that you'll make an offer site unseen and that YOU ARE depending on your agent to take a look at the property and offer their PROFESSIONAL opinion on the property.  You also have to show you're serious as well.  I think that will make a huge difference as well.  

    I've purchased a couple of commercial properties out of state.  Both times, I've made offers without seeing the property in person.  I get my broker's opinion, and I make an offer based on that.  When the LOI is signed and we're moving along, I'll fly into town to do a walk through of the property.  

    Find an agent that knows the area, property, etc very well.  I trust my guy.  I'll send him properties and he'll give me his opinion on them.  9 out of 10 times he'll tell me, "I don't like it because of x, y, z."  He was actually the selling broker on my first property. I like the guy, his knowledge, etc, so I approached him afterwards for future purchases.  He knows I'm serious since I've worked with him before.  

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Garcia:

    I'm working with an agent who won't submit an offer until I go and see a property in person...

    I'm trying to buy an investment property, not my dream home. 

    is this normal? 

    Hi Andrew! It’s not super common, but it’s also not unheard of—some agents are more comfortable having their clients see a property in person before submitting an offer, especially if they’re used to working with retail buyers instead of investors. For investors, though, it’s pretty normal to make offers sight unseen as long as you’ve run your numbers and build in contingencies for inspection, appraisal, or walk-through. A lot of out-of-state investors do this all the time, especially in markets like Columbus, Ohio where the deals can move quickly. I moved from Portland to Columbus in 2020 and now own 10+ rentals here, and many of the investors I see in this market are buying without hopping on a plane first because they trust their team and have clear due diligence steps in place. If your agent isn’t comfortable with that approach, you may want to find one who’s more investor friendly because flexibility and speed are important when you’re trying to lock up good deals. Happy to connect and answer any questions you have!

  • Adam BartomeoBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Cape Coral, FL · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    1y

    I rarely view a property until after I am under contract. I only require a buyer to view it if I do not have experience with that buyer or if they are sending signals of being flakey. 

  • Member since 2025 · 37 posts · 21 votes
    1y

    .

  • Nicholas L.Pro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Pittsburgh · Member since 2018 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    1y

    @Andrew Garcia

    i know this wasn't your question but i'll ask anyway... stepping back from this agent, why are you trying to buy out of state sight unseen?  that is a spectacularly high risk strategy. 

    we're here to help...

  • Sam McCormackBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Cincinnati, OH/NKY · Member since 2021 · 1k+ posts · 833 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Garcia:

    I'm working with an agent who won't submit an offer until I go and see a property in person...

    I'm trying to buy an investment property, not my dream home. 

    is this normal? 

    Seems like an agent that hasn't worked much with out of state investors, is this true?

    If he has experience with OOS investors, that's weird. If he doesn't have experience, maybe it's best you get another agent with that experience. Not sure how you know this guy or how you hired him, just my thoughts
    Sam McCormack Realtor
    View Page
  • Member since 2025 · 104 posts · 37 votes
    1y
    Quote from @Andrew Garcia:

    I'm working with an agent who won't submit an offer until I go and see a property in person...

    I'm trying to buy an investment property, not my dream home. 

    is this normal? 

    I work with a lot of Investors that submit offers without physically looking at the Property.
  • Scott AllenBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2020 · 449 posts · 471 votes
    1y

    @Andrew Garcia I write offers all the time for clients that are unable to see the property before offering because they're typically out of state. If you're looking in Columbus, I can put some offers together for you

    Reafco - Columbus, OH
  • Real Estate Broker · Coppell, TX · Member since 2011 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    1y

    There are some properties that specifically state in the listings "NO BLIND OFFERS".  Typically these are ones that are in pretty bad shape.  The listing agent wants to make sure you see it before you bid, so you know what you are getting into and don't back out once you see it.  Are you ALL CASH?  Real Cash, not go find the cash?   Some properties may not finance.  Some agents dont want retrade.  

    So not that common, but also not unheard of.  Obviously pretty tough to see it if you aren't local.  Do you have a contractor or "boots on the ground" that can go see it for you?  You might see if you can find someone that will go take pictures and video for you.  Maybe a home inspector on their down time for $100 or something like that.

    Good luck and best wishes.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.