The future of RE agents?????

The future of RE agents?????

Involved In Real Estate · Rochester, NY · Member since 2011 · 138 posts · 11 votes

In full disclosure, I AM a licensed RE agent.

But as an Investor, I have asked myself that question. And I say: it depends.

Most good agents build relationships with their clients. And most good agents are resources for just about anything: attorneys, financing, handyman, lodging, schools, etc.

If you're looking to only use an agent to "look" at the mls, well then I think you get what you get. (BTW, here in NY if I give a non-licensed person access to the mls, that is a violation and I could lose my license.) Agents PAY for the use of their mls, through dues. We pay to belong to a local board for those privileges.

I've read on other threads about this agent does this or doesn't do that. Agents perform ALOT of non $$ things for their clients. Good agents know how to build their business and referrals. And sometimes, after all that work, the agent is the FIRST to get thrown under the bus. And the FIRST person everyone looks to when there's not enough money to close so "can you cut your commissions?"

The internet has changed the agent's job so much. I myself am able to research alot of properties BEFORE I even have to call an agent.

So I'm just putting it out there: What future do YOU see for RE agents? And can agents do NOW to help investors solve their problems?

0Reply
71 views

Most Popular Reply

J ScottPro Member
Moderator
Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
15y
Originally posted by Kathy V.:

So I'm just putting it out there: What future do YOU see for RE agents? And can agents do NOW to help investors solve their problems?

In my opinion, RE agents will eventually go away. As information becomes more widely and easily available, the system of real estate transactions will become more frictionless, and will eventually be commoditized.

I wouldn't be surprised if real estate "consultants" remained -- people paid on an hourly basis to help with transactional details and paperwork -- and I wouldn't be surprised if real estate attorneys took a more prominent role in the complicated transactions, but I don't think the value of real estate agents is there.

Ultimately, agents do the following:

- Help procure buyers for sellers and help procure housing prospects for buyers;

- Help with negotiation;

- Fill out forms and deal with procedural details of the transaction;

- Coordinate closings.

The first bullet above is by-far the most important, and eventually the Internet will provide the ability for buyers and sellers to find each other without a middleman.

All that said, real estate agents have a very strong lobby, so they probably won't go away as quickly as they should.

And full disclosure, I'm a licensed agent.

See this reply in the discussion

32 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Contractor · Woodlands, TX · Member since 2010 · 95 posts · 18 votes
    15y

    I think that most(95%)view investors in a poor light(pot calling kettle black).That stems from agents not understanding investors business model."Do the numbers work?" Does this deal make sense? vs. "what a georgeous floor plan"
    Let's face it what the "average" agent is taught conflicts with what an investor needs. Just MHO.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Kathy V.:

    So I'm just putting it out there: What future do YOU see for RE agents? And can agents do NOW to help investors solve their problems?

    In my opinion, RE agents will eventually go away. As information becomes more widely and easily available, the system of real estate transactions will become more frictionless, and will eventually be commoditized.

    I wouldn't be surprised if real estate "consultants" remained -- people paid on an hourly basis to help with transactional details and paperwork -- and I wouldn't be surprised if real estate attorneys took a more prominent role in the complicated transactions, but I don't think the value of real estate agents is there.

    Ultimately, agents do the following:

    - Help procure buyers for sellers and help procure housing prospects for buyers;

    - Help with negotiation;

    - Fill out forms and deal with procedural details of the transaction;

    - Coordinate closings.

    The first bullet above is by-far the most important, and eventually the Internet will provide the ability for buyers and sellers to find each other without a middleman.

    All that said, real estate agents have a very strong lobby, so they probably won't go away as quickly as they should.

    And full disclosure, I'm a licensed agent.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester, NY · Member since 2011 · 138 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    [b]Originally posted by Mike Morrison

    Let's face it what the "average" agent is taught conflicts with what an investor needs.

    I agree Mike. Times they are a changing. Before I started investing for myself, I was conflicted about how investors view us.

    [/b]Originally posted by J. Scott

    All that said, real estate agents have a very strong lobby, so they probably won't go away as quickly as they should.

    True. If the market ever gets back to "normal", I see traditional agents left in the dust. Especially if they haven't developed a tech presence.

    Thank you both for your input.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester, NY · Member since 2011 · 138 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    (Ok...sometimes my copy and paste skills are not there!!) :oops:

  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Well said J...I agree completely. We have a very lengthy post on the value of agents from several months back.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester, NY · Member since 2011 · 138 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    Sorry for the duplicity Bryan...didn't mean to do that. :))

    I will look it up...thanks.

  • Specialist · Portland, OR · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Interesting. Personally I think brokers that can work full circle in locating properties and manage them, and at the same time have contractors and all available have a future.

    My problem with out of state properties is that the Realtor can help you find the property, but then it would just go into this black hole. No reliable resources to continue on with. My only solution at this point is to do it all and that is impossible at this time.

  • Real Estate Consultant · Bloomfield, NJ · Member since 2010 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    1) I don't see them going anywhere soon as long as a) they maintain that strong lobby J Scott spoke about, 2)1st time home buyers still need the guidance and/or 3) Savvy and busy real estate buyers (commercial property, upscale/luxury residential and investment property buyers) remain too busy to handle the job of buying and selling real estate themselves.

    2) I do see themselves becoming more educated (hopefully) about investing. The pay is low for agents. The only way I see them surviving is if a)they sell high end properties, b)they're married to someone with a decent income, 3) they supplement their income with re investing or 4)they stay married to their jobs where they are always on call, on the phone, on the email, showing a house etc. (family life and relationships are likely to suffer with this scenario).

    My Full Disclosure - I'm also a licensed RE Agent.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    All I can say is I am an investor myself.

    What sellers want is my experience and database of buyers looking for their product.I believe residential is more cut throat,generalized,and more automated.

    In commercial sellers pay a premium for a specific skill set and knowledge.

    I don't get the sellers telling me "I can do this myself etc.,etc..

    Attorneys just like appraisers do not have a pulse on market value for the property or the proper network to move them.

    I go after listings to control the product.If I control the product I get paid,assign it,or buy for myself.

    I don't see broker/agents going away the model just might change over time.

  • Investor · Rancho Cucamonga, CA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 684 votes
    15y

    I think agents are around to stay. Residential buyers, especially first time ones need a lot of hand holding and protection. Home inspection, lender, insurance vendors, title officers, and escrow all cause a coordination nightmare for a non-educated party.

    Joel, I think commercial agents have their own problems and I would venture to say many more transactions go with "in-house" agents or without representation in the commercial world. Buyers/sellers are much more sophisticated and require less explanation, assistance on paperwork, and knowledge on common guidelines. The major thing commercial agents have done a good job of protecting themselves by not advocating for the creation an equivalent to the MLS. Pocket listings, pocket buyers, referral groups are the norm. But that will change at some point.

    I could see commission fees shrinking. Especially the cut that brokers take from their agents. The things brokers provide used to have a high-cost and high barrier to entry and the modern day is changing that.

    The industry is really messed that a buyers agent gets paid the same as a listing agent. Bringing a buyer to the finish line is so much harder than taking a listing. But maybe that is just this market.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2011 · 475 posts · 141 votes
    15y

    I think full time RE agents are here to stay. Part time is a dying breed unless it is mixed in with other forms of RE investing.

    There is a incredibly high percentage of buyers and sellers who know absolutely nothing about the real estate process.

    For a while there I thought the internet might be the end of RE agents, but quiet the opposite has happened.... RE professionals now have a much larger audience of buyers to target and a cheaper form of media to advertise with.

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · Hattiesburg, MS · Member since 2011 · 475 posts · 141 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Steve L.:
    I think agents are around to stay. Residential buyers, especially first time ones need a lot of hand holding and protection. Home inspection, lender, insurance vendors, title officers, and escrow all cause a coordination nightmare for a non-educated party.

    Joel, I think commercial agents have their own problems and I would venture to say many more transactions go with "in-house" agents or without representation in the commercial world. Buyers/sellers are much more sophisticated and require less explanation, assistance on paperwork, and knowledge on common guidelines. The major thing commercial agents have done a good job of protecting themselves by not advocating for the creation an equivalent to the MLS. Pocket listings, pocket buyers, referral groups are the norm. But that will change at some point.

    I could see commission fees shrinking. Especially the cut that brokers take from their agents. The things brokers provide used to have a high-cost and high barrier to entry and the modern day is changing that.

    The industry is really messed that a buyers agent gets paid the same as a listing agent. Bringing a buyer to the finish line is so much harder than taking a listing. But maybe that is just this market.

    In my local MLS the buyers agents actually get less than the list agent (60/40 split)... Makes me furious.

    It's a equal job and deserves equal pay. Big brokerages with all the listings started the trend and smaller brokerages followed suit.

  • Mobile Home Investor · Spanaway, WA · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 578 votes
    15y

    After the way previous home owners have been treated - they are now or have already lost their home - no one is interested in buying a home any more. The building permits are going up for new apartment buildings as more and more look to be "forever renters"! It is really a shame that the realtors got paid, the appraisers got paid, Title companies got paid, mortgage brokers got paid, Lenders got paid and then the home owner who listened to all these professionals and their advice - end up losing their home.

  • Professional · Altoona, PA · Member since 2010 · 72 posts · 23 votes
    15y

    Dale,

    These buyers were more a victim of an overheated market and got caught in the excitement of making a quick return. They certainly had dollar signs in their eyes and made bad chooses and have nobody to blame than themselves. What people were telling during the re runup were the same things I was hearing during the .dom bubble in the 90's. Every homebuyer became and expert in finance only to lose bigtime. Then it became someone else's fault. Some things never change.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Dale Osborn:
    ...no one is interested in buying a home any more.

    If that were the case, many of us here on BP (myself included) would be out of business...but we're not... :D

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester, NY · Member since 2011 · 138 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    All the responses have merit.

    What it boils down to is..what's in your tool box?

    Investors are here to stay. Good agents will educate themselves and hopefully get out of their comfort zone.

    The more tools you have...the more successful you'll be.

  • Joel OwensBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Canton, GA · Member since 2010 · 15k+ posts · 11k+ votes
    15y

    I just have a different mindset.My clients say thank you so much for helping me.

    Many have not bought or sold an investment property in years.They don't know what the market is or how transactions are worked these days.They are looking for someone to help them.Some run businesses in the commercial world and are super busy.They do not have the time to do the upfront work but want to partner with a broker who can.

    Sure there are control freaks who want to do EVERYTHING on there own.What I say to that is there is plenty of business to go around.If you market properly as a broker you can have all the business you want provided you give value to the transaction whether it is buying or selling.

    I won't buy into the brokers/agents are worthless and not needed stuff and never will.My real life experience on a daily basis tells me otherwise and has been for years.

    Maybe mediocre brokers/agents will be thinned from the herd but that is another thing all together.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bloomington, IN · Member since 2011 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    15y

    I am glad someone throws this question out. This question is highly related to one of my research, analyzing which types of agents mislead which types of clients.

    There has been a long debate whether agents should be avoided altegother in real estate transactions, because they "cheat" their clients. My answer is a solid NO.

    Because not all agents "cheat", and for those who "cheat", they "cheat" selectively. First, highly experienced agents, who sell most of the houses in the market, never mislead their clients. Second, agents mislead banks, governments, and relocation companies, but not individual clients, like you and me. And banks and relocation companies themselves are very motivated to sell even at much lower prices, so it is not fair to blame solely real estate agents for lower prices.

    And keep in mind that listing agents are regulated by the listing contract (which specifies the commission they receive). How an agent treats his clients depends how his incentives are setup in the contract. Given a bad contract, anybody in the agent's position will "cheat". So the real problem is whether we need to redesign a better contract. And according to my research, banks, governments, and relocation companies need to renegotiate a better contract, while the current listing contract works pretty well for individual house sellers.

    For those who want to know the detail, you can download the research paper (in pdf format) in the following link.

    http://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=1872525

  • Real Estate Investor · Vancouver, British Columbia · Member since 2011 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    15y

    I ultimately think RE Agents are dying, you can actually learn alot about an area from Zillow or Trulia alone.

  • Involved In Real Estate · Rochester, NY · Member since 2011 · 138 posts · 11 votes
    15y

    Hi Am.

    Yes, you can learn a lot about an area from Zillow and Trulia. That doesn't mean all the information is correct. Most of it comes from county records. And if it's recorded wrong(sf, price,etc), that's what they post. And trust me, ALOT of clerical errors are made at the local levels!!

    With that being said, agents do more than "know their area". I posed this question because, as an agent myself, I am trying to learn the new marketplace and how to remain successful in it.

    And as an investor, I would hope other agents read this so they too can learn what investors need and learn how to better solve their problems.

    Then....everyone wins!!!

  • Real Estate Broker · Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2009 · 870 posts · 664 votes
    15y

    J Scott,

    I recently moved to the metro Atlanta area. The only way i can see RE agents becoming obsolete is if anyone who is not licensed can upload their own listings on the FMLS and MLS themselves.
    Do you know if there is any service like this in the state of Georgia?

    In Illinois I've seen a brokerage provide a $297 transaction fee to up load listing on the MLS for anyone. This type of activity i can see hurting the RE Agents real quick.

    J Scott, I took your advice and recently joined Solid Source Realty for the transaction side as an agent as well as for my personal investments.

    Thanks.

    Originally posted by J Scott:
    Originally posted by Kathy V.:

    So I'm just putting it out there: What future do YOU see for RE agents? And can agents do NOW to help investors solve their problems?

    In my opinion, RE agents will eventually go away. As information becomes more widely and easily available, the system of real estate transactions will become more frictionless, and will eventually be commoditized.

    I wouldn't be surprised if real estate "consultants" remained -- people paid on an hourly basis to help with transactional details and paperwork -- and I wouldn't be surprised if real estate attorneys took a more prominent role in the complicated transactions, but I don't think the value of real estate agents is there.

    Ultimately, agents do the following:

    - Help procure buyers for sellers and help procure housing prospects for buyers;

    - Help with negotiation;

    - Fill out forms and deal with procedural details of the transaction;

    - Coordinate closings.

    The first bullet above is by-far the most important, and eventually the Internet will provide the ability for buyers and sellers to find each other without a middleman.

    All that said, real estate agents have a very strong lobby, so they probably won't go away as quickly as they should.

    And full disclosure, I'm a licensed agent.

  • Park City, UT · Member since 2010 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    15y

    There is an important place for realtor and brokers as they have realations with people, the skills, desire to help people and a statagy that solves the finacial need.

  • Real Estate Investor · Bellingham, WA · Member since 2008 · 407 posts · 90 votes
    15y

    Interesting James. I was working with an Agent using Solid Source. Explains the lack of knowledge on her part. Real Estate Brokers will be around in some form. The internet can not provide the service to everyone. I find their value diminishing as they tack on fees for filling out forms.

  • J ScottPro Member
    Moderator
    Investor · Sarasota, FL · Member since 2008 · 17k+ posts · 17k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by James Park:
    The only way i can see RE agents becoming obsolete is if anyone who is not licensed can upload their own listings on the FMLS and MLS themselves.
    Do you know if there is any service like this in the state of Georgia?

    Flat fee listing services are becoming very popular from what I've seen. Duffy Realty (a flat fee listing service here in Atlanta) is one of the biggest brokerages -- in terms of volume -- in the country.

    Personally, I believe this is just the first step in the commoditization of real estate transactions...

  • Rental Property Investor · Mercer Island, WA · Member since 2008 · 22k+ posts · 14k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Lee Kralovec:
    There is an important place for realtor and brokers as they have realations with people, the skills, desire to help people and a statagy that solves the finacial need.

    I'm sure travel agents said the same thing as their business faded away.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.