​I QUIT MY JOB THIS WEEK!!! (with help from BP, at 31yo ;)

​I QUIT MY JOB THIS WEEK!!! (with help from BP, at 31yo ;)

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes

Say it with me: “I QUIT!!!”

As Bigger Pockets’ motto says, “Life wasn’t made to be lived in a cubicle.”
So I’m not going to any more!!

Been a Wild Ride!!
Going from nothing - to buying my first foreclosed 4plex with an FHA loan, partnerships buying poorly maintained single family homes and 2-4 unit buildings from foreclosure, probate, off-market (or combination), several partnerships and loans to and from local BP members, furnishing apartments for 1-3 month stays, several cash-out loans, >$1MM in RE, $250K in gross rents, organizing a big RE Summit, discovering all the amazing data out there, having some challenges along the way, giving back to the community and volunteering, and having the opportunity to give back and help other investors with my experiences – has been a wild ride!!!! (See my BP profile or signature link for more details privately.) And I actually enjoyed my job, but I'm going to enjoy this more!!!

From Nothin' to Somethin'
I started with no cash, negative net worth, and a pocket full of dreams. My goal was to be able to wake up whenever I wanted, wear flip flops every day, and do some traveling :) After a lot of hard work, help from others (mostly on BP!), some leverage, and a stroke of luck, I was able to build a portfolio of high cash-flowing properties in the San Francisco Bay Area, along with another profitable real estate venture with a lot of additional opportunity. This income, along with my frugality – coupled with a business that allows me to operate remotely – will let me travel around the US and world, work on my own schedule, and follow my dreams, wherever they should take me! These goals were instrumental in building my business – because I didn’t want to have to show up to make money!!! :) *think about this when growing your business!*

BP (and the people on it) were Instrumental!!
Bigger Pockets forums, podcasts, and the people I have met here have opened my eyes to knowledge, wisdom, and opportunities I would have never thought possible. But I wouldn’t have come to where I am today if I hadn’t started posting and interacting on the forums, connecting with other local investors online, and meeting them face to face (eventually starting my own RE meetup in SF, and snowballing into a big RE Summit with so many great folks from BP). But BP was the start of it all. Before that, I was wandering around by myself in the desert, learning bit by bit, without a network of amazing people to lean on for advice, and ultimately do great deals with, borrow and lend funds, and most importantly, make some great friendships :)

Shout Outs!
I have to give a big shout-out to  @Johnson H. for first introducing me to BP, and a lot of investors down in Silicon Valley and San Jose. A big thanks to @Account Closedundefined

111Reply
452 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
10y

Congrats!  Way to make things happen and never give up. 

I'm not sure how so many Americans get brainwashed into working 40 hrs a week for 40 years so they can then live a modest lifestyle when they can now barely enjoy life.  Glad to see you break from the chains.

See this reply in the discussion

187 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    Congrats... I need to come and see you I have a very interesting play in Richmond  san Pablo that I am implementing.. and since your now free to do deals .. we should get together on this.. you would be the perfect person for this. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    10y

    That is if your not going to just travel the world... and your still interested in fooling with RE.  !!!

  • Mark AinleyBusiness Member
    Property Manager · Roselle, IL (Chicago Suburb) · Member since 2013 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    10y

    @J. MartinWow that is exciting news!!!!  I imagine you will be motivation and inspiration to many other entrepreneurs on this sight!  Congrats!!

  • Investor/Realtor · Wentzville, MO · Member since 2014 · 846 posts · 431 votes
    10y

    @J. Martin  Great post to read first thing Saturday Morning!  Congratulations!  Dreams do come true.  Thanks for the inspiration!!  Where are you planning to travel first with your new found freedom from the rat race??

  • Lender · Greater LA/Orange County area, CA · Member since 2012 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    10y

    @J. Martin Congratulations! Now you are free to do as you wish without concern for your former employer.

    My epiphany came decades ago. I didn't loose my job; I was fired! It would be inaccurate to say I lost it because the position still exists (with someone else doing the work that I couldn't stand).

    Being unemployable and knowing it is a gift.

    Now that your choices are un encumbered by the agenda of others, you can focus on strategy, cash flow, marketing, helping others and personal growth.

    Let me know if I can be of any help!

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2012 · 72 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    Congrats man! I hope to be in your shoes, and "go all in" when things slow down a bit. Have fun!

  • Professional · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2014 · 876 posts · 301 votes
    10y
    CONGRATULATIONS! You've worked hard and you deserve everything you've gotten. I suggest that you write a book. You have a great deal to share with others. Best- Leslir
  • Rental Property Investor · Arlington, TX · Member since 2012 · 788 posts · 640 votes
    10y

    Congrats!  Way to make things happen and never give up. 

    I'm not sure how so many Americans get brainwashed into working 40 hrs a week for 40 years so they can then live a modest lifestyle when they can now barely enjoy life.  Glad to see you break from the chains.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    “Congrats... I need to come and see you I have a very interesting play in Richmond san Pablo that I am implementing.. and since your now free to do deals .. we should get together on this.. you would be the perfect person for this.”

    Thanks Jay! Means a lot coming from you! I’m always up for looking at a new venture, especially in my backyard here in Richmond and San Pablo. I’ll give you a ring this weekend when I’m not running around and catch up, and we can talk about this deal too.

    @Mark Ainley
    Thanks! Just following in your foot steps! ;) What's the next step for you?

    @Ryan Billingsley,
    “..Dreams do come true. Thanks for the inspiration!! Where are you planning to travel first with your new found freedom from the rat race??”

    I just learned “Somewhere Over the Rainbow” on ukulele and *dreams really do come truuuuuueeee* :) I got to enjoy the warm weather of Phoenix for my first week on vacation before quitting, for MY 1st Nephew’s 1st BIRDTHDAY! The whole family came out. It was great! :) And I understand now why some people have a second home to visit in Arizona, Florida to visit in the winter now! Lol But I have plans (in the US at least) to visit Santa Fe, Austin, Houston, San Antonio, Nashville, Memphis, Detroit, lots of national parks and forests, Montana, Portland, and many others along the way.. 

    How about you? Any travel plans coming up? Business plans? 

    @Rick H.
    “CONGRATULATIONS! You've worked hard and you deserve everything you've gotten. I suggest that you write a book. You have a great deal to share with others.”
    Thanks Leslie! I actually plan on documenting all of this a little better. Check out my signature, and I’ll email you when I get it all together! :) Always happy to share. Just tag me in the forums.. :)

    @Rocky V
    ” I'm not sure how so many Americans get brainwashed into working 40 hrs a week for 40 years so they can then live a modest lifestyle when they can now barely enjoy life. Glad to see you break from the chains.”

    The vast majority, unfortunately! All my coworkers made the same amount of money as me and had similar RE exposure, but none put in the work, risk, and pushed their chips in, and they are stilling sitting at the same banks I used to sit in.. To each their own, I guess! Sad!  I hope more come join me!! :)

  • Investor · Lake Worth, FL · Member since 2015 · 23 posts · 11 votes
    10y

    Congrats, I hope your future endeavors are going to give you happiness like the present ones. Good luck and Congrats.  

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    10y

    Well done, @J. Martin.  You took risks, put in hard work, and made the right moves. You are an inspiration to other cubicle residents who aspire for change, showing that it actually can be done but also showing them that it takes effort.  Congrats!

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2012 · 72 posts · 28 votes
    10y

    @J. Martin, I think about that all the time. I want to "pull the trigger" soon so I'm putting my focus on finding my "UA" and some creative financing techniques.

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y

    Congratulations on living the flip flop only life!  I knew you could do it!!  

  • Dawn AnastasiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Congrats!

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y

    Dude - nice! You mentioned in Sac that you were close, I just didn't realize how close...

  • Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 15 posts · 21 votes
    10y

    @J. Martin Congrats! Thanks for setting up the SF RE meetup and creating a community that is open to noobs and pros alike. Your story is an inspiration and its awesome that you're paying the mentorship you received forward. Enjoy the road trip!

  • Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2015 · 531 posts · 266 votes
    10y

    Congrats! Thanks for the smile :) 

  • Investor · Sacramento, CA · Member since 2015 · 65 posts · 33 votes
    10y

    Congratulations J. I'm very proud of you and your testimony. 

  • Homeowner · New York City, NY · Member since 2016 · 23 posts · 9 votes
    10y

    Congrats @J. Martin live the life! 

  • J. MartinPro Member
    OP
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    @Brie Schmidt, like I said, just following in your footsteps!! ;)
    I'll see you out in Chicago if you're not out and about on trips also!

    Thanks @Dawn 

    @Dawn Anastasiundefined , @Sarah Ziehr, @Rick Snow , @Victor Crispin ..

    @Ben Leybovich , I was chomping at the bit to file my 2-week notice when I saw you and @Brian Burke at @Al Williamson 's summit in Sacramento last month.  All my cash-out loans are closed now, so I'm free :) Now I'll need to find that balance of work and play. How is it for you Ben? Do you set aside specific time for the family, and to go have fun? Or just mix it throughout the week..? 

    Brian, thanks again for sharing your business and RE wisdom. I'm expanding my business (cautiously) into San Jose with a partner and local BP member I trust, and hiring my first full-time (virtual) assistant. I'm developing a better and more targeted plan also, so we'll see how things go! I'll get in touch when I'm up in Santa Rosa..

    @Justin Ashton, Glad you've enjoyed the SF meetups (announcing another one soon!), and I'm glad everyone comes out to share. Justin, what's your next play? Tag me in the forums if you ever need anything.. @Johnson H. is kind enough to continue my San Francisco meetup while I am gone, in addition to his San Jose meetups for everyone in the Santa Clara - SJ - Fremont area. @Shane Pearlman has great meetups down in Santa Cruz with folks from Monterey, Salinas, and some of the most beautiful hiking in the redwoods at Niscene Marks. Make a day of it!! @Jeff Pollack also has a good meetup down in San Jose at the Hoffbrau, with a lot of people working on deals. Go check them out!

  • Lafayette, CA · Member since 2013 · 91 posts · 45 votes
    10y

    Living the dream!  Congratulations!  You're an inspiration to us all.  I'm probably not the only one interested in continting to hear from you going forward, so please keep us BPers in mind as you play out your new adventures in your non-cubicle life. Wooohoo! 

  • Rental Property Investor · Phoenix/Lima, Arizona/OH · Member since 2012 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @J. Martin:

    @Brie Schmidt, like I said, just following in your footsteps!! ;)
    I'll see you out in Chicago if you're not out and about on trips also!

    Thanks @Dawn 

    @Dawn Anastasiundefined , @Sarah Ziehr, @Rick Snow , @Victor Crispin ..

    @Ben Leybovich , I was chomping at the bit to file my 2-week notice when I saw you and @Brian Burke at @Al Williamson 's summit in Sacramento last month.  All my cash-out loans are closed now, so I'm free :) Now I'll need to find that balance of work and play. How is it for you Ben? Do you set aside specific time for the family, and to go have fun? Or just mix it throughout the week..? 

    Brian, thanks again for sharing your business and RE wisdom. I'm expanding my business (cautiously) into San Jose with a partner and local BP member I trust, and hiring my first full-time (virtual) assistant. I'm developing a better and more targeted plan also, so we'll see how things go! I'll get in touch when I'm up in Santa Rosa..

    @Justin Ashton, Glad you've enjoyed the SF meetups (announcing another one soon!), and I'm glad everyone comes out to share. Justin, what's your next play? Tag me in the forums if you ever need anything.. 

     J - I haven't had gainful employment in about 4 years now. But, this doesn't mean that I don't work - I just do it on my terms. I also see real estate a bit differently in that while it is the basis of what I do, meaning it provides the foundation of cash flow and tax liability protection, it is synthesized with other revenue streams. In other words, I need as much RE as I need - no more than that. Why - because having enough CF to quit my job is important, since it frees up time to work on other revenue streams. And, having enough RE to shield those other revenue streams is important as well, since this way I can earn less and keep more...

    So, unlike our friend Burke who practices real estate as both a business and investment vehicle, I see RE as a tool - one tool of many. But, I am also interested in growing non-RE revenues. I am busy growing JustAskBenWhy, since I have a few things to teach. I am busy helping my wife launch another business.  And, since we are having fun with all of the above, none of it is work! All of it is play :)

    And, in the middle of all this, the family and I will disappear for weeks here and there, because that's how we roll :) Literally - roll in the Tesla...haha Smooth, don't you think?

  • Rental Property Investor · Northern, CA · Member since 2012 · 5k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y

    Congrats @J. Martin. Very cool. 

    I still remember when I met you at that small meetup in Stockton a few years ago. It definitely seemed like you were on your way even then, and you've come a long way since. 

    Coincidentally, I actually retired myself last month, and have been enjoying traveling too. (Just recently got back from Costa Rica. It was awesome!) 

    Cheers to you and living life in flip flops. :)

  • Springville, AL · Member since 2016 · 15 posts · 4 votes
    10y
    Wow!!! To see this gives such inspiration!! Congrats to you and props to all of the great people of this community!!! Can't wait to meet many of you myself!! Ready to run through a brick wall now!!! Jason
  • Perris, CA · Member since 2013 · 40 posts · 13 votes
    10y

    Wow! Congratulations!

    This is such an inspiration and gives me hope that it can be done starting with little or nothing and a strong determination to make it happen.

    Keep doing it and I hope to be there one day!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.