BP MEMBERS GIVING BACK: What are you doing for the cities you make money in?

20 Replies

What are you doing to give back to the cities you make money in? I was proud to have a group of 10 local investors I know join early last Saturday morning to paint over graffiti in the East Lake neighborhood (all BP members too!). Next time, we're going to get 100 of you from San Jose to San Francisco to Santa Rosa! And I'm hoping this will inspire some others to go from idea to action in getting out to volunteer :) @Al Williamson , I know you're active in Sacramento. Care to inspire some others? (as usual ;)

I live and invest in Oakland, CA, a beautiful city that needs a little help! And real estate investors (and BP members!) are out there giving back! What have you been doing to improve the neighborhoods you invest in? A big thanks to @Arlen Chou & daughter & friend, @Mel Selvidge & "J", @Kyle Zaylor , @Eva Poon & guest, and @Ben Brunetti for waking up early to give back to the community! Send me a message for links to more pics! Glad you could bring your daughter out Arlen. Did the rest of you enjoy it? Hope you also got to meet Oakland Mayor, Libby Schaff. I think we look good together! lol

Awesome!

Great pics, J. M.!  We were so glad that we took the time to come out.  It was fun and gave us a lot to think about too.  Hearing the girls from the neighborhood talk about how they wanted their neighborhood to be nice and have a better reputation because they loved it and thought it could be great really set the tone for the day.

Every year in Yosemite, where I have a vacation rental, there is a fun weekend of clearing trash from the park and maintaining trails.  If anyone wants to join in, here's the FB page.  Sign ups for 2015 aren't up yet, but it's always in the fall, and volunteers who sign up are provided with free camping.

We're working with a lady who operates a program to house veterans right now. She rents a place from us and we got to know her and then started donating to her and talking to some of our private lenders about donating as well. We're also now serving on the de facto "board" to help her with more strategic decisions.

There's a program in KC that works with landlords (somehow I've forgotten their name) who we also want to start working with. They have landlords rent out one of their units for free to them and then they use it to help get homeless people back on their feet. 

Massive Success At Baykeeper San Rafael Canal Clean I have the incredible pleasure of belonging to a competitive Hawaiian Outrigger Canoe Club in San Rafael. Our club, He'e Nalu OCC, joined in the action last Sunday to help clean the inland waterway which leads us out onto the San Francisco Bay. Below is the post from 101 Surf Sports in San Rafael, where we call home.baykeeper2015cleanup1

This past Sunday March 8th the San Rafael Canal saw over 50 paddlers take to the water in an effort to clean up this jewel of a water way. And clean up they did - big time! (pictured above the growing trash pile - all photos credited Ron Steinau)

Baykeeper San Francisco

Wow what a turnout! With over 50 paddlers taking to the water it was our most massive clean out ever. The event started as the brain child of Jen Fuller of Jen Fuller Fitness. After enlisting the help of Baykeeper San Francisco Jen marshaled the troops to combine two of her passions – paddling & making the world a better place.(pictured at right the ring leader)

Joining Jen in the effort was OnboardSUP Yoga & SUP Currents who helped along with Baykeeper to get the word out. 101 Surf Sports stepped up offering free kayak rentals and stand up paddleboard rentals to anyone wanting to take to the water and lend a helping hand as well as hauling the trash off to the dump. Also helping was the He'e Nalu 6 person Outrigger Canoe that hauled trash from the Pickleweed Park Clean Up Crew all the way back to 101 Surf Sports so we could dispose of it. In the spirit of Ohana the Tamalpais Outrigger Canoe Club jumped in to help. They worked on land at Pickleweed Park as well as helped ferry the garbage back to 101 Surf Sports. Canoebage Trucks. THANK YOU!

And help they did with about 7 to 800lbs of trash being put where it belongs – the dump. Speaking of the dump a shout out to Marin Resource recovery center who gave us a huge discount in dumping what was an entire van full of sea junk.

baykeeper2015cleanup2

Mahalo nui,

Bob

PRAXIS RESIDENTIAL, INC HELPS TO PUT VETERANS FIRST

I have the good fortune to work for Praxis Residential and Praxis Capital in Northern California. The president, Brian Burke, is not just an incredible real estate entrepeneur, but also one who believes in giving back to the communities in which we live and work.

One of the single family investment strategies Praxis employs is buying entry level homes, rehabbing, and leasing them to individuals and families. Being a veteran, I presented Brian with the idea of helping the veteran community in Sonoma County. He immediately embraced the concept and we have since forged a relationship with the Center On The Shelterless (C.O.T.S.) to help house veterans who have struggled and are putting their lives back together. 

We are very proud to be able to help provide much needed housing opportunities to those less fortunate. We are working to build additional relationships throughout the 15 counties in which we work. 

J. M. wow! Such and inspiration! I've been doing similar things in Sacramento for 12 years now. It make a HUGE difference and is a very savvy thing for a landlord to do. Even if you strip out all the soft benefits, it's obvious that if you can trade something ( like your time), for something of much greater value (community goodwill, great PR, marketing photos, etc.) its a beneficial transaction!

Well done J. Thomas Martin and gang!

The landlord group I belong to puts on a dinner a couple times a year for a youth center.  There are walks to clean up general debris in the neighborhood (trash that gets blown around) and identify properties that need code compliance issues resolved.  There is a "most improved" house contest where area residents beautify their homes for the chance to win money.

@Mel Selvidge  Glad you could make it :) I like the Yosemite clean-up day too. Great excuse to make a trip! ;)

@Andrew Syrios

That’s great you were able to get connected with one of your tenants.. Never heard of something like that before! Good work!

@Bob Dreher

That’s the best view I’ve seen picking up trash so far.. Out on the water?! And Mel’s doing it in Yosemite!? I need to step up my game! Lol Thanks for helping clean up the beautiful bay!

And that’s great you pitched the idea to help out Veterans at Praxis. I’ve had the pleasure of talking with @Brian Burke up on his grounds near Santa Rosa and he was kind enough to anchor my Summit in SF last November, sharing his extensive experience with other real estate investors. The gift that keeps giving! Thanks Brian, Bob, and Praxis Capital!

@Al Williamson

I’m just getting started.. But you probably wrote the playbook on giving back! How about a little flavor and some visuals? I know you have some pics over there to inspire others.. ;)What are your plans for this year?

@Dawn Anastasi

I like your multi-pronged approach. Great inspiration to get more active throughout the year! I haven’t done as much as I would have liked this last year. Will have to make up for it in 2015! And bring along others for the ride!

@Eric Martin (no relation)

Giving back piece by piece.. Feels good! What are your plans to give back this year? Maybe we can help keep each other motivated and accountable.. Same last name, after all! Looks like you’ll be out at my meetup in SF next week if I saw the RSVP right. Looking forward to it!

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO THIS YEAR TO GIVE BACK?

Sorry, no pics! Great job people, like seeing community involvement as that is where you will meet other like minded folks.

My community gigs began in 82 and have been active until a few years ago:

Coached Little League

Did volunteer tax returns for seniors

Sang Bass in the choir

Treasurer of large men's group

Volunteered with American Red Cross, Disaster Relief, Damage assessments

Board of Directors of Habitat for Humanity affiliate

Board of Directors, Ozark Literacy Council

Board of Directors Community Housing Assistance & Development

Appointed as Commissioner, Springfield Public Housing Authority

Appointed as Chairman of Rehabilitation and Redevelopment Committee of City long range planning commission

Victims Violence Center Volunteer

Executive Director of Non-Profit Housing Organization teaching homeownership skills

Ozarks Greenways, volunteered at lake clean ups (thanks Bob)

I'm sure I missed some I know, but those in RE should be involved in their market, you are not only helping others you are shaping the market you're active in, it pays great dividends. Get involved!  :)

Three years I started an adopt-a-block program in our investment neighborhood. We (a group of volunteers at my church) focus on one block, meeting their needs. We go door to door at least once a month to check in, provide dump runs, moving boxes, help preparing for HUD inspections, meals, rides, activities for the kids, Christmas caroling and small gifts. We also paint over graffiti and do alley clean-ups with the local neighborhood association.

J. M.

donated homes to Habitat for Humans.. In Jackson MS.. right at 15 homes donated at no cost.

another 20 sold to them for 10 to 12k.. each... donated lots in Lake co. California to HH

I gentrify problem areas and turn dumps into marginally habitable hovels.

J. M. Just saw this thread! Hope it's not too late to join in!

1.  Our local rental association does a food drive once a year for the local food bank.

2.  Personally, I donated my time and expertise teaching a class for prospective renters in the Section 8 housing voucher program and the "second steps" housing program (for low income folks who have made past rental mistakes). The classes I taught were: "Money Management Matters", "The Inquiry and Interview", and "How to Establish and Maintain Good Landlord-Tenant Relationships".

3. When we acquire tenant belongings after a tenant move-out or eviction, we donate the good stuff to a non-profit thrift store that raises funds for a local housing shelter.

4. We partner with law enforcement to keep the community safe, report all crime, and remove graffiti as quickly as it appears. I even took our graffiti problem to the media! I gave the newspaper reporter the "graffiti tour" and he saw things he had not noticed before. There was an immediate response by the business who owned one of the buildings pictured in the news article and it sparked others to clean up as well. See this link: http://www.columbian.com/news/2012/aug/01/for-houg...

Cheers!

Originally posted by J. M.:

@Mel Selvidge  Glad you could make it :) I like the Yosemite clean-up day too. Great excuse to make a trip! ;)

@Andrew Syrios

That’s great you were able to get connected with one of your tenants.. Never heard of something like that before! Good work!

@Bob Dreher

That’s the best view I’ve seen picking up trash so far.. Out on the water?! And Mel’s doing it in Yosemite!? I need to step up my game! Lol Thanks for helping clean up the beautiful bay!

And that’s great you pitched the idea to help out Veterans at Praxis. I’ve had the pleasure of talking with @Brian Burke up on his grounds near Santa Rosa and he was kind enough to anchor my Summit in SF last November, sharing his extensive experience with other real estate investors. The gift that keeps giving! Thanks Brian, Bob, and Praxis Capital!

@Al Williamson

I’m just getting started.. But you probably wrote the playbook on giving back! How about a little flavor and some visuals? I know you have some pics over there to inspire others.. ;)What are your plans for this year?

@Dawn Anastasi

I like your multi-pronged approach. Great inspiration to get more active throughout the year! I haven’t done as much as I would have liked this last year. Will have to make up for it in 2015! And bring along others for the ride!

@Eric Martin (no relation)

Giving back piece by piece.. Feels good! What are your plans to give back this year? Maybe we can help keep each other motivated and accountable.. Same last name, after all! Looks like you’ll be out at my meetup in SF next week if I saw the RSVP right. Looking forward to it!

WHAT ARE YOU GOING TO DO THIS YEAR TO GIVE BACK?

Glad to know there are so many BP folks contributing to the good of the community! Thanks! Just added my story. :-)

This is amazing I give to Foundation for Second Chances (www.ffscinc.org) we do a community clean up in South Los Angeles (Watts) on a monthly basis.

4/22 @ 10AM -  ***VOLUNTEERING FOR EARTH DAY!***

https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/521/topics/43...

This is the third year I've organized a clean-up event for real estate investors, and we've had a great time helping clean up the community together :) Bring your friend, spouse, children, and anyone else you can bring to come together, enjoy the time with, and lend a helping hand :) Check out the link above, and come join us! :)

@J. Martin ,

Thank you for putting this together.
I did the RSVP through meetup and will try to bring the family out.

See you then,

Scott Isacksen

@J. Martin - I like you work. I invest in Mid West trying to work with local leaders to reclaim the neighborhoods, long road and lot of work.

Thanks

Vivek

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Join the Largest Real Estate Investing Community

Basic membership is free, forever.