Retired at the Age of 28 with a Lambo :)

226 Replies

Hey BP!

I just wanted to share some super exciting news with you guys! I started Real Estate Investing at the end of Dec, 2015 and joined Bigger Pockets around the same time.  While working a Full Time job as a Wells Fargo MBS Consultant

(among other business ventures), I've grown my portfolio to 36 rental units.

During this time, I also bought myself a house, went on numerous amazing trips, and even purchased a Lamborghini. BUT I was also putting in consistent 85+ hour work weeks and basically driving myself to death. My health and my productivity was suffering heavily as I grew my business.

I originally told myself I was going to exit the rat race by the age of 35. It quickly dropped to 30, but I realized after some big acquisitions last year that if I could expand as much as I did working two careers, how much more could I do if I just focused on REI?

So... I made the jump and after my 5 year anniversary at WF this past Sunday, I submitted my resignation!

Yup! Officially "retired" at the age of 28 :)

I'm super nervous and excited at the same time. Not having a solid W2 and great benefits is definitely daunting, but I can play or work as hard as I want on my own terms now. I'm a very firm believer in getting out what you put in and I just have to trust myself to always do the right things. 

So what's next?

I'm going to let my properties and skill set sustain my passions. I really want to get into the EDM, convention, and Esports industry in some capacity. I'll also be traveling almost every other week for the rest of this year. Of course, I'll continuously be looking at Real estate opportunities around the country and even exploring things outside of residential holdings. I've already looked at some commercial buildings and storage facilities and there's a lot of potential there. But hey... with time, a capital foundation, and some sleep (haha), the sky is the limit!

I'm just excitedly blabbering at this point, but I just wanted to say I can't thank the BP Community enough for all the information and guidance in the past couple years. It has been an amazing journey, and I can't wait to start this new Chapter of my life!

@David Zheng That's awesome!  Someone posted the other day about having 100 units and now being able to retire, and while that is great, I was wondering why it took 100 units.  Obviously it depends on what income you want it to generate before retiring.

I also have 36 units, and flip, well outstripping my wages...but still have that W2, haha!

@Larry T. same here but my wife finally convinced me that I didn't need to go to work anymore. That was 22 years ago & yet we keep accumulating properties so it's a much healthier fit. I watched the kids grow up & made every event. No more office politics or DRAMA & no having to curb your comments for the office PC Nazi's. The only travel is recreational & taking a 2 hour lunch is still on the expense account !!! 

I NEVER looked back.....sadly many of my colleagues were still trying to justify/afford retirement until the day they were let go.

@David Zheng - I'm loving the excitement and the success you've experienced; definitely gives us newbies hope! I've actually been kicking myself for not investing sooner. As a newbie, I hope you don't mind me asking a question— how much capital did you accrue prior to that first property? Thanks in advance for your time and any advice you can provide is greatly appreciated!

@David Zheng congrats!! That’s amazing! We have 5 doors and are about to close on a 6 unit.

Can you tell us the break down of your units? Did you do any special financing? How did you find your deals?

Best wishes on your continued success!!

Congratulations! Impressive, I have one career and often requires a 55+ hours a week and a loooot of traveling.  Working my way to an early "retirement", will take some more time.  

Originally posted by @David Zheng :

Hey BP!

I just wanted to share some super exciting news with you guys! I started Real Estate Investing at the end of Dec, 2015 and joined Bigger Pockets around the same time.  While working a Full Time job as a Wells Fargo MBS Consultant

(among other business ventures), I've grown my portfolio to 36 rental units.

During this time, I also bought myself a house, went on numerous amazing trips, and even purchased a Lamborghini. BUT I was also putting in consistent 85+ hour work weeks and basically driving myself to death. My health and my productivity was suffering heavily as I grew my business.

I originally told myself I was going to exit the rat race by the age of 35. It quickly dropped to 30, but I realized after some big acquisitions last year that if I could expand as much as I did working two careers, how much more could I do if I just focused on REI?

So... I made the jump and after my 5 year anniversary at WF this past Sunday, I submitted my resignation!

Yup! Officially "retired" at the age of 28 :)

I'm super nervous and excited at the same time. Not having a solid W2 and great benefits is definitely daunting, but I can play or work as hard as I want on my own terms now. I'm a very firm believer in getting out what you put in and I just have to trust myself to always do the right things. 

So what's next?

I'm going to let my properties and skill set sustain my passions. I really want to get into the EDM, convention, and Esports industry in some capacity. I'll also be traveling almost every other week for the rest of this year. Of course, I'll continuously be looking at Real estate opportunities around the country and even exploring things outside of residential holdings. I've already looked at some commercial buildings and storage facilities and there's a lot of potential there. But hey... with time, a capital foundation, and some sleep (haha), the sky is the limit!

I'm just excitedly blabbering at this point, but I just wanted to say I can't thank the BP Community enough for all the information and guidance in the past couple years. It has been an amazing journey, and I can't wait to start this new Chapter of my life!

Brilliant work

@David Zheng hello, I was wondering if you have any advice for a complete newbie on how to begin learning about all of this? (Context: my girlfriend just dragged me to a free 2 hr real estate meeting on Tues night, and it motivated us to learn and get started, but we’re wary of getting suckered into something). Any advice is appreciated.

@David Zheng Congratulations! Now's the time to do what you love. I retired at the age of 35. For about three months. LOL. I quickly got bored with it and had to jump back into doing what I love (real estate) full-time. This time around, though, I built out an entire team and expanded our horizons to do more.

Find your passion and go with it!

@David Zheng this is awesome man. You are well prepared to tackle this and have great success. I had a similar realization about focusing on REI full time but it was an easier jump for me because I wasn't making a huge salary at my w2 and I had already replaced my income through investments. Props to you for achieving this! If you're ever looking for something in Huntsville or Birmingham, Alabama, let me know!

The title of this thread reminds me of Instagram and people advertising there own profile to get more followers. "Business genius, NYC > CA, currently at Coachella, watches are cool, love animals" Profile pic of of said person... standing next to Lambo. 

Hopefully you're not that guy. 

@David Zheng what was your process man? If you can grow that fast with 70K that's super inspiring, because I'm sitting on 110K working hard trying to build a team and find the right market. Did you BRRRR? Multi family? Single family? If you can do it I can do it. Im a "super loser" too. I've worked 70+ hours a week for the last 5 years and I don't regret a thing. You gotta pay the price.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here