PM and Colleague Request Etiquette

PM and Colleague Request Etiquette

Spokane, WA · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 7 votes

Hey BP Nation!

I'm new to the community...not just this community but ANY online community. BiggerPockets is the first site to actually get me interested in engaging in any kind of online group. There are some good sticky forum posts on etiquette in the forums but I didn't find much on PM/Colleague requests.

What would you say are good and bad manners when it comes to PM and Colleague Requests?

@Joshua D. and James Vermillion pointed out in a post the importance of leaving a personalized message on your colleague request. Anything else I should keep in mind while networking on the site?

http://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/25/topics/81082-colleague-requests

Look forward to hearing what everyone thinks.

Thanks,

Munck

2Reply
41 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
12y

All great stuff above!

A few things I guess.

1. Try not to ask vague questions, the more specific you can be the better the replies will (or should) be. Certainly doesn't mean you need to be an expert before asking a question, but asking "How should I buy a property to rent" won't get much, asking "How do I figure the 2% Rule on This" might get better results.

2. Fill out your profile, if you're brand new tell us, if you have 15 years of Commercial risk analysis please say so, we all have to assume knowledge if it's not stated, says a ton of posts.

3. Fill in your location so we can see what state we are talking about, we can't advise an installment sale in Texas or tell you to deed a property over in PA with transfer taxes being due.

4. Try to give applicable information in the question, if it's about a loan we need certain types of info, not a big deal as we can ask, but if you were denied a conventional loan you might give some details as that determines which way to advise. OTH, there is also too much information, try to keep it short, no life history needed, save that for introductions, we do want to get to know everyone.

5. Organize you questions. Might number them making them stand out. If we see 7 or 8 questions in paragraph form and have to read them over and over to pick them out, we may not bother until other aspects are explained. Even better, ask three questions, get answers and then ask three more as they may pertain. You'll get more people addressing two questions than ten.

6. We don't grade posts, but good sentence structure makes a good impression and will make your post better understood. Posts that are hard to understand are usually ignored.

Lastly, it's considered rude to disagree with that guy Financexaminer, avoid that at all costs, he has a reputation of being very gruff and has little tolerance for those who disagree with him. He's an older grumpy guy, but sometimes he can give good advice, which is the only reason we put up with him!

;))

See this reply in the discussion

30 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Spokane, WA · Member since 2013 · 57 posts · 7 votes
    12y

    Great advice everyone! Wow, this thread is starting to take on a life of it's own. In fact in the time this thread has been going on I've been sending PM's and formed an opinion of my own. I'll now give advice to my past-self (don't you wish you could get advice from your future-self?) and any other newbies. In general, on every PM, I try to do the following (some of these have been mentioned by others in this thread but I think they are important) :

    1. Have a great attitude! No matter how little you know or think you have to offer it's one thing anyone can offer. Everyone likes getting messages that have a complimentary and upbeat tone(make sure you are sincere). If you aren't sure how to have a great attitude virtually, try adding some exclamation points!!!
    2. Read over the entire PM for spelling/grammar (great advice @Bill Gulley), especially when writing late at night. So far I have caught errors every single time.
    3. Spend time trying to get to know them as a person, not just business (but not in a creepy way). Make sure the message is also about them to some extent and not all about you.
    4. Always try to find out if you can do anything for them.

    Now I have a new question. A couple of my requests have gone unanswered. How should I approach this? Just take a hint and buzz off? Keep following up? I don't want to be a glutton for punishment like this guy from Fight Club.

  • Roy N.Pro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Fredericton, New Brunswick · Member since 2013 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y

    @Jason Munck

    When I receive a colleague request w/o a letter of introduction (PM of introduction) or it I receive one out of the blue from someone with whom I've had no interaction, I will typically "let it hang" until I learn more about the individual and why they were reaching out.

    Surprisingly I receive colleague requests from folks who have never participated on the site (0 posts to the forums or blogs), which frequently arrive with no introduction or explanation of the reason for reaching out. A profile check often yields little additional information or indicated the individual is a realtor, guru, or broker ... at which point I conclude the colleague request is simple another form of spam and decline it.

    So, in your shoes, I would just let it ride and see what happens.

  • Wholesaler · Holiday, FL · Member since 2013 · 571 posts · 221 votes
    12y

    Can somebody have Tyler Durden call me? I'd like to talk to him - and yes; it's about something else.

  • Lender · Houston, TX · Member since 2012 · 83 posts · 69 votes
    12y

    What a dummy. I had no idea you could click on the little envelope icon to see the message that comes with a colleague request before accepting the request. Doh!! I feel so bad now for leaving people hanging for many months because I didn't understand why they wanted to connect to me. Dohhh! The reason is right there in the message.

  • Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 710 posts · 200 votes
    12y

    TTT

    Been receiving a lot of colleague requests without an introduction lately...

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.