How to Help Maui Recover from the Devastating Fires - A Message from Josh Dorkin
Hi Everyone - As you may be aware, BiggerPockets' Founder Josh Dorkin, and long-time podcast host Brandon Turner both live on Maui. I've been in contact with both, and they, their families, and friends are accounted for and safe.
Josh and I recorded a brief message about how to help folks on Maui in light of the devastating fires. The situation is truly terrible, and Lahaina has been destroyed. The podcast message will air on Sunday's epsiode, and, as promised, here are the links:
Josh recommends that the best way to help Maui may be the Hawaii Community Foundation:
- *** Hawaii Community Foundation - Maui Strong Fund - https://www.hawaiicommunityfoundation.org - local based - est 1916 - Purpose is to maximize the impact of donations and support large scale initiatives. * Charity of choice *
In response to the devastating wildfires on Maui, the Hawaiʻi Community Foundation has activated the Maui Strong Fund to provide flexible resources to support Maui residents. Funding will address evolving needs, including shelter, food, financial assistance and other services as they are identified by on-the-ground partners doing critical work on Maui. HCF will not be collecting a fee for donations to the Maui Strong Fund; 100 percent of the funds will be distributed for community needs.
You can make a donation to the Maui Strong Fund by visiting hawaiicommunityfoundation.org/maui-strong
In addition to this foundation, Josh recommends several other foundations:
- Maui United Way - https://mauiunitedway.org -
- Maui Food Bank - https://mauifoodbank.org - list of donations on site
- Maui Humane Society - https://www.mauihumanesociety.org (MHS needs pet food, crates, bowls, and other supplies if you have anything to donate, new or used.)
- Red Cross of Hawaii - NEEDS hundreds of volunteers. - https://www.redcross.org/local/hawaii.html
Thank you in advance for any contributions you make, even $10 will go a long way to helping the residents of Maui in this terrible time.