Solicitation policy

3 Replies

I had a request for lenders in the Bay Area removed due to the post being deemed soliciting.  I was not advertising and have no intent to advertise but was asking for a resource.  Darren's response said that site policy states that asking for lenders is soliciting but it looks to me much like the myriad of posts that I see for people asking for contractors, lawyers, title companies, etc.  

Any guidance would be appreciated.  

@Cory Adams  The thing is we have a to be careful with request for lenders, because it opens the door for people to solicit to you, and because we don't really know them, they could be scammers, and we ultimately want to protect you and your experience on the site. 

My suggestion is to make it bluntly obvious that you're not soliciting for a lender, but simply asking for advice. 

Instead of saying, "Does anyone know a lender (or how to find a lender) in X area?" I'd suggest saying, "Does anyone know the best process in finding investor friendly agents. I'm not soliciting, or asking for a reference but simply asking your process of finding someone you can trust."

That way it's clear.

Hope this helps!

He is asking for the names of some lenders.  If that is his need what harm is there?  If lenders or their representatives reach out to him or request to make connections with him he may find what he was seeking.  He may find several local investors who can share their experiences with different lenders.  If he gets more requests to connect than he cares for he does not have to accept them.  Again, why is that a problem?

Maybe you could also state in your post to just message you privately with any recommendations. Hope that helps! 

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here