How the New Tax Code Affects REI w Amanda Han and Brandon Hall

How the New Tax Code Affects REI w Amanda Han and Brandon Hall

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes

Big changes are underway in the U.S. tax code—and it could make a huge difference to your bottom line. Thankfully, today on the Big gerPockets Podcast, we get to sit down with two CPAs who focus entirely on helping real estate investors navigate the tax code! Amanda Han and Brandon Hall join us today as we dive deep into the new changes—plus tackle some of the most common questions new real estate investors ask!

Remember a few weeks ago when we asked for your questions? THIS is the episode that answers them!

Listen here or on your favorite podcast player.

11Reply
59 views

Most Popular Reply

Logan AllecBusiness Member
Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 980 votes
8y

This was a great podcast!  Thank you, @Amanda Han and @Brandon Hall!

@Brandon Hall I have one question for you.  At 22:00 you gave an interest limitation example of you and your dad, just you and him, forming an LP with your dad as the 50% money guy, i.e., not involved in managing the business.  I'd assume that if it's just you and him, and he's the money guy, then you would actually be running the business.

I'm thinking that if you, as his son, actively participate in the management of the business, then his interest would not be treated as a limited partnership interest for purposes of the interest limitation rules and so you would not be treated as a tax shelter and so the interest limitation would not apply.

I could be wrong, but my reading is that the definition of "tax shelter" under Section 163(j)(3) (the interest limitation section) refers to Section 448, and 448(d)(3) refers to 461(i)(3), which gets you to 1256(e)(3), which says that an interest in an entity shall not be treated as held by a limited partner for any period if during such period such interest is held by the spouse, children, grandchildren, and parents of an individual who actively participates at all times during such period in the management of such entity (1256(e)(3)(C)(ii)).

Thoughts?

Clarita CPA Group516 Reviews
See this reply in the discussion

24 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Accountant · Newport Beach, CA · Member since 2018 · 22 posts · 13 votes
    8y

    Thank you so much for all the info you've shared in this episode!  SO HELPFUL!!!  Would love it if you had these two awesome accountants on the show regularly or maybe even mini episodes of Q&A.  I'm a big fan and appreciate all the info.  As always.

  • Realtor · Rocklin · Member since 2016 · 128 posts · 67 votes
    8y

    Such a useful and educational podcast.   I'm so glad that people like Amanda Han and Brandon Hall are out there to assist with the confusing and convoluted tax codes and loopholes.  Now I need to listen about 3 more times to get a good grasp on all the information discussed...

  • Joe SplitrockPro Member
    Moderator
    Rental Property Investor · Sioux Falls, SD · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 18k+ votes
    8y

    One of the best podcasts in a long time, although I am not sure how you got them on during tax season. Thanks @Amanda Han and @Brandon Hall for the great information explained clearly, so the average person can understand!

  • Logan AllecBusiness Member
    Accountant · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 980 votes
    8y

    This was a great podcast!  Thank you, @Amanda Han and @Brandon Hall!

    @Brandon Hall I have one question for you.  At 22:00 you gave an interest limitation example of you and your dad, just you and him, forming an LP with your dad as the 50% money guy, i.e., not involved in managing the business.  I'd assume that if it's just you and him, and he's the money guy, then you would actually be running the business.

    I'm thinking that if you, as his son, actively participate in the management of the business, then his interest would not be treated as a limited partnership interest for purposes of the interest limitation rules and so you would not be treated as a tax shelter and so the interest limitation would not apply.

    I could be wrong, but my reading is that the definition of "tax shelter" under Section 163(j)(3) (the interest limitation section) refers to Section 448, and 448(d)(3) refers to 461(i)(3), which gets you to 1256(e)(3), which says that an interest in an entity shall not be treated as held by a limited partner for any period if during such period such interest is held by the spouse, children, grandchildren, and parents of an individual who actively participates at all times during such period in the management of such entity (1256(e)(3)(C)(ii)).

    Thoughts?

    Clarita CPA Group516 Reviews
  • CPA · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y

    @Logan Allec your interpretation of the code is correct. We aren't expecting technical guidance to change the treatment of family held entities under IRC 1256. My example was an attempt to explain that the new interest limitation will affect a ton of people, not just the big guys. Shouldn't have used my father, rather a friend instead :)

  • Rental Property Investor · NV · Member since 2014 · 241 posts · 85 votes
    8y

    Looking forward to this one. Tax time should be everyones favorite time of year. You get to tell the government to give you money. Who doesn't love that. 

  • Investor · Bismarck, ND · Member since 2017 · 110 posts · 50 votes
    8y

    Man I can't wait to listen to this episode tomorrow during my car pool to work!

  • CPA and Real Estate Investor · Norman, OK · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    As a CPA it's great to see quality tax pros like Amanda and Brandon out there giving solid and useful advice! Go team go!!

  • Andrew SyriosPro Member
    Moderator
    Residential Real Estate Investor · Kansas City, MO · Member since 2014 · 10k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    8y

    Great podcast and very helpful!

  • Investor · Bristol Borough, PA · Member since 2016 · 135 posts · 53 votes
    8y
    Great episode. Very thought provoking. If anyone knows a good CPA in eastern PA/Philadelphia, I'd like to take Brandon's advice and find a CPA early in my career.
  • Jeff WhiteBusiness Member
    Realtor · Denver, CO · Member since 2016 · 278 posts · 371 votes
    8y

    @Brandon Hall & @Amanda Han

    Thanks for sharing such wonderful information for us investors.  It is really great to hear from two CPAs that also invest in real estate.  

    I will have to listen to this podcast again.  I will definitely also review bonus depreciation with my CPA since I'm finalizing my taxes.

    Most real estate investors really need to listen to this podcast.  It is very applicable whether you have one property or one hundred properties.    

  • Real Estate Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2013 · 39 posts · 4 votes
    8y
    Thank you Amanda and Brandon for your insights and knowledge of this issue. I think it's time for me to get a CPA and help me learn more about tax saving strategies.
  • David JasonPro Member
    Alexandria, VA · Member since 2016 · 11 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    Great podcast. I have a follow up question about the bonus depreciation. We purchased our first SFR in December 2017; however, didn’t purchase the appliances until 2018. Do I apply the bonus depreciation to my 2017 or 2018 taxes?
  • Rental Property Investor · Waikapu, HI · Member since 2018 · 305 posts · 197 votes
    8y

    Great podcast. I learned a lot and hope my current CPA was listening! If not, I may need to call up @Amanda Han or @Brandon Hall!

  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @David Jason:

    Great podcast. I have a follow up question about the bonus depreciation.

    We purchased our first SFR in December 2017; however, didn't purchase the appliances until 2018.

    Do I apply the bonus depreciation to my 2017 or 2018 taxes?

    David, I'm assuming this is an investment property. You can use bonus depreciation for 2017 only on the 5 (and 15)-year property items that were already there. So the appliances that you purchased in 2018 can be deducted with bonus depreciation only on 2018 returns. 

    BUT...If there were appliances or any other 5-year property that can be identified (preferably with a qualified engineer), you can deduct them with 100% bonus depreciation, even if you discarded them for new ones a month later.

  • Yonah WeissPro Member
    Cost Segregation Expert and Investor · Lakewood, NJ · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @Marc Izquierdo:

    Great episode. Very thought provoking. If anyone knows a good CPA in eastern PA/Philadelphia, I'd like to take Brandon's advice and find a CPA early in my career.

    Marc, I know a great CPA in Philly, as well as several Virtual CPAs who work nationwide like @Daniel Hyman and his firm My online accountant. PM me if you would like contact info.

  • Rental Property Investor · Aurora, CO · Member since 2018 · 288 posts · 117 votes
    8y
    Great podcast. I bought Amanda’s book and have listened to 2 of her podcasts now. I particularly enjoy Brandon and Amanda’s commentary and rapport back and forth. I too have made plenty of mistakes, and missed out on many tax savings and advantages over the years but it’s great to hear that I am not alone and that there’s opportunities to jump on now to improve and educate as you go. #ittakesavillage....of rentas ;)
  • Brian AguirrePro Member
    Investor · Atlanta GA Charlotte NC Tampa Fl · Member since 2017 · 4 posts · 2 votes
    8y
    Awesome podcast
  • James LetchfordPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · WY · Member since 2016 · 87 posts · 51 votes
    8y

    Wow. This podcast was very informative. I'm putting one of my properties through a full renovation right now, so the concept of 100% depreciation at onset will really help me out. Further, I'm loving the BARRRR concept, too. Thank you @Amanda Han, @Brandon Hall, @Brandon Turner, and @Scott Trench. True gold.

  • Amy KendallBusiness Member
    Real Estate Broker · Lehi, UT · Member since 2016 · 397 posts · 318 votes
    8y

    I thought the podcast was amazing!  At first, I wasn't sure how they were going to make a podcast about taxes interesting, but it was very entertaining and informative!

  • Thousand Oaks, CA · Member since 2016 · 48 posts · 9 votes
    8y

    Thanks for a great podcast @Amanda Han and @Brandon Hall!  I took to heart what you said about getting an itemized list of upgrades/repairs to a property that I am getting ready for being a rental.  I am talking to several contractors I was referred to and they will not break things down by item in their estimates.  Any suggestions on how to get them motivated to do that?

  • Multi-family Investor · St. Charles, MN · Member since 2013 · 5 posts · 0 votes
    8y

    @Logan Allec

    In your post regarding "tax shelter" where llc members are related by family and each participate in the business, would each member be considered a general member on schedule k-1 for section G? If so, then the interest limitation would not apply?

  • Real Estate Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2017 · 31 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    Loved this podcast: it was incredibly helpful and clear! Thank you to @Amanda Han and @Brandon Hall for sharing your expertise and advice. Thank you also to Brandon and Scott for your pertinent questions that helped delve into specific details that us investors were hoping to hear more about!

  • Rental Property Investor · Irvine, CA · Member since 2017 · 25 posts · 4 votes
    8y

    Bonus Depreciation.

    If i purchase a new construction as investment and put in service for rental, upgrades on top of the base price of the House(As sold by builder), can I deduct it on year 1?

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.