Announcing the BiggerPockets Forums Version 3.0 - Notice anything different?

Most Popular Reply

Commercial Loan Officer · Southern Maine, ME · Member since 2009 · 782 posts · 415 votes
15y

It really is great that you are asking for input as to how to make the site better. Your work is to be commended, and I am very impressed with your dedication to make this site better.

We really should be the ones thanking you.

7
Topic locked
See this reply in the discussion

87 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · CA · Member since 2009 · 138 posts · 19 votes
    15y

    Huge ad to my right lol.

    I like it but it seems like the text is way smaller :( it strains my eyes.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y

    Josh,

    I posted some fresh commentary in the Beta tester group forum; check there.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Thanks Steve. Saw the notes . . . appreciate the suggestions and feedback on the few buggers you pointed out.

    NOTE: There is an empty TOOLS dropdown in the RESOURCES section on the right . . . these should be filled in at some point this weekend with all the resource links that used to be on the right sidebar of the old forums.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    15y

    It is getting harder to use. When ebay switched over they had an option to view the old style. Do we have that here? I miss the preview that came with the last version. I will play with this more but it seems like it might be harder to use at first. I feel the same way I did when facebook changed a few years ago... old.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    Jeffrey -
    What preview are you referring to? What is more difficult to use?

    The front page of the forums were impossible to navigate prior to the change . . . all that navigation is now on the sidebar and can be found from any forum page.....

    I'm working on a post with all the features -- coming in a few hours.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Landlord · Seattle, WA · Member since 2010 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I like the new look. The forum printing id larger at least on my screen making it easier to read. There were some features of the old I liked but this one has a lot of promise.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Payson, AZ · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    That's it! I'm outa here

    2
    Topic locked
  • Portsmouth, OH · Member since 2009 · 198 posts · 54 votes
    15y

    WOW...what happened? I had to double check the URL.

    It will take some time to get used to the new feel of this site.

    Looks good though.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y

    Josh,

    I'm not sure, but I think the keyword lookup that was in the old pages seems to be gone. along with other things I pointed out in that other (more private) thread.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    15y
    Originally posted by motiv8td:
    That's it! I'm outa here

    Good Riddance I say!!! Josh should have done this months ago - JK :lol:

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2008 · 1k+ posts · 671 votes
    15y

    The preview of what is being talked about in each topic. If there was a way to make it so taht when you rolled over the category in the sidebar and it displayed the top post or two that would make you want to click rather than clicking on all of them to see if there is anything you want to read. Maybe I am missing something. This is the only forum I use so I must not get it.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    The tags that were on the left of the page were rarely, if ever used. If someone wants to navigate by tag, the TAGS link can be found at the footer of the forums pages.

    BTW - Anyone notice the ability to select your favorite categories and save them? You can then view them using the My Favorite Categories dropdown on the right of the screen.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    15y

    I know what you're talking about now Jeffrey.... on the main forums page you used to see what each forum was about. That info now shows at the top of each forum category.

    If it is something that everyone can't live without, we'll look into a solution. After running this layout by a few dozen people, this is the first time someone mentioned it.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Homeowner · Dalton, GA · Member since 2010 · 108 posts · 13 votes
    15y
    Originally posted by Joshua Dorkin:
    The tags that were on the left of the page were rarely, if ever used. If someone wants to navigate by tag, the TAGS link can be found at the footer of the forums pages.

    BTW - Anyone notice the ability to select your favorite categories and save them? You can then view them using the My Favorite Categories dropdown on the right of the screen.


    i like it is bigger and less eye strain i noticed the key tags were gone so i had to look around till found this thread and it was strange i didnt have to log in either i liked the old too but change is inevitable and is mostly good for us thanks for constantly improving an already great and rewarding site not brown nosing cause it never gets you anywhere any way just saying what is on mind thanks to all involved
    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · St. Petersburg, FL · Member since 2010 · 63 posts · 40 votes
    15y

    I'm not trying to be negative, but I liked the previous version better. Will have to get used to this one. Sorry, just giving my personal opinion.

    3
    Topic locked
  • Flipper · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 973 posts · 679 votes
    15y

    My only concern is that it makes the forum seem really small, especially on my phone, with that large of a menu on the right. It looks like only about 40% of my screen is actual forum now. Maybe we can cut the blue margins on the left and right in half to give more readable space?

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I haven't used it enough to comment a whole lot, but it is certainly going to take some getting used to now.

    Things I like:

    1. Navigating to the 2nd page just puts the new posts at the bottom instead of loading a new page

    2. The alignment of ads and everything seems much better

    Things needed still (unless I missed it)

    3. Navigating to the 2nd page of posts with one click instead of 2

    I'll give more feedback when I have used it more.

    1
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Josh, if I want to create a new thread, where do I go? In the past, I would click on Forums and then see which forum I wanted to create the thread on and then do it in there. I do not see that screen anymore where I can see all the forums with the description beneath each forum and also the number of threads and posts in each forum, etc.

    Also, as I am typing this message, I feel that I need to go buy magnifying glasses to see what I am typing in the text box. The font size is too small.

    On the whole, I think it would take us a few days to give you good feedback because anything new takes time to get used to.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    I agree that the text and the window to type new comments is too small on the quick reply and advanced reply modes.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Creating new topics is much easier now Vikram....there is a button at the top of the forum. Once you click it you get the drop down category with headings...nice!

    1
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    I must be blind, Bryan. I am not able to see that button. I do see a "New Topic" link at the top and when I click it, it only allows me to create a new topic within the existing forum, not in the most appropriate forum.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Real Estate Investor · Phoenix, AZ · Member since 2009 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    15y

    Josh, here's one thing that was better in the old version. In the recent discussions page, it would tell us how long ago the last post was written - e.g. 5 minutes back, 1 day ago, etc. Now it gives the date and time of the last post in the thread, which is hard to get a quick feel for. I suspect it should be a fairly simple code change for you to give us that relative time indicator instead of the absolute time indiactor.

    3
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Yeah...you have to start from the main forum...which is a bit confusing. I think maybe the person should be pointed to that same page anytime they click on the "New Topic" button.

    I also noticed that the category for each post....or the forum it belongs in is underneath each post. That is nice.

    I still say the feature that would be the nicest and save the most time and consternation is going straight to the right page from the home forum for a given post. Having to click twice on anything that is longer than 1 page is annoying to me.

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    Yup...I like the old minutes-based system better too. Who the heck thinks in military time?!

    0
    Topic locked
  • Investor · Round Rock, TX · Member since 2010 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    15y

    The "My Discussion" feature on the forums is awesome Josh...MUCH improved. I have often spent a lot of time trying to find posts that I started...this narrows things down considerably.

    0
    Topic locked