Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes
Hi BP Community!
As you may have noticed, we recently launched some Pro Perks that give Pro Users like many of you discounts to important real estate investing products and services - these are significant discounts - thousands of dollars worth. Our goal is to continuously expand this and make it increasingly valuable to you.
One of the biggest, most valuable perks we might be able to offer is a partnership with Home Depot. Imagine if you could get a significant discount (like 5-10%+) on materials, services, and large rehab related purchases there? Wouldn't that save you a ton of time and money?
I am failing at getting in touch with the right people over at Home Depot to make this happen. We think it's a great opportunity to help you guys out, to increase the offerings we have here on BiggerPockets, and of course, increase your likelihood of shopping at Home Depot vs a competing store! I see a win/win/win.
I'm putting this out there as a plea for help - can someone with a connection, friend, family member, or inside knowledge of Home Depot help me get in contact with the person or team over there that can help make this happen?
Thanks in advance and feel free to PM me about this.
Real Estate Agent · Syracuse, UT · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 1 vote
8y
@Scott Trench I’d reach out to Lowe’s, they are so much more responsive and community oriented. They offer what they call the “Hero Program.” Each store has $2500 every year to spend on their local community, plus they allow their employees a certain number of hour of paid volunteer time each year. I know this because I run a chapter of a charity (Sleep in Heavenly Peace) in my town that builds beds for kids that don’t have beds and Lowe’s has been an amazing partner, donating tools, lumber, and their time to help us building and deliver beds to these kids. Now that’s the kind of company I want to work with long term. We’ve reached out to HD and get no response.
Flipper/Rehabber · Egg Harbor Township, NJ · Member since 2018 · 19 posts · 10 votes
8y
@Scott Trench
I know it’s not a huge discount, but if you buy online at Lowe’s, you can go through ebates and get 2% cash back. Piggyback that with discounted coupons or gift cards you can buy online and you can be at a 10-15% discount very quickly
Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 10 posts · 1 vote
8y
@Scott Trench
I used to work at Home Depot and they have a Pro Desk. I would say talk to an experienced person in that department first at your local Home Depot. They can lead you in the right direction.
I worked for Home Depot, through a middleman company that handles all of their flooring installations, all I have to say is good luck getting any discounts. They don't even give their employees a discount, and they can't buy things on sale, at the sale price until after the sale is over. On one of my first installations for them, they made me pay to get a transition for one of their customers who had paid $10K or something like that, and they screwed his order up. The homeowner had a life and his kids had school stuff, so I told him, I know what he needs, in there all the time, I will handle it. They mad me to fork out $10 to get this man what he should have gotten in the first place. I'll be impressed if you can make it happen.
Olathe, KS · Member since 2018 · 148 posts · 207 votes
8y
My guess is that the next time the economy goes south @Scott Trench you'll have a lot better chance of getting a discount. I've noticed that as the economy has been getting stronger the number of coupons available has diminished significantly. Basically, they've got all the bargaining power right now. However, economy goes south and they need sales, then I bet they'd be all over it.
Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
8y
Ok I'm confused by Home Depot and their discounts. So if you are in their loyalty program and spend 2000 you get 10% off of PAINT. What good is that?
I'd like to see HD give actual discounts based on the dollar amounts you spend that can be used toward ANYTHING you buy. (such as COSTCO does) 10% off on paint is not a discount, Sherwin Williams gives 30% all the time.
If they can't do that for pros, with the number of pros in the country shopping HD, I'm not seeing where BP is going to get them to give any type of meaningful discount.
Let's just try to use our influence to get them to change their overall policies, or possibly try LOWES, I like their brands better. HD is switching to lower end Chinese made products, plus they charge for kitchen design (Lowes doesn't)
Love to see Lowes start stocking a higher grade Diamond cabinets in the stores for fast fix/flips, etc.