Please Help BiggerPockets Partner with Home Depot!

Please Help BiggerPockets Partner with Home Depot!

Scott TrenchPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 6k+ votes

Hi BP Community! 

As you may have noticed, we recently launched some  Pro Perks that give Pro Users like many of you discounts to important real estate investing products and services - these are significant discounts - thousands of dollars worth. Our goal is to continuously expand this and make it increasingly valuable to you.

One of the biggest, most valuable perks we might be able to offer is a partnership with Home Depot. Imagine if you could get a significant discount (like 5-10%+) on materials, services, and large rehab related purchases there? Wouldn't that save you a ton of time and money? 

I am failing at getting in touch with the right people over at Home Depot to make this happen. We think it's a great opportunity to help you guys out, to increase the offerings we have here on BiggerPockets, and of course, increase your likelihood of shopping at Home Depot vs a competing store! I see a win/win/win. 

I'm putting this out there as a plea for help - can someone with a connection, friend, family member, or inside knowledge of Home Depot help me get in contact with the person or team over there that can help make this happen? 

Thanks in advance and feel free to PM me about this.

23Reply
166 views

Most Popular Reply

Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
8y

  Thanks for the effort!  And I'm so glad it's HD and not Lowes you are trying to get  :)

See this reply in the discussion

33 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Dawn BrenengenBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

      Thanks for the effort!  And I'm so glad it's HD and not Lowes you are trying to get  :)

  • Real Estate Professional · Brentwood CA / Dallas, TX · Member since 2016 · 185 posts · 146 votes
    8y

    @Scott Trench I have a friend who got one of his products into Home Depot, I can reach out to him and see if he may have any contacts.

  • James MasottiPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Washington Township, NJ · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 976 votes
    8y

    I can try to reach out to a few folks at HD corporate in Atlanta to see if they can provide any guidance on this.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    They have sales all of the time for 10-30% off. The problem is, if BP gets a deal it won't be able to be combined with other discounts, so not a lot of gain. What I would rather see is for them to do a special discount on a few major things, like appliances and flooring, where we could order those items anytime at a discount and not have to wait for a sale. THAT would be a huge value for me! 

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 104 votes
    8y

    I wish they would do a loyalty card/discount on something besides paint. Do what you will but to me, that would be the ultimate win/win/win for Home Depot @Scott Trench. If we earned a discount, or dollars back from each one of our purchases. The wouldn't be giving a discount just to discount, and it would promote some real loyalty.

    You could earn Home Depot dollars (much like Menards 11% rebate which can only be used in stores) that can be combined with other discounts and spent like cash. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Tulsa, OK · Member since 2016 · 408 posts · 242 votes
    8y

    This would be great. Sorry I can't really contribute, I actually shop at Lowes exclusively based. 

  • Flipper/Rehabber · eastern, WA · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 19 votes
    8y
    Like Karen said above, any BP discount we may get won’t be honored if you use a coupon or buy items that are on sale. Sounds like a great idea, but HD already had what’s called a “bid room” through their contractor pro desk, and if you buy enough at one time (usually $1,500 worth) you usually save at least 10%. In fact, the more you buy at once through the bid room, the more money you’ll save. I did it recently with a $6k purchase and saved a little over $1,200. I encourage anybody that doesn’t know about this to go in and speak to the pro desk.
  • Real Estate Agent · Cupertino, CA · Member since 2016 · 4k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y

    Active military service-10%, Pro Rewards. They used to give additional discount if you use their credit card.


  • Real Estate Agent · Ormond Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 215 posts · 158 votes
    8y

    Lowes has 10% for any military service record.

  • Real Estate Agent · Princeton, NJ · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    8y
    Scott Trench - National REIA has a 2% back rebate gift card program with Home Depot for combined purchases over 6,000/6 months and 20% (top) off Behr / all paints all the time. Something like that. I get that bonus with my $150 annual REIA fee.
  • Overland Park, KS · Member since 2013 · 55 posts · 12 votes
    8y
    Originally posted by @David Hildebrandt:

    You could earn Home Depot dollars (much like Menards 11% rebate which can only be used in stores) that can be combined with other discounts and spent like cash. 

    Home Depot is also 11% rebate any time Menard's is having that promo. I have earned quite a bit back in gift cards for future HD purchases. Love it.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    8y

    I was just looking at the Loyalty Program that HD has, and it actually gives great discounts based on the dollar amounts bought. Lowes on the other hand doesn't seem to have any value at all for being a pro member, am I missing something? 

    Either would be great for Biggerpockets to get on board. 

  • Cincinnati, OH · Member since 2016 · 146 posts · 104 votes
    8y

    Whoa... @Cole A. surprised that comment didn't break the internet! Definitely add that to my toolbelt!

  • Contractor · Jacksonville, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    8y
    @Cody L. I agree I love shopping at home depot but they are the worst at giving any kind of substantial discounts for any products besides paint... When I have to buy something substantial for my rental properties I go to Lowe's because they have a QSP pricing discount at the commercial sales desk and I get 25% off everything I buy when I use my Lowe's commercial card. This is the only reason I go to Lowe's because they have the worst customer service ever but it's nice saving a big chunk of money.
  • Investor · Independence mo · Member since 2011 · 165 posts · 49 votes
    8y

    All you must do at Lowes to get 5% off of everything is get a charge account, so no 3-5% wouldn’t save anything. Also every week Lowes has been giving 10-15.00 off coupons of a purchase of 75-100.00 the following weekend plus I still get the 5% on top of it. I use 7-10 coupons a weekend.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · eastern, WA · Member since 2017 · 35 posts · 19 votes
    8y

    @Mark Fries I buy doors, windows, light fixtures all the time and get great discounts at HD. The discount you get does depend on what the item is and quantity, but it usually works out pretty well. I actually just signed up for the Lowes QSP on a $1,600 purchase, and the discount wasn't great at all. Less that $150 in fact. Plus they wouldn't take an additional 5% for using my newly acquired lowes card (which is why I got it in the first place), AND they wouldn't let me use a 10% coupon I got in the mail. Apparently you can only use one discount at a time... So maybe it just depends which area you're in? Who knows, Lol

  • Real Estate Broker/Owner & Property Manager · Sugar Land, TX · Member since 2013 · 660 posts · 459 votes
    8y

    @Scott Trench That would be awesome. I buy most of the items for my flip from HD like last week spend almost $2000 just buying tiles and fixtures etc,. It would be really great to have some discount which will save us hundreds and impact our bottom line. 

  • Erie, PA · Member since 2018 · 413 posts · 348 votes
    8y

    If HD doesnt want the business, go to Lowes

  • Rental Property Investor · Chesapeake, VA · Member since 2017 · 79 posts · 58 votes
    8y

    The 10% discount HD gives military has a cap on it.

  • Contractor · Fort Worth, TX · Member since 2015 · 379 posts · 740 votes
    8y

    I'd be shocked if you could get 5-10%. I spend $300K+ at Home Depot every year, and I get their top-level Pro Rewards discount, which is 3%. Now that I have a personal rep, I also get rebates of 1-2% (can't recall exactly) in HD Gift Cards.

    The bid room can be helpful, depending on what you're buying. It's definitely not a guaranteed 10% discount as someone stated above. It completely depends on what you're buying and what their margins are on those items. On some things, the discounts are really good, but I've submitted $10K orders and seen it only come back with $300-400 discounts.

  • Flipper/Rehabber · Atlanta, GA · Member since 2018 · 2 posts · 1 vote
    8y
    @Scott Trenching. I am in Atlanta, home of Home Depot headquarters. When you are able to start the process, if you need someone local to meet with the Home Depot contact, let me know. I will be happy to do whatever needs to be done. Rhonda
  • Rental Property Investor · Amityville, NY · Member since 2018 · 351 posts · 441 votes
    8y

    As a small contractor I shop at home depot (or lowes) primarily for convenience when needing numerous items for different trades. Otherwise I will get a much better product, service and a lot of times price when going to a lumber yard, window & door supplier etc. 

    I'm finding lately a lot of items are more money at HD and Lowes then supply houses. Not to mention waiting for a special order from depot can be 4 weeks where I can usually get it in a week elsewhwere.

  • 46231 · Member since 2018 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    8y

    Are the supply houses only open to contractors?

  • Olathe, KS · Member since 2018 · 148 posts · 207 votes
    8y

    I just buy coupons off ebay for 10% off.  Either a coupon for the store itself or a competitor's coupon, both usually work.  

    I do this for every store, not just hardware stores.  Ebay is a goldmine for cheap coupons that can save you a ton of money.

  • Realtor · Mililani, HI · Member since 2017 · 33 posts · 19 votes
    8y
    @Deren Huang I hate lowes. I really really do hate them. Return is a nightmare. Real nightmare.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.