What is the best software for landlords managing 125 units?

2 Replies

@Scott Neudecker This depends on what features your looking for. Myself, personally, I did not want a cloud based program because they carry a monthly expense. I chose Tenant File which you can purchase for a fixed cost. The program is robust and has everything you would need as far as printing checks, reports, P&L, balance sheets, etc. This is truly the only program I have ever tried and found it highly recommended by some colleagues. Much older kind of program FYI. Like it looks like something from Windows 95 but works great - don’t mistake it. I have heard of Buildium, Cozy, and AppFolio. I have no experience with them but did review heavily before committing to TF. Once again, biggest drawback on the latter program is they are cloud based and carry a monthly fee that I just didn’t want.

This is a common question but there's no perfect answer. My recommendation is for you to sit down with pen and paper, or a spreadsheet, and analyze every task you do in a given month. Then determine how much time you spend on each task in one month.

For example, I started out using Microsoft Money 2004. When I received rent, I had to receive it in the tenant's ledger then pay it out to the owner. Then I went to the owner's ledger to receive it and pay it out. Receiving rent, paying a vendor, paying the owner...it all required duplicate steps and was very time-consuming. I had to use a different system to track contact information for owners, tenants, and vendors. And work orders were tracked on a printed spreadsheet. It was very inefficient and those were my three largest issues. I looked for a software that was capable of handling these three things without a steep learning curve. I tested the top five software programs and settled on Buildium which was perfect for my needs and great for my budget.

Two years later, things were flowing smoothly but I had identified a couple shortfalls with Buildium that were requiring too much time or for me to use different software. After identifying the specific issues, I researched software and found something that solved my problem again.

I think it's important to know your problems and then find software to solve them. Asking for my opinion may help a little but I can't possibly answer your question without knowing exactly what problems you face.

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

We hate spam just as much as you