Ep 305. Financial Independence at 30 with Brad Dantonio

Ep 305. Financial Independence at 30 with Brad Dantonio

Mindy JensenPro Member
BiggerPockets Money Podcast Host · Longmont, CO · Member since 2014 · 7k+ posts · 10k+ votes

Are you interested in retiring early with real estate but don’t want to manage hundreds of properties to do so? Today’s guest has managed to travel to 54 countries in the last three years after retiring in his 30s by owning just FIVE properties.

Brad Dantonio shares exactly how he reached financial independence at such a young age by focusing on three unique skill sets (and how you can, too). In this episode, you’ll learn how Brad has created “time wealth,” how he tracks every expense he has, and how he achieved the equivalent of a four-year degree while sitting in Houston traffic!

Brad also gives us the three tips he shares with young people (including how to take your journaling to a whole new level), how he forever changed his relationship to fear, and how learning the art of delaying gratification at a young age gave him an advantage over his competition for life! Brad has a fantastic story of overcoming adversity as a young child and using his setbacks as fuel to create the system he used to retire early and live the life of his dreams. If you want to use real estate to live your best life, this is an episode you don’t want to miss!

Listen here or on your favorite podcast app.

9Reply
24 views

Most Popular Reply

Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 38 votes
7y
@Zach Quick toshl.
See this reply in the discussion

23 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · El Monte CA · Member since 2018 · 134 posts · 66 votes
    7y

    Heard it today makes me want to keep my paid off property nice interview

  • Member since 2018 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    One of my favourite Podcasts! Not only is it impressive that Brad has found financial freedom with 5 properties, but he shares a wealth of knowledge on ways to do the same! He was clear on his goal and stuck to the numbers instead of being emotional. Thanks for your vulnerability in sharing your family story @Brad Dantonio.

  • Investor · Bentonville, AR · Member since 2014 · 759 posts · 379 votes
    7y

    What was the name of the spending app he used again? Had a hard time finding it.

  • Rental Property Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2016 · 91 posts · 38 votes
    7y
    @Zach Quick toshl.
  • Real Estate Agent · McAllen Texas · Member since 2018 · 188 posts · 186 votes
    7y

    I agree @Josh Clow. Cool podcast. Loved how he had his goals set out clearly and specifically. He didn't get lost in the weeds or noise or opinions of others. Well done @Brad Dantonio. Thank you

  • Rental Property Investor · Mooresville, NC · Member since 2018 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    7y
    I liked it too. Did anyone write down the formulas he used when evaluating deals?
  • Real Estate Agent · Queens, NY · Member since 2015 · 83 posts · 39 votes
    7y

    Awesome podcast! Changed my whole feeling about paying off properties

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    One of my favorite episodes. “Offense/Defense/Goals” plain and simple and  with only 5 Properties👌🏻 #Inspired

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    very informative and helpful.

  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2018 · 69 posts · 33 votes
    7y

    Hearing this podcast really helped me remember why I wanted to get into real estate it wasn't to be the richest man in Babylon but to be free to do what I want and be in control of my work. Thanks Brad for sharing your experiences! 

  • Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    As a young professional, I really loved this interview. It truly helped me change my perspective on income and looking at life at a much more macro level. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Tipp City, OH · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 1 vote
    7y

    what a great podcast! It goes to show you that you don’t need hundreds of rental properties to hit your FIRE goals at a modest income. Great Job Brad!

  • Johns Creek, GA · Member since 2018 · 11 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    His thoughts on buying cash really resonated.  It's impressive that Brad has gained financial freedom from 5 properties.  2 down 3 more to go.  

  • Rental Property Investor · Miami Beach, FL · Member since 2017 · 105 posts · 59 votes
    7y

    Loved this podcast and loved his life approach. I manage my own properties and I am now in the middle of so many "projects" for my tenants... this podcast re assured me that more is not always better. Now I just want to pay off all my mortgages!

  • Rental Property Investor · Stewartsville, NJ · Member since 2016 · 418 posts · 280 votes
    7y

    Very good podcast.  We are employing a similar strategy, but doing it with short-term rentals instead.

  • Washougal, WA · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    This podcast is one of my favorites.  I will listen to it several more times.  There's a lot of good general tips about success (ie reading books) and some interesting stats about the habits of college graduates.

  • Raleigh, NC · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 6 votes
    7y

    Great podcast! Thanks Brad Dantonio and BP. I love the idea of fewer properties and higher income per property due to having them paid off. I wish we would have heard more specifics about how he saved up that much cash. 

  • Member since 2018 · 3 posts · 2 votes
    7y

    With patients and persistence anyone can do what Brad did!  

    I am now in my 30s and feel behind the eight ball.  I have gotten most of the way to where Brad is by getting out of debt, lowering our expenses, paying cash for as much as possible and saving an emergency fund of a few months.

    Instead of going it to debt to grow my real estate investing I will use OPM.  I may make "less" per deal but the momentum will pay off in the long running.  I'd rather have a small piece of a very large pie than a large piece of a very small pie.

  • Rental Property Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 280 posts · 176 votes
    7y

    @Mindy Jensen @Brandon Turner This was a great episode. The best part for me was how Brad talks about learning to do the things that others don't care to do - in his case, Sales and Marketing as well as Communication and Public Speaking. He had mentioned that he listed to certain podcasts to teach him these skills. I KNOW I need to focus on improving these skills in my life and I'd love to learn what specific podcasts he could recommend. Unfortunately I cannot reach out to him on his site (there is no 'Contact Me' option). Anyway to put me in touch?

  • Specialist · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 5 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    Wonderful stories with insightful background on Brad. This was the first podcast I listened to by BiggerPockets. It is also the reason I subscribed and joined this website. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Tonasket, WA · Member since 2018 · 4 posts · 1 vote
    7y

    I listened to the podcast. It was just amazing!!!

  • Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Daniel Gibbons Break everything down monthly. Gross monthly rent less taxes, insurance & HOA. Take that number and divide it by your purchase price. Then take that number and multiply it by 12.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.