Multi Family - Are you talking a Plex or an Apartment?

Multi Family - Are you talking a Plex or an Apartment?

Greg ScottPro Member
Rental Property Investor · SE Michigan · Member since 2014 · 4k+ posts · 6k+ votes

I've found that on Bigger Pockets the term Multi Family can create confusion.

I spent half of my investing career in Single Family and the other in Apartments.   Spending time with apartment owners you will find they use term Multi Family and Apartment interchangeably.  Anything 2-4 units they call a Plex.   I have noticed that many people posting on BP use the term Multi Family differently.  In BP I've seen Multi Family used to describe just about anything of any size as long as it has 2+ units. I recently read a forum post "Where can I get multi family insurance?".  So what is the right answer???

The problem is there is a major difference between managing a duplex and a 100-unit apartment.  (The posting happened to be talking about a duplex)   The financing and insurance for a duplex can generally be purchased by the same companies that support single family.   Once you get to something as big as 100 units, it is a completely different ball game with different companies, different rules.  Generally, anything 5+ units is considered an apartment, although the smaller apartments (e.g. 5-20 units) are kind of in a gray area.

Has anyone else noticed this issue?

Would love to see BP help create greater definition around these groupings as it will drive better discussion in the forums.

1Reply
14 views

1 Reply

Jump to latestLatest
  • Rental Property Investor · RVA · Member since 2016 · 5k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    I've certainly seen that come up. I invest in 100+ unit apartment complexes, and I use "apartments" and "multifamily" interchangeably. I think it'll be a big undertaking to get anyone to change

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.