BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
Hey All -
One of our upcoming projects is to update our influence system to one that better reflects a user's influence on the site.
We will be transforming the system from the current limitless influence scale to a 0 to 100 scale, where all new users start at 50, and can work down or up from there. Active users who have influence points currently will be placed in the new system based on their current influence.
That said, one of the important factors of our new system will be a time decay of influence, so those people who may have been active in the past, but who are no longer active, will slowly lose points over time.
Ultimately, we're interested in hearing from you, what makes you trust OR NOT trust someone on the site?
We want to take as many factors into account as possible so this system has some meaning and shows at any given time who the influencers are, and I'm looking to you for your feedback.
One of the things I'm most interested in hearing about is user feedback on negatives and the drivers of a user losing "points" on our scale.
Thanks and I look forward to a lively and respectful debate.
Developer · Santa Clarita, CA · Member since 2008 · 15k+ posts · 10k+ votes
14y
After reading all the comments thus far, I am leaning towards this:
Screw it, delete the influence system all together, who cares. You know who you like and respect after reading their posts so just go with that. If you are new, it will become abundantly clear who the main contributors are, who is wise in what areas and who is not.
Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
14y
Originally posted by Uwe S.:
Great work Joshua Dorkin, vote from me :).
But there is a question who has 100 influence points actual? Jon Holdman has 95, Will Barnard, Jon K. and you have 91-92 points, Rich Weese only 88 ;)
-Uwe
100 - Perfection - The unobtainable goal... a goal to strive for, but never to be reached! What would one do after having achieved perfection anyhow? It would be depressing, there's only one direction to go and that's down! No... there shall be no 100... simply the dream of 100!
Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
14y
Originally posted by Jon K.:
Originally posted by Steve Babiak:
I see one really obvious problem.
The user who started the thread I am linking to here had worse than -900 influence under the old system, and yet the reset puts her the same as any other member who has never violated the BP terms. Seems not quite right to me. High negative numbers should have been set to be below the mid-point of the new system IMO; we can debate the meaning of high in this context maybe.
Perhaps that's because years have passed since the user referenced committed her offenses? Time served?
Well, my read was that over time, accounts that had gone without activity would receive a reduction in their influence, so this one rather than being at 50 should be more like 0 - or even below!
Real Estate Investor · the villages, FL · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 3k+ votes
14y
Uwe- I'm happy with whatever score I have. Remember, I was one that said to dump the entire thing. I don't have a clue what affects the score, so if the # ever changes, I'll have to figure out what I did! Rich
Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
14y
Originally posted by Nick J.:
Nope, volunteer work for me. Thankfully, the judge approved it as 'community service'. Too bad, I heard Joshua Dorkin is paying out big bucks for help
So you "volunteer" to help... get comp'd the room for your help... exchange floor space in your room for free food... next you're going to be dating a flight attendant to get a free flight!
Investor · San Ramon, CA · Member since 2011 · 1k+ posts · 569 votes
14y
Originally posted by Rich Weese:
Nick is also helping me find property in AZ! He needs a higher score!!!!! Rich
Well crap, now that I know that I like him even more. Definitely need to talk to him about that. My parents are still in Phoenix (Gilbert) so I was thinking of expanding my search to that area as I have boots on the ground. Unfortunately, as they are completely ignorant to real estate, I need to do some research first. Nick, you have been reduced to "research".
I get the impression you work for food... what does a $1 cheeseburger get me? :)
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
14y
IMO, looking at some other ratings it apperas to me to be pretty much a popularity assessment. I must admit too that my influence here is not something that equates to dollars for me where many here attempt to gain business through this site, I have been insulted before and probably will be again.....compared to others here I know.
Hopefully new people will not put much stock in it and they will take the time to investigate through the profiles as well.
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
14y
It has nothing to do with popularity, Bill, but is based on contributions to the BiggerPockets community.
As for those with negative influence, we're giving everyone a one time reprieve for time served, as Jon mentioned.
As I've said many times before, the old system wasn't perfect, and the new one certainly isn't either, but I've spent a lot of time with people who I believe to be a lot smarter than I am, and we've put together something that I think is a VAST improvement over the last one.
Feedback is welcome from everyone, but please be productive. Thanks!
Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
14y
There is serious work to do on this. Just found the assessment of someone who seemed to be ther biggest player of the old system and while he is moving right along in his "education" he sure as H*LL is not a point away from perfect, far from it! What the H*LL???
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
14y
Bill -
Old scores are reflected in the new system for now, however there is attrition built into the system. A user's influence will decline over time based on several criteria. If you're angry because some user's influence is high, unless they actively contribute to the community and the community as a whole respects them based on certain factors which I'm not going to share, their influence will decline. The system tries to be fair, but as I said, nothing is perfect.
You can always just ignore it if you don't feel it has any meaning for you.
Real Estate Investor, CA · Member since 2012 · 93 posts · 20 votes
14y
I admit I am fairly new, but don't I get like a 51 Josh? LOL. I am just kidding here, but I guess I am curious what it takes to get to 51. I am new but have been fairly active since joining, in my opinion at least, yet I am still stalled at 50, the same number for someone who signs up today. It this a sign I have not done much in here?
Commercial Real Estate Lender / Syndicator · Dallas, TX · Member since 2011 · 888 posts · 309 votes
14y
I know you work hard and spend a lot of time thinking about BP, Josh. Sorry if my comment about the broken influence system offended you. I was just backing up something I said early in this thread....
"What's the point in changing it if those that benefited from the older (ten thousand to one or whatever it was) formula are still going to be at the top, whereas those that joined later only got ten to one?
For those that say the current system needs to change because it isn't working well and can be scammed. I say, those that scammed it before still come out better than those that scammed it later...and both scammers come out better than those that didn't try to manipulate it.
So who wins? The scammers and the guys who get to spout it was changed because it wasn't working."
Real Estate Investor · Surprise, AZ · Member since 2011 · 51 posts · 2 votes
14y
I've found that most people on BP are actually trying to help those of us who are newbies. @ Joshua Dorkin if there is a way to verify quality advice please incorporate it into the new system.