Effective Strategies for Using BiggerPockets

Effective Strategies for Using BiggerPockets

Joshua D.Pro Member
BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes

I put together a presentation that is designed to show our users some strategies for successfully using the website . . . whether you're a new member or a long-time user, there are tips here that will come in handy for most of you.

Please take a few moments to check it out and let us know your thoughts below:

Effectively Using the BiggerPockets Real Estate Social Network to Build Your Business

8Reply
13 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 348 posts · 128 votes
12y

I love @Steve Babiak 's idea of giving the newbies something about the search function so we can avoid the asking of the same question a hundred times.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Tyngsboro, MA · Member since 2009 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    14y

    Thanks, Joshua Dorkin, this prompted me to add some verbiage to my profile.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    No problem, Ann Bellamy! I'm glad you found some value in it. Please feel free to pass it on.

  • Karen MargraveBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Realtor, General Contractor, and Developer · Redding, CA · Member since 2009 · 7k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    14y

    Looks good Joshua, I'm sure it will be very helpful to newcomers. Those stats are pretty impressive too! You can be very proud of yourself, though I know this will soon be the next facebook for real estate!

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    14y

    Josh,

    Nice set of slides. I was particularly pleased that you encouraged those looking to become colleagues to give a small introductory message; so often I feel that people act just like those certain REIA members who just shove a busniess card in front of you and never say anything before quickly shuffling away. Part of networking is understanding those who wish to be "in" your network.

    I would suggest adding something further about use of the search functions to facilitate retrieval of info that already is posted.

    I would also suggest that a link to this slide show be placed in front of all newly subscribed members in some manner.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    14y

    Thanks Steve Babiak. Anyone can create their own presentations about using the site . . . I certainly encourage our members to help out and write or record their own tutorials.

    As for sharing the presentation to all new members -- that's a great idea. We're working on another presentation, and once complete, these two will be shared with everyone new. Great idea.

    Karen M. - Much appreciated.

  • Specialist · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2013 · 227 posts · 158 votes
    12y

    Those were good tips I'm glad I read it first!

    Thanks

  • Investor · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2013 · 348 posts · 128 votes
    12y

    I love @Steve Babiak 's idea of giving the newbies something about the search function so we can avoid the asking of the same question a hundred times.

  • Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2012 · 111 posts · 73 votes
    12y

    @Joshua D. Is that slide show still around? I click on the link and the slideshow won't load.

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    @Cliff Mccue - Try the link again . . . seems the Slideshare made some changes, rendering the old embed broken. It works now.

  • Wholesaler · Annandale, VA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    I want to introduce myself in New Introductions. Do I :

    a - Start a New Topic

    b - Start a Thread in New Introductions

    c - something else??

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    @Tom Fields - A & B would be the same thing as long as you started the New Topic and selected the New Member intro forum as the place to put it.

  • Wholesaler · Annandale, VA · Member since 2014 · 24 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    Joshua,

    Thanks. It seemed to me that I was going to create a new topic outside of the New Introductions "Forum." The hierarchy and the terms under each level weren't clear to me. A corporate trainer by trade, I tend to get overly literal. :-)

    thanks again.

    Tom

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    No problem, @Tom Fields

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston, TX · Member since 2013 · 110 posts · 35 votes
    12y

    Wow.

    Can not believe so many members and so few post here.

    I myself, have not read the introduction until today, honestly I do not think I would have appreciated it as much if not being more involved as of late.

    The read was highly valuable, it should extend beyond BP, more business should be modeled after some of the writing, providing value, promoting integrity, and making your reputation in the community worth wile and trustworthy. 

    Thank you for the share. 

  • Real Estate Agent · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2014 · 19 posts · 4 votes
    12y

    This is so helpful as a newbie.

    You guys are so dope! :-) I am very excited to be apart of something so wonderful. 

    Thank You, 

  • Real Estate Investor · Audubon, PA · Member since 2009 · 13k+ posts · 8k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Lutonya Johnson:

    ....

    You guys are so dope! :-)  ...

    Yeah, BP can be addictive like that stuff ...

  • Residential Real Estate Agent · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2014 · 17 posts · 6 votes
    12y
    Great read! As anew member BP has so much information your not sure where to start or navigate. Created my alerts, reading forums and listen to podcast is as far as I have gotten so this will help. Thank you !
  • Investor, Entrepreneur, Educator · Springfield, MO · Member since 2009 · 21k+ posts · 12k+ votes
    12y

    @Steve Babiak 

    I was an addict, but now I'm not. My system can save you too, I include a comprehensive approach to healing that begins with learning how to use the search function, using key words and how to engage others who do things right, not just popular. You can break the guru habits understanding that you can have a great life ahead. Time is on your side, you can learn how not to be desperate asking questions that are only answered by those on the corner pushing inexperienced advice or the business killing illegal stuff.  Selecting the right care giver is the key to your success. Josh has made the tools available, learn how to use them and experience the happiness that you deserve. :)  

  • Wholesaler · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2012 · 259 posts · 147 votes
    12y

    This post finally made me update my profile here on BP. It was woefully outdated so thanks for the reminder on how to use BP more effectively!

  • Joshua D.Pro Member
    OP
    BiggerPockets Founder · HI · Member since 2008 · 16k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    12y

    @Brandon Foken - If that's the result of the post, then it was worth highlighting again.

    To everyone else - thanks for the feedback. I'm glad you found it helpful.

  • Midland, MI · Member since 2014 · 20 posts · 7 votes
    12y
    Awesome read!
  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis , MN · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 33 votes
    12y
    Thanks for sharing these tips.
  • Real Estate Investor · Nevada, TX · Member since 2014 · 66 posts · 16 votes
    12y

    Thanks @Joshua Dorkin great advice.  This will greatly enhance my BP experiences.

  • Real Estate Investor · Minneapolis , MN · Member since 2014 · 169 posts · 33 votes
    12y

    Josh, thanks for your tips. 

  • Denver, CO · Member since 2014 · 4 posts · 3 votes
    12y

    @Joshua D. thank you. As I am a newbie myself, I find the presentation very helpful. I would also like to take the time to say that I greatly appreciate the help. So far, the beginner's guide and all of the forums are such a HUGE wealth of information. I find myself overly excited and slightly overwhelmed so I really love that I have somewhere where I can ask questions and know that I will get selfless, honest answers. Thank you BP community!

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.