Mobile home condition

Mobile home condition

Lady Lake, FL · Member since 2011 · 7 posts · 4 votes

I am contemplating making an offer on a 1995 double-wide mobile home through one of these auction sites but saw two problems that concern me: 1) the back door won't open - it seems to be pretty firmly jammed shut; and 2) there is evidence of damage on the ceiling of the same side of the home, near a fireplace. My question is: what are the chances that either of these problems represent a significant and expensive issue (such as improper setting of the home, or settling, or something)? I am assuming the roof is original and will have to be replaced sooner rather than later. But I am concerned about the door too...could I be getting into some really expensive problems here, with the way the home is set on the lot? An inspection is not going to be an option before the bidding period ends tomorrow, and so I will have to bid without the benefit of a full inspection if I do so...so I'd appreciate any thoughts anyone has about what might be going on here, particularly with the door. Thanks!

0Reply
15 views

Most Popular Reply

Flipper · Mission, KS · Member since 2009 · 23 posts · 8 votes
12y

The great thing about a mobile as opposed to a stick built, is that if the home has settled or is no longer level, get under there and shim it up. A little adjustment will make a big difference when it comes to doors. You may need to hire a professional for this, but it isn't a terribly expensive fix.

But yeah, like Matt said, make sure it isn't screwed shut. A lot of people do that to secure the homes.

See this reply in the discussion

3 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Vincennes, IN · Member since 2013 · 223 posts · 108 votes
    12y

    Chandra,

    I will preface this with saying that what I think may be an inexpensive repair, someone else, possibly yourself may think it would be expensive. It all depends on what you are planning to do with the home and how much you are willing to pay for it, as to whether the repairs are worth it or not.

    That being said a door usually isn't a big deal, the whole thing can usually be replaced for less than $250, but I doubt it needs to be replaced. I would probably first check to see if it had been screwed shut (not uncommon, especially if the home was vacant.) The ceiling could possibly be a different story, but is hard to say without seeing it. A repair around a chimney, say $300-$500. Replacement would be more.

    I would actually be more concerned with some of the mechanicals such as heat, ac and plumbing. Also, will you have to move the home? Moving a doublewide can be anywhere from $5k on the low end to $10k on the high end.

    Much success.

  • Flipper · Mission, KS · Member since 2009 · 23 posts · 8 votes
    12y

    The great thing about a mobile as opposed to a stick built, is that if the home has settled or is no longer level, get under there and shim it up. A little adjustment will make a big difference when it comes to doors. You may need to hire a professional for this, but it isn't a terribly expensive fix.

    But yeah, like Matt said, make sure it isn't screwed shut. A lot of people do that to secure the homes.

  • Developer · Garland, TX · Member since 2008 · 8k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    12y
    Originally posted by @Eric S.:
    The great thing about a mobile as opposed to a stick built, is that if the home has settled or is no longer level, get under there and shim it up. A little adjustment will make a big difference when it comes to doors. You may need to hire a professional for this, but it isn't a terribly expensive fix.

    But yeah, like Matt said, make sure it isn't screwed shut. A lot of people do that to secure the homes.

    So true, I've owned a lot of mobile homes, and I don't recall ever having one that couldn't be leveled in a single day.

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.