I’ve been tasked with sourcing off-market mobile home communities (100+ pads) in specific markets and MSAs, and I’m trying to be intentional about how I go about it rather than just blasting lists.
I understand the obvious channels (brokers, LoopNet, etc.), but the focus here is true off-market: owners who may be tired, under-managed, partnership fatigue, estate situations, or simply open to a conversation.
For those of you who’ve successfully sourced larger MHCs off-market:
What channels actually produced deals for you?
Did you lean more on direct-to-owner outreach, local relationships, or referrals?
How important was local market presence vs centralized outreach?
Any nuance when targeting 100+ pad parks vs smaller communities?
I’m especially curious what’s worked in:
Secondary / tertiary MSAs
Markets where parks are institutionally scarce but still sizable
Not looking for shortcuts — just trying to learn from people who’ve been in the trenches and have closed deals this way.
What are you hoping to accomplish via direct outreach?
There are professional MHP brokers who know essentially every 50+ pad property in the United States. They are constantly marketing to these owners.
The "how" depends on what specifically are you offering to these owners that is different then a fully marketed sale process by a decade or more experienced broker?
For example, are you an experienced operator offering a master lease with a purchase option to the owner to relieve them daily headaches?
Are you making a fully commitable offer to this owner when ou call, with guaranteed funds to back it up? There are pros and cons to this, some funds try it but also hurt themselves by cutting out the brokers in a narrow niche.