property tax is ridiculous. How do I lower it?

property tax is ridiculous. How do I lower it?

granger, IN · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 3 votes

Hi Folks,

If the property tax deemed ridiculously expensive and I want to appeal the county to lower it, Can I delegate this task to a third party?

If so, Is there any company out there that doing this?

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Bayport, MN · Member since 2018 · 92 posts · 52 votes
7y

Is this a commercial or residential property?

I got the 2019 proposed value of one of my residential properties (a 20 foot by 130 foot vacant lot) cut in half this year.  I had to go to the board of appeal and equalization meeting that took place in May. It was made of the city council members and the property assessor for the county.  I explained why I thought the proposed value was too high. A few days later the assessor came out and met with me at the property.  About a week later he called me and said yep, we are lowering it to this value, which was less than the 2018 value.

If I didn't agree with his new value, I could have appealed that to the county board, then to tax court.  

See this reply in the discussion

8 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bayport, MN · Member since 2018 · 92 posts · 52 votes
    7y

    Is this a commercial or residential property?

    I got the 2019 proposed value of one of my residential properties (a 20 foot by 130 foot vacant lot) cut in half this year.  I had to go to the board of appeal and equalization meeting that took place in May. It was made of the city council members and the property assessor for the county.  I explained why I thought the proposed value was too high. A few days later the assessor came out and met with me at the property.  About a week later he called me and said yep, we are lowering it to this value, which was less than the 2018 value.

    If I didn't agree with his new value, I could have appealed that to the county board, then to tax court.  

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Paul Kit:

    Hi Folks,

    If the property tax deemed ridiculously expensive and I want to appeal the county to lower it, Can I delegate this task to a third party?

    If so, Is there any company out there that doing this?

     there are folks that do this for a living. 

  • Jaron WallingPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    7y

    How does the property tax compare to other properties? You can get it lowered in certain situations based on the county assessed value. 

  • granger, IN · Member since 2018 · 37 posts · 3 votes
    7y

    @Brian R. yes this is a commercial real estate property. To be more specific, it's a mobile home park

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 524 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    What are the nationwide companies that do this? I would be interested in knowing their contact information and website address. Thanks in advance!

    -Gulliver 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Gulliver R.:

    @Jay Hinrichs

    What are the nationwide companies that do this? I would be interested in knowing their contact information and website address. Thanks in advance!

    -Gulliver 

     I don't know nationwide but I do know that markets have them.. just ask Mr. Google to find one for you

  • Rental Property Investor · Seattle, WA · Member since 2016 · 524 posts · 148 votes
    7y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    Ok. So what do I type in the google search? Property tax decreasers? Property tax negotiators?

  • Rental Property Investor · Friendswood, TX · Member since 2010 · 663 posts · 508 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by @Gulliver R.:

    @Jay Hinrichs

    Ok. So what do I type in the google search? Property tax decreasers? Property tax negotiators?

    Property Tax Appeal Firm

    Some might be firms that do this, some might be law offices.  Find someone that is familiar what you are working with. Some charge a flat contingency , ie 20-30%. You might be able to get a break on a larger asset that has upside in tax savings. And some will have a fee that carry into subsequent years so just know what you are doing.  The companies i have worked with are not national, all local, maybe a general region or possibly state but most know how to work the counties they are familiar with so maybe thats why there isn't national cos ( or are , i just don't know enough ) 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.