[MN] How to Get Hourly Realtor?

[MN] How to Get Hourly Realtor?

Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 10 votes

I'm sure I'm not alone in being frustrated with realtors. My most recent experience I knew exactly what property I was after (like most investors its just a numbers game) and figured it would be a quick and easy purchase (depressed market no other bidders). My realtor didn't have to do a bunch of showings or anything so I engaged him in a rebating deal. I offered him a fixed minimum and if it something gets discovered as a time sink he can take an hourly minimum. He didn't want that and instead countered that he'd just rebate half and I accepted. 

Well a major item was discovered in inspection, etc. (unit has had an issue with flooding and likely fix is extremely expensive). Sure enough because realtor commission structure basically incentivizes him into working against me (I effectively get stuck with 2 sellers agents instead of 1 for me) and keeps trying to downplay it in order to get a deal done. I have to turn to a client who I know buys property likely with these issues and he tells me to probably run from this. I actually decide to make a generous offer reflecting some of the cost to fix, seller scoffs, and my buyers agent acts like a wounded puppy to make me feel bad for wanting to revise my offer in any way over a place that has an expensive flooding problem. Also if you think I just have a "bad realtor", I've met many and he's probably one of the nicer more reasonable ones, but I do feel like the realtor commission incentives even make a good realtor at least a little difficult to work with. Even if something like is fixable with a better commissioned realtor the problem is that I wouldn't know them out of the gate so its not like I could actually trust them until after a few transactions they proved they weren't just always very biased into me saying yes on a deal (regardless of whether its good deal or not).


Is it really too much to ask for letting a realtor take a high hourly rate out of the commission and rebate the rest? In the low chance a deal doesn't go through I'll just roll the hours spent on that one into the next one and the rebate to me on that one shrinks? Its really weird that realtors will agree to like $50-100 from another realtor to help do a showing while one of them is on vacation, but offer them a much higher hourly rate in a rebating deal and so many act like I'm destroying their industry.


I'm a business owner who pays current staff very generously. I also frequently bonus/tip extra when I know someone has given me more useful information than I'd expect or for putting in extra effort. I prefer to put much of my surplus earnings into investment real estate over the years and looking for a long term realtor that has a decent head on their shoulders and while I think all pay structures have their pro's and con's... I'd prefer much less conflicted than the current set up. Note: I'd also rather not get my own license... I am rather busy and I am willing to pay well to outsource certain items.

Any suggestions on finding a realtor that would agree to something like this is appreciated. If you are a realtor in the MN (Twin Cities) market and you're open to a relationship like this feel free to private message me.

0Reply
246 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
4y

Sounds like you are asking for top notch service from a discount professional. 

The really good agents are not out there looking for an hourly pay or to do rebates....the top ones have so many people begging to work for them that they have way more business than they can handle.

All real estate agents are not created equal, and Im by no means saying all full priced ones are good....but definitely the good ones are not discounting because they have no need to. 

See this reply in the discussion

69 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Russell BrazilBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
    4y

    Sounds like you are asking for top notch service from a discount professional. 

    The really good agents are not out there looking for an hourly pay or to do rebates....the top ones have so many people begging to work for them that they have way more business than they can handle.

    All real estate agents are not created equal, and Im by no means saying all full priced ones are good....but definitely the good ones are not discounting because they have no need to. 

  • Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 10 votes
    4y

    Russell

    I'd be content with a decent degree of mediocrity/average capability. I'm capable of doing a lot of thought on this myself (and if something comes up during the contingency period requiring special legwork I can usually do most of that work myself).

    Also in my experience many of those claiming to be "top notch" rarely do much of anything different than others. They're probably just good at marketing and do the same template process as everyone else. And truthfully if they did do something special... I probably couldn't figure that out in advance of working with them which would mean me guessing wrong on several full commission realtors who don't do anything special before I'd find a "great one" anyway... much easier to just find a decent realtor and throw them a very high hourly rate.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    I get the frustration.  There are many bad agents out there.  If a Realtor is willing to negotiate his commission in half then how do you think the realtor is going to negotiate for you going forward?  That was already a bad sign.  To @Russell Brazil point, if the realtor was good, he wouldn't need to negotiate.  I've had clients find the properties but then I show my value during negotiations.  

    Using your logic regarding the seller paying commissions, offer to pay him direct and get a discount on the price. That way the pay is coming from your pocket.

  • Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 10 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Rick Albert:

    I get the frustration.  There are many bad agents out there.  If a Realtor is willing to negotiate his commission in half then how do you think the realtor is going to negotiate for you going forward?  That was already a bad sign.  To @Russell Brazil point, if the realtor was good, he wouldn't need to negotiate.  I've had clients find the properties but then I show my value during negotiations.  

    Using your logic regarding the seller paying commissions, offer to pay him direct and get a discount on the price. That way the pay is coming from your pocket.

    Rick lets give you an example. Lets say the property is for sale by Zillow itself and the listing agent for Zillow only accepts emailed purchase agreement offers with 48 hour response times, no phone conversation, and you can't communicate in anyway with the Zillow employee analyst reviewing the offer. How are you going to "negotiate" with them? (Note: This last one wasn't a zillow property, but the next that I'm considering bidding on is one).

    Being honest you and me both know you're just going to submit their boilerplate purchase agreement either way and they're either going to accept or not accept the offer. You also know that several brokerage houses will offer you an assistant that will charge you less than $500 of your commission to actually check box/input the couple dozen items into the template purchase agreement. Also its not like you're needed at closing either so really the only time we're talking about is if anything weird happens during the contingency period.


    I recently learned about your suggestion of submitting offer to seller with seller side agent cut (so they net more). Still considering that as an option, but I'd honestly prefer a deal with a realtor.

    Also I mentioned above about the next place I'm thinking about bidding on is owned by Zillow. The "realtor" repping those Zillow properties in the Twin Cities is so systemized I don't think they would ever entertain (or even really have a mechanism to communicate) an offer with a cut in buyers side agent commission for a higher Zillow net. Not positive of it, but that is what I'd suspect.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 48 votes
    4y

    What you are seeking is totally reasonable. But the only way it makes sense is that you pay the realtor on a retainer by the hour and they get paid whether or not you close. Then you get 100% of the commission when you do close. That's the way my brokerage does it but we're in Chicago. Not many do that but you can try Google - something like "pay realtor by the hour" or "hourly realtor".

  • Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 10 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Gary Lucido:

    What you are seeking is totally reasonable. But the only way it makes sense is that you pay the realtor on a retainer by the hour and they get paid whether or not you close. Then you get 100% of the commission when you do close. That's the way my brokerage does it but we're in Chicago. Not many do that but you can try Google - something like "pay realtor by the hour" or "hourly realtor".

    I would be completely fine with processing via retainer or as we go.

    Tried google searching that in Twin Cities market and no luck. 


    Honestly in this environment where I can imagine so many buyers clients are effectively time wasters with 10-20 bidders on the same home and never a deal going through... it seems to make increasingly more sense for realtors to jump at the option to get paid for everyone of showings and bid submissions that are deadends.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Jon D.

    That’s because I thought is a Realtors only job is to get an offer accepted. A decent realtor will also know how to negotiate based off inspections, etc. I just negotiated a $35,000 credit towards closing costs on a big deal for my buyers. Other clients I’ve been able to negotiate price reductions, repairs, etc. If this is something you think you can do on your own, then go for it. I have not had a chance to work with Zillow properties yet but whether they admit it or not they are desperate to sell. There may be an opportunity to renegotiate once under contract.

  • Real Estate Agent · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2018 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Gary Lucido

    That’s interesting. I think if I were to except an hourly option, I would also want to get paid to do showings. I have to prioritize clients but this could be an interesting workaround.

  • Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 10 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Rick Albert:

    @Gary Lucido

    That’s interesting. I think if I were to except an hourly option, I would also want to get paid to do showings. I have to prioritize clients but this could be an interesting workaround.

    The assumption of course would be that you're getting paid hourly for showings. That's sort of the point. If your working, you're racking earnings.

    Take again the recent realtor situation. If he had taken my $x,xxx minimum with $xxx per hour deal I offered and we had closed he was probably a little better off than his 1/2 commission (with no minimum hourly rate) because the inspection stuff was a rare mess (requiring more of his time). Also if he had the hourly rate I would have rolled into the next one I bid on (and he'd likely have all or almost all of the commission), but he seems particularly sour grapes about this last one not going through at all.

    In a nutshell he shot himself in the foot by not just going with what I suggested. Then I get the extra baggage of getting bad advice and also supposed to feel bad that I had to walk away from it after his efforts.

  • Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 10 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Rick Albert:

    @Jon D.

    That’s because I thought is a Realtors only job is to get an offer accepted. A decent realtor will also know how to negotiate based off inspections, etc. I just negotiated a $35,000 credit towards closing costs on a big deal for my buyers. Other clients I’ve been able to negotiate price reductions, repairs, etc. If this is something you think you can do on your own, then go for it. I have not had a chance to work with Zillow properties yet but whether they admit it or not they are desperate to sell. There may be an opportunity to renegotiate once under contract.

    Negotiating off of an inspection is not rocket science and I feel like most closing cost credits are standard negotiation items (I mean our markets standard purchase agreement has a box for it and everyone expects to see 3% on initial offer). And maybe you do something that most realtors do, but again how would any buyer looking to retain an agent know that? My assumption until someone proves me wrong is that you get the inspection, you get a very rough estimate on what those things will cost, then you submit a revised offer justifying the revised price, and a new back and forth ensues.


    I have a few clients who are realtors. They're actually honest with me with how their business actually works today. 1 of them who is over 70 years old admits she does almost no work (between Showingtime, an assistant her brokerage house provides, she doesn't show up at closings, etc.) and also admits because its practically no work she'll do it until she passes away. Not that is probably on 1 extreme, but still.

    Here's a question for you... in typical buyers agent representation in a market like this (with constant multiple offer situations), what percentage of your time would you say is showings and bids vs. post acceptance? My guess is that 80%+ of your time is showings (if you actually do showings yourself and don't pawn it off on a staffer). So the business is tough right now because of this time spent on showings with constant unaccepted bids. 

    Again while I'll say that the direction I'm thinking for a professional investor makes sense. If I need a showing I'll pay for it and if I keep going into bidding wars, I'll pay for it and if I burn enough time I'll owe more than the entire buyers commission would have paid, but at least I won't have someone who is pissy and moany every time I ask for something or makes a killing on 4 hours of work (when I did all of the heavy lifting).

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 48 votes
    4y

    Just to clarify...when we work by the hour we charge for all of our time, including driving and showing and talking on the phone.

  • Realtor · TX · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 12 votes
    4y

    I have worked in every Texas Metroplex and small town: Brenham (F&R), Houston, Dallas, Austin, Lubbock, and now Galveston. Our vacation market is too hot and if other agents are discounting it's either because of astounding volume by said client or they are new. 

    I try to keep a running average of how much I save clients at the end of every transaction. $15,000 is rough average after negotiations and correct pricing on houses.

    To be paid hourly here would be a loss and it just wouldn't make sense. I could see this working in smaller markets but it would be case by case.

  • Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 10 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Gary Lucido:

    Just to clarify...when we work by the hour we charge for all of our time, including driving and showing and talking on the phone.

    I'd assume that. No free lunch.


    Either you pay someone for every minute they're working or you have to pay them an even higher rate if certain time isn't included.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 48 votes
    4y

    @Peyton Leal, how do you know it would be a loss without a discussion of what your hourly rate would be?

  • Member since 2019 · 30 posts · 10 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Gary Lucido:

    @Peyton Leal, how do you know it would be a loss without a discussion of what your hourly rate would be?

    ^^^^
    Exactly

    You telling me that you'd turn down an $800 an hour deal?
    How many tire kicking "buyers" have you taken on as "clients" that haven't over the last 2 years who still haven't purchased despite many showings?

  • Realtor · TX · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Gary Lucido:

    @Peyton Leal, how do you know it would be a loss without a discussion of what your hourly rate would be?

    *All theoretical time 
    $1.2M beach house, 3%, $36,000 commission.

    168 hrs (1 week of solid work throughout transaction) is $192.86/hr. I can easily spend less time on a property to meet clients expectations, so the cost/hr would skyrocket.
    If someone wants to pay $375/hr (96) or $750/hr (48), maybe sign me up! 

    The realtor would then want a guaranteed number of hours, then it becomes an argument and battle when you could have a cash cow STR.

  • Realtor · TX · Member since 2018 · 35 posts · 12 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jon D.:
    Originally posted by @Gary Lucido:

    @Peyton Leal, how do you know it would be a loss without a discussion of what your hourly rate would be?

    ^^^^
    Exactly

    You telling me that you'd turn down an $800 an hour deal?
    How many tire kicking "buyers" have you taken on as "clients" that haven't over the last 2 years who still haven't purchased despite many showings?

    If anyone were to pay $800/hr (contracted) I'd get licensed in their state and be their personal on-call Realtor. Don't see that catching on though  

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    4y

    Just get your own license if want that. For finding a good realtor look on BP. I always answer clients within the hour and am super aggressive with getting deals contingent. So it ends up being worth it for clients to pay the full commision, I even have some licensed agents who use me (they work full time and just have license for buying). I do not work with low ballers though and cut clients who waste my time off fast. It's a business and no one good wants to waste time or work for cheap hourly rates.

  • Jonathan BombaciBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Lowell, MA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y

    @Jon D. first off most agents work for brokerages and have commission splits like 70/30 meaning 30% of the commissIon goes to the broker. They really do not have a legal framework to agree to what you’re asking for because the broker calls the shots and the broker will still want their share of the total commission at closing to cover their expenses. In addition Agents at most brokerages are 1099 contractors, if a broker agrees to pay an agent an hourly wage for services rendered, the broker could then become subject to labor law issues. In MA hourly pay is one of the tiggers for needing to make someone a W2 employee. Labor law fines are not cheap. 

    So don’t bother negotiating with agents, for what you’re asking you’d have to be negotiating with the broker. If you plan to do less than 10-20 transaction per year I doubt ANY broker, even the less successful ones, would risk their business model and expose themself to legal and liability issues, which could be significant, for 1 client. The successful brokers will get this and they’re not going to set a bad precedent to satisfy 1 client regardless of how many transactions that client intends to do in a year. 


    If you do find someone willing to do this, if this isn’t their model for everyone they work with, then I would question their motives and you should expect to get what you pay for. 

    Another example of why this would be an awful idea for anyone that treats real estate as a business is because it will inherently create a conflict of interest for the business owner. Do You think they will bring you off-market or pre-market deals where they could collect the full commission from another buyer? They’ll certainly be motivated to bring it to someone else first, which makes sense from every angle, but you’re paying them a hourly retainer which creates a significant conflict of interest for the brokerage and the agents. One such that if blows up could have very negative results. 

    If you’re just looking for an agent to submit offers for you then do what the bigger investors and wholesalers do and hire a transaction coordinator or administrator with a real estate license as a W2 employee. You will have to go get your brokerage license or negotiate a deal with a broker so your employee can operate as a licensed agent. Then pay your employee an annual salary and still pay the broker a % of the commission or transaction fee at closing, but it’ll be closer to what you’re asking for. 

    I know this is a lot, and probably not the answer you’re looking for but I hope it helps. 

    Best,

    Jon

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 48 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Peyton Leal:
    Originally posted by @Gary Lucido:

    @Peyton Leal, how do you know it would be a loss without a discussion of what your hourly rate would be?

    *All theoretical time 
    $1.2M beach house, 3%, $36,000 commission.

    168 hrs (1 week of solid work throughout transaction) is $192.86/hr. I can easily spend less time on a property to meet clients expectations, so the cost/hr would skyrocket.
    If someone wants to pay $375/hr (96) or $750/hr (48), maybe sign me up! 

    The realtor would then want a guaranteed number of hours, then it becomes an argument and battle when you could have a cash cow STR.

    $200/ hour is not a bad reference point but, as someone else pointed out earlier, you also have to factor in all the time spent on deals that didn't close. The best metric is to look at how much you make in a year and estimate the hours worked in a year. What does that average out to? If you're really worth that someone should be willing to pay you that much.

    What ends up happening is that clients stop wasting agents' time when they pay by the hour.

  • Real Estate Agent · Chicago, IL · Member since 2017 · 53 posts · 48 votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Bombaci:

    @Jon D. first off most agents work for brokerages and have commission splits like 70/30 meaning 30% of the commissIon goes to the broker. They really do not have a legal framework to agree to what you’re asking for because the broker calls the shots and the broker will still want their share of the total commission at closing to cover their expenses. In addition Agents at most brokerages are 1099 contractors, if a broker agrees to pay an agent an hourly wage for services rendered, the broker could then become subject to labor law issues. In MA hourly pay is one of the tiggers for needing to make someone a W2 employee. Labor law fines are not cheap. 

    So don’t bother negotiating with agents, for what you’re asking you’d have to be negotiating with the broker. If you plan to do less than 10-20 transaction per year I doubt ANY broker, even the less successful ones, would risk their business model and expose themself to legal and liability issues, which could be significant, for 1 client. The successful brokers will get this and they’re not going to set a bad precedent to satisfy 1 client regardless of how many transactions that client intends to do in a year. 


    If you do find someone willing to do this, if this isn’t their model for everyone they work with, then I would question their motives and you should expect to get what you pay for. 

    Another example of why this would be an awful idea for anyone that treats real estate as a business is because it will inherently create a conflict of interest for the business owner. Do You think they will bring you off-market or pre-market deals where they could collect the full commission from another buyer? They’ll certainly be motivated to bring it to someone else first, which makes sense from every angle, but you’re paying them a hourly retainer which creates a significant conflict of interest for the brokerage and the agents. One such that if blows up could have very negative results. 

    If you’re just looking for an agent to submit offers for you then do what the bigger investors and wholesalers do and hire a transaction coordinator or administrator with a real estate license as a W2 employee. You will have to go get your brokerage license or negotiate a deal with a broker so your employee can operate as a licensed agent. Then pay your employee an annual salary and still pay the broker a % of the commission or transaction fee at closing, but it’ll be closer to what you’re asking for. 

    I know this is a lot, and probably not the answer you’re looking for but I hope it helps. 

    Best,

    Jon

    Good points. The only way I'm able to do this is that 1) I have my own brokerage and 2) hourly is a small percentage of our business and 3) I do some of this myself and I'm W2. As long as you keep it small enough you don't get into the W2 issue. 

    But as far as off market deals are concerned. Fair point from a buyer's perspective but sellers shouldn't use a broker that is shopping their property to favorite buyers without putting it out for everyone to bid on.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Russell Brazil:

    Sounds like you are asking for top notch service from a discount professional. 

    The really good agents are not out there looking for an hourly pay or to do rebates....the top ones have so many people begging to work for them that they have way more business than they can handle.

    All real estate agents are not created equal, and Im by no means saying all full priced ones are good....but definitely the good ones are not discounting because they have no need to. 

     its just like good lawyers and CPA etc..  some lawyers are only 200 a an hour some are 700 an hour some 1k or more.. ONe of my neighbors and this is in the 90s was a top CPA who charged 750 an hour 25 years ago.. you get what U pay for.

    50 to 100 an hour for any broker who is doing any business is simply a non starter.. I guess it works in markets where your selling a lot of low value assets IE 50k to 150k were commissions at 3 to 6% are very low to begin with.. I would think this type of arrangement would be good to a beginner who needs income or retired realtor who is doing it part time but is already retired and has retirement income..  Lots of those around. 

    top agents top producers if you looked at their hourly wage into a deal especially commercial assets with investors the break down would be 5 to 10X  100 an hour.. Plus how you do you know they worked that many hours unless your standing there with them. 

    ONe reason sticking it out and becoming a top producing agent is such a great business is that once you are established and in todays market where your not hauling buyers around in your car the time into transactions is far less than it used to be. 

    Although from an agents perspective if they had enough business and could bill out 4 to 6 hours a day 5 days a week at 100 an hour  and the buyers or sellers actually paid them when billed I could see that working but thats not how the industry is configured. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Rick Albert:

    @Jon D.

    That’s because I thought is a Realtors only job is to get an offer accepted. A decent realtor will also know how to negotiate based off inspections, etc. I just negotiated a $35,000 credit towards closing costs on a big deal for my buyers. Other clients I’ve been able to negotiate price reductions, repairs, etc. If this is something you think you can do on your own, then go for it. I have not had a chance to work with Zillow properties yet but whether they admit it or not they are desperate to sell. There may be an opportunity to renegotiate once under contract.

    my wife is really good at this.  last summer she sold what is a very expensive home in in Oregon  got all sorts of fix up concessions and got the seller to throw in a 180k BMW 7 series with 3k miles on it  .   A good agent in this markets job is to get U into contract so that you can then negotiate on fix up items does not always work but most of the time it does.  Just have to watch your DD time lines closly. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Jon D.:
    Originally posted by @Rick Albert:

    @Jon D.

    That’s because I thought is a Realtors only job is to get an offer accepted. A decent realtor will also know how to negotiate based off inspections, etc. I just negotiated a $35,000 credit towards closing costs on a big deal for my buyers. Other clients I’ve been able to negotiate price reductions, repairs, etc. If this is something you think you can do on your own, then go for it. I have not had a chance to work with Zillow properties yet but whether they admit it or not they are desperate to sell. There may be an opportunity to renegotiate once under contract.

    Negotiating off of an inspection is not rocket science and I feel like most closing cost credits are standard negotiation items (I mean our markets standard purchase agreement has a box for it and everyone expects to see 3% on initial offer). And maybe you do something that most realtors do, but again how would any buyer looking to retain an agent know that? My assumption until someone proves me wrong is that you get the inspection, you get a very rough estimate on what those things will cost, then you submit a revised offer justifying the revised price, and a new back and forth ensues.


    I have a few clients who are realtors. They're actually honest with me with how their business actually works today. 1 of them who is over 70 years old admits she does almost no work (between Showingtime, an assistant her brokerage house provides, she doesn't show up at closings, etc.) and also admits because its practically no work she'll do it until she passes away. Not that is probably on 1 extreme, but still.

    Here's a question for you... in typical buyers agent representation in a market like this (with constant multiple offer situations), what percentage of your time would you say is showings and bids vs. post acceptance? My guess is that 80%+ of your time is showings (if you actually do showings yourself and don't pawn it off on a staffer). So the business is tough right now because of this time spent on showings with constant unaccepted bids. 

    Again while I'll say that the direction I'm thinking for a professional investor makes sense. If I need a showing I'll pay for it and if I keep going into bidding wars, I'll pay for it and if I burn enough time I'll owe more than the entire buyers commission would have paid, but at least I won't have someone who is pissy and moany every time I ask for something or makes a killing on 4 hours of work (when I did all of the heavy lifting).

    sounds like you should get your own license and MLS lock box cost you a few grand a year if your doing any volume thats what i would do.

    if this thread is about buying one or two homes a year well then you would have to think on it.

    also not sure about MN  but NON licensed assistants cannot fill out forms  cannot let clients into homes..  Agents give appraisers and home inspectors one day lock box codes IF the seller will allow it.. 

    And for sure todays buyers are NOT hauled around in cars anymore.. 90% of props are found on line buyers do their own driveby and once they narrow it down will call their agent for a viewing ( retail buyers)  

  • Jonathan BombaciBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Lowell, MA · Member since 2019 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    4y
    Originally posted by @Gary Lucido:
    Originally posted by @Jonathan Bombaci:

    @Jon D. first off most agents work for brokerages and have commission splits like 70/30 meaning 30% of the commissIon goes to the broker. They really do not have a legal framework to agree to what you’re asking for because the broker calls the shots and the broker will still want their share of the total commission at closing to cover their expenses. In addition Agents at most brokerages are 1099 contractors, if a broker agrees to pay an agent an hourly wage for services rendered, the broker could then become subject to labor law issues. In MA hourly pay is one of the tiggers for needing to make someone a W2 employee. Labor law fines are not cheap. 

    So don’t bother negotiating with agents, for what you’re asking you’d have to be negotiating with the broker. If you plan to do less than 10-20 transaction per year I doubt ANY broker, even the less successful ones, would risk their business model and expose themself to legal and liability issues, which could be significant, for 1 client. The successful brokers will get this and they’re not going to set a bad precedent to satisfy 1 client regardless of how many transactions that client intends to do in a year. 


    If you do find someone willing to do this, if this isn’t their model for everyone they work with, then I would question their motives and you should expect to get what you pay for. 

    Another example of why this would be an awful idea for anyone that treats real estate as a business is because it will inherently create a conflict of interest for the business owner. Do You think they will bring you off-market or pre-market deals where they could collect the full commission from another buyer? They’ll certainly be motivated to bring it to someone else first, which makes sense from every angle, but you’re paying them a hourly retainer which creates a significant conflict of interest for the brokerage and the agents. One such that if blows up could have very negative results. 

    If you’re just looking for an agent to submit offers for you then do what the bigger investors and wholesalers do and hire a transaction coordinator or administrator with a real estate license as a W2 employee. You will have to go get your brokerage license or negotiate a deal with a broker so your employee can operate as a licensed agent. Then pay your employee an annual salary and still pay the broker a % of the commission or transaction fee at closing, but it’ll be closer to what you’re asking for. 

    I know this is a lot, and probably not the answer you’re looking for but I hope it helps. 

    Best,

    Jon

    Good points. The only way I'm able to do this is that 1) I have my own brokerage and 2) hourly is a small percentage of our business and 3) I do some of this myself and I'm W2. As long as you keep it small enough you don't get into the W2 issue. 

    But as far as off market deals are concerned. Fair point from a buyer's perspective but sellers shouldn't use a broker that is shopping their property to favorite buyers without putting it out for everyone to bid on.

    Off-markets are often shopped quietly because the owner doesn’t want tenants or neighbors to know. Many times it’s in the sellers best interest to have a quite sale and it’s what they ask for, especially on larger buildings. In these scenarios We typically can only get 1-3 buyers through properties like this before “the gig is up”. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.