Getting an inspection or inspector referral for a potential property?

Getting an inspection or inspector referral for a potential property?

Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes

Hi, so I always thought that the realtor I will work with can gather the network I need once an offer is accepted.  But, I've been reading that it's best to find my own inspector to inspect a potential property I want to buy.  Because perhaps an realtor may use an inspector that will gloss over things just to close the deal?  What advice or inspector referrals can someone on this forum provide me ? I'm a newbie of course.  I would need a good home inspector to use for a potential purchase in the palm beach county, FL area. Thanks in advance

1Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Agent · Ft. Lauderdale & Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 63 votes
3y

Hi Ramona,

Great work on doing your own research about the steps on purchasing a home! I'm a realtor and own 3 STR houses here in FT Lauderdale. I've used other people's referrals and have looked on my own too and now I got to a point where I trust the inspector I have and he does an incredible job. It's not necessarily true that a realtor will have an inspector help "hide" problems with the house to close. That's against our practice as realtors and inspectors and could get them in real trouble.

I do the opposite, the inspector works as part of our team and is trying as hard as he can to find something "wrong" with the property where I as the professional can negotiate and get seller's credit for my buyers for example...

If you trust your realtor, he/she becomes your ally, a professional fighter for you, focusing on YOUR best interest. That's why having a buyer's agent representing you is essential. We have the inside out information and knowledge to attack any situation with professionalism in your best interest for the best results for you.

Doing your own research on inspectors as the buyer is healthy too and makes you as the buyer informed of what inspectors offer and their pricing. 

I always encourage knowledge - Knowledge is power!

See this reply in the discussion

24 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Lender · Fort Lauderdale, FL (Lending in FL CT GA MI PA) · Member since 2022 · 470 posts · 349 votes
    3y

    I don't have one for you, but good idea looking for additional referrals. The one your realtor recommends could be great, or not so great, so it's wise to talk to a few and find one you trust. 

  • Residential Real Estate Broker · Noblesville, IN · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 27 votes
    3y

    Hi Ramona, and congrats on getting your first investment property! It is always a good idea to seek multiple referrals for most aspects of a purchase, not just the inspection but financing, property insurance, etc. I did want to let you know that I, as a full-time Realtor, typically provide my buyers with contact info for 3-4 reputable inspection companies that clients of mine have been happy with in the past. When I have an inspection come in that I feel is lacking in detail or the inspector was not a good communicator with my buyer, they will be taken off my list. As a professional, part of my job is to protect my buyers as much as possible, so I try to only recommend highly thorough and experienced inspection companies, and ones that I know have insurance policies in place if something is missed. Bottom line: I would encourage you to not reject your Realtors recommendations outright, as those inspection companies likely have a respected track record and a reputation for being through and detailed. Hope this helps!

  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ash Hegde:

    I don't have one for you, but good idea looking for additional referrals. The one your realtor recommends could be great, or not so great, so it's wise to talk to a few and find one you trust. 


     Thanks for the tip Ash!

  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Sandy Thomas:

    Hi Ramona, and congrats on getting your first investment property! It is always a good idea to seek multiple referrals for most aspects of a purchase, not just the inspection but financing, property insurance, etc. I did want to let you know that I, as a full-time Realtor, typically provide my buyers with contact info for 3-4 reputable inspection companies that clients of mine have been happy with in the past. When I have an inspection come in that I feel is lacking in detail or the inspector was not a good communicator with my buyer, they will be taken off my list. As a professional, part of my job is to protect my buyers as much as possible, so I try to only recommend highly thorough and experienced inspection companies, and ones that I know have insurance policies in place if something is missed. Bottom line: I would encourage you to not reject your Realtors recommendations outright, as those inspection companies likely have a respected track record and a reputation for being through and detailed. Hope this helps!

    Hi Sandy, thanks for the guidance, I sincerely appreciate it.  There is so much to learn.  I haven't bought a property YET, BUT I'm trying really hard to submit offers below asking at an offer price where I know the numbers would work.  Unfortunately, a lot of sellers still asking "wish" pricing and hardly nothing cash flows or even covers all expenses, down here in South Florida.  Even in rougher parts of the city, numbers don't work, given the rise in mortgage rates. It's nuts. Uggh...my search continues.
  • Real Estate Agent · Fort Pierce, FL · Member since 2022 · 44 posts · 11 votes
    3y

    I have an inspector that I use and is great. I will PM you his information. I agree with @Ash Hegde though. I always look for a second opinion and find someone who I can trust. Networking out with more realtors and investors in your area would help. 

    Good Luck!

  • China, ME · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    @Ramona Huot I'm no longer a practicing Realtor, but I had a coupe of go-to inspectors.  I used them because they would prioritize me when it came to scheduling, but would do a very thorough inspection.

    If an inspector glossed things over it would put my reputation at risk and that's the single most important thing you have in any business.  No one deal is worth ruining a reputation that I've worked years to build.

  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Jake Browning:

    I have an inspector that I use and is great. I will PM you his information. I agree with @Ash Hegde though. I always look for a second opinion and find someone who I can trust. Networking out with more realtors and investors in your area would help. 

    Good Luck!

    Thank you Jake, advice taken.  Golden!

  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Charlie MacPherson:

    @Ramona Huot I'm no longer a practicing Realtor, but I had a coupe of go-to inspectors.  I used them because they would prioritize me when it came to scheduling, but would do a very thorough inspection.

    If an inspector glossed things over it would put my reputation at risk and that's the single most important thing you have in any business.  No one deal is worth ruining a reputation that I've worked years to build.


     Initially, that was my thought.  Reputation is everything. But, I've had two different people, one professional acquaintance and the other is a family member, plus others in an investment forum I belong to, saying to be selective with the inspector. Since I'm looking at an duplex built in 1971.  So it's an older construction.  And to make sure I get plumbing, electrical, sewer lines checked or if it has a drain field or what not. Check the age of these, etc etc. INSPECTOR LANGUAGE. So I'm following others' experience I guess.  So thanks Charlie. I appreciate your angle on this.  Learning all the way over here :)

  • Raymond J. RodriguesBusiness Member
    Lender · Miami, FL · Member since 2017 · 1k+ posts · 797 votes
    3y

    Hi @Ramona Huot. I am local to the South Florida area of Fort Lauderdale and work with one particularly very good inspector that I recommend to everyone and for even my own personal purchases. PM me and I'll be happy to share his contact info! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Ft. Lauderdale & Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 46 posts · 63 votes
    3y

    Hi Ramona,

    Great work on doing your own research about the steps on purchasing a home! I'm a realtor and own 3 STR houses here in FT Lauderdale. I've used other people's referrals and have looked on my own too and now I got to a point where I trust the inspector I have and he does an incredible job. It's not necessarily true that a realtor will have an inspector help "hide" problems with the house to close. That's against our practice as realtors and inspectors and could get them in real trouble.

    I do the opposite, the inspector works as part of our team and is trying as hard as he can to find something "wrong" with the property where I as the professional can negotiate and get seller's credit for my buyers for example...

    If you trust your realtor, he/she becomes your ally, a professional fighter for you, focusing on YOUR best interest. That's why having a buyer's agent representing you is essential. We have the inside out information and knowledge to attack any situation with professionalism in your best interest for the best results for you.

    Doing your own research on inspectors as the buyer is healthy too and makes you as the buyer informed of what inspectors offer and their pricing. 

    I always encourage knowledge - Knowledge is power!

  • Real Estate Agent · South Florida · Member since 2022 · 85 posts · 42 votes
    3y

    Hey @Ramona Huot you should be able to trust your realtor will do right by you always. I have a great inspector if you need their information message me and I can send it over. Best of luck with the purchase!!

  • Realtor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2020 · 55 posts · 27 votes
    3y

    I took a realtor's recommendation on my first STR purchase and he was unfortunately terrible. We were able to get past it and resolve the issues but I would definitely consider researching someone independently yourself.

    Most realtors however have great inspectors as they work with them often and need a reliable inspector as part of their team. I am in Palm Beach County as well so feel free to reach out if you have any questions or would like a recommendation. 

  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    3y

    I used to do Home Inspections and found that almost all Realtors would offer a referral or two. They never used inspectors to gloss over problems...that just creates all kinds of issues (including legal ones) down the road. A really great and honest inspector will save everyone time and money. Not saying you can't go find your own, but that's really a crapshoot. Why not use one that your realtor has used before and trusts? You trust your Realtor, right?

  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

    I used to do Home Inspections and found that almost all Realtors would offer a referral or two. They never used inspectors to gloss over problems...that just creates all kinds of issues (including legal ones) down the road. A really great and honest inspector will save everyone time and money. Not saying you can't go find your own, but that's really a crapshoot. Why not use one that your realtor has used before and trusts? You trust your Realtor, right?


     Hi Bruce, thank you for the advice.  Honestly, I'm working with a realtor for the FIRST time so, I don't trust entirely, yet.  Once, I've gone thru the whole process successfully, I trust  it will build I'm certain.  Thanks your advice is well received :)

  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Clay Asplundh:

    I took a realtor's recommendation on my first STR purchase and he was unfortunately terrible. We were able to get past it and resolve the issues but I would definitely consider researching someone independently yourself.

    Most realtors however have great inspectors as they work with them often and need a reliable inspector as part of their team. I am in Palm Beach County as well so feel free to reach out if you have any questions or would like a recommendation. 


     Hi Clay, nice to chat!  Glad to hear you are local and we can connect.  Definitely will keep in touch and thank you for offering a recommendation.  Have a lovely Wednesday!

  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Isabela Faria-Newell:

    Hi Ramona,

    Great work on doing your own research about the steps on purchasing a home! I'm a realtor and own 3 STR houses here in FT Lauderdale. I've used other people's referrals and have looked on my own too and now I got to a point where I trust the inspector I have and he does an incredible job. It's not necessarily true that a realtor will have an inspector help "hide" problems with the house to close. That's against our practice as realtors and inspectors and could get them in real trouble.

    I do the opposite, the inspector works as part of our team and is trying as hard as he can to find something "wrong" with the property where I as the professional can negotiate and get seller's credit for my buyers for example...

    If you trust your realtor, he/she becomes your ally, a professional fighter for you, focusing on YOUR best interest. That's why having a buyer's agent representing you is essential. We have the inside out information and knowledge to attack any situation with professionalism in your best interest for the best results for you.

    Doing your own research on inspectors as the buyer is healthy too and makes you as the buyer informed of what inspectors offer and their pricing. 

    I always encourage knowledge - Knowledge is power!


  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Hi Isabela, good morning!

    Thank you. I'm not sure how the whole process works yet. So, I appreciate that you shared your experience with this. Nothing substitutes "experience".  But reading, asking and curiosity paves the path to learning, plus making some mistakes along the way, too, hopefully not "big" ones, lol. Learning how the pieces to an offer/purchase, fit together can feel daunting.

    Thanks I will hope to keep in touch and perhaps we can connect!

    Have a beautiful day :)

  • Realtor · West Palm Beach, FL · Member since 2020 · 55 posts · 27 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ramona Huot:
    Quote from @Clay Asplundh:

    I took a realtor's recommendation on my first STR purchase and he was unfortunately terrible. We were able to get past it and resolve the issues but I would definitely consider researching someone independently yourself.

    Most realtors however have great inspectors as they work with them often and need a reliable inspector as part of their team. I am in Palm Beach County as well so feel free to reach out if you have any questions or would like a recommendation. 


     Hi Clay, nice to chat!  Glad to hear you are local and we can connect.  Definitely will keep in touch and thank you for offering a recommendation.  Have a lovely Wednesday!


     Sounds great!

  • Investor · Fort Lauderdale, FL · Member since 2020 · 1k+ posts · 755 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ramona Huot:

    Hi, so I always thought that the realtor I will work with can gather the network I need once an offer is accepted.  But, I've been reading that it's best to find my own inspector to inspect a potential property I want to buy.  Because perhaps an realtor may use an inspector that will gloss over things just to close the deal?  What advice or inspector referrals can someone on this forum provide me ? I'm a newbie of course.  I would need a good home inspector to use for a potential purchase in the palm beach county, FL area. Thanks in advance


     I would generally advise going with someone independent not connected to your realtor...someone who doesn't care whether the house gets bought or not as they are paid either way. That being said, a good realtor will have a good network of honest people. 

    Last year, I met a guy from BP who lives in Texas but was buying a home in south FL for his son. He trusted me with my inspector ( I have used this guy many times as I am also an investor) and even though the house had some problems, he still went ahead with the purchase. So what's the point?... whether through your realtor or not, make sure the inspector is honest and actually cares about doing his/her job 100% correctly.

  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ray Hage:
    Quote from @Ramona Huot:

    Hi, so I always thought that the realtor I will work with can gather the network I need once an offer is accepted.  But, I've been reading that it's best to find my own inspector to inspect a potential property I want to buy.  Because perhaps an realtor may use an inspector that will gloss over things just to close the deal?  What advice or inspector referrals can someone on this forum provide me ? I'm a newbie of course.  I would need a good home inspector to use for a potential purchase in the palm beach county, FL area. Thanks in advance


     I would generally advise going with someone independent not connected to your realtor...someone who doesn't care whether the house gets bought or not as they are paid either way. That being said, a good realtor will have a good network of honest people. 

    Last year, I met a guy from BP who lives in Texas but was buying a home in south FL for his son. He trusted me with my inspector ( I have used this guy many times as I am also an investor) and even though the house had some problems, he still went ahead with the purchase. So what's the point?... whether through your realtor or not, make sure the inspector is honest and actually cares about doing his/her job 100% correctly.


  • Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2018 · 18 posts · 6 votes
    3y

    Thanks Ray!

  • Specialist · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 110 posts · 102 votes
    3y

    I like the idea of Trust but Verify. Your realtor probably has good reasons for making the recommendations they do, but maybe not. But you probably have a good realtor that has developed trust with the inspectors they recommend. I wouldn't worry too much about them glossing over just to close, as Florida requires home inspectors to carry a state-issued license so they would be risking a lot for a little, not to mention the breach of integrity. 

    In any case, a license is a usually a minimum standard, and so additional certifications (such as Certified Professional Inspector, or Certified Master Inspector) are above and beyond that you might want to look for.

    Where the real distinctions come though, is from specialties, if your purchase requires any. Some examples here in Ohio might include groundwater wells, septic systems, geothermal systems, radon testing, mold/lead/asbestos testing, wood destroying insects, sewer scoping, etc, all require specialist training and outside the scope of a "home inspection". Florida is probably a little different, and these are likely special use instances and outside of the norm, so just make sure you have a good idea of what you need to know to make the best decision for you.

  • Realtor · Dallas - Fort Worth Metroplex, TX · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 925 votes
    3y
    Quote from @Ramona Huot:
    Yes, a true professional will have their team and that is why it is best to interview Realtors before picking one to work with. We are here to make your life smoother in the transaction. However, I always require my do their own underwriting - they need to know what they are investing in and under the in's and out's of the asset.
    Best wishes,
  • Real Estate Agent · FL · Member since 2023 · 16 posts · 4 votes
    3y

    I always offer my clients 3 options. 1 company with all the technology and warranties. One guy middle of the road and 1 company that's very cheap and old school. I have used all 3 before. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.