Buying a Duplex With Very Little or No Cash Flow?

Most Popular Reply

Remington LymanBusiness Member
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
3y
Quote from @Luis Pedroza:

What are your thoughts on buying a duplex on an appreciating market with very little or no cash flow?


 I do that in A locations in Columbus, Ohio

You could still be building equity. Just losing cash flow. I am more concerned about my new worth vs cash flow on one property

See this reply in the discussion

14 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Realtor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2020 · 87 posts · 41 votes
    3y

    If you are pretty confident with the appreciating market specifically in duplex, and you can float it with enough cash reserve, I'd do it. Good luck! 

  • Real Estate Agent · Houston & Austin, TX · Member since 2022 · 84 posts · 32 votes
    3y

    I would be scared of anything with zero cash flow. Little cash flow is a different story but I'd highly advise against the risk of being too close to the red. Just today I found a triplex and duplex in Houston that I believe would cash flow. If you are interested I can send you that information just message me!

  • Investor · Austin, TX · Member since 2021 · 9k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    3y

    Not a fan at all. You should buy real estate with instant equity or cash flow. 

  • Lee HamptonPro Member
    Developer · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 94 posts · 105 votes
    3y

    If you are a novice investor in a normal (not California) market, I would advise against buying a duplex with no or negative cash flow. You are banking on appreciation which will eventually happen but what if it occurs after a period of depreciation. There is no such thing as an "appreciating market", there are just markets, period.  These markets go thru phases of appreciation, stagnation and depreciation.  Can you withstand a price drop and rental stagnation for 3 years. Pure appreciation plays are riskier. I’m not opposed to pure appreciation plays as I am a participant, but I have a cash flowing portfolio to mitigate the risk of my appreciation plays. As a new investor, it is important to get the first one right. Patience young grasshopper.  

  • Member since 2023 · 1 post · 0 votes
    3y

    For those who may concern. I'm a builder in Houston, Tx I have been building new houses for real state investment. If you are interested to build and grow I can help you. We grow as you grow. Blessings

  • Rental Property Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    3y

    I've bought deals without cash flow a few times, but there was a bigger goal in mind:

    1) Bought a triplex in a 'hot' area of Houston (77006) because it was a good sized corner lot and I own an apartment complex on the full block across the street.  So more of a land play

    2) I bought an old duplex in another hot area of town.  Huge corner lot (8,250 SF).  I got the property for a bit under the dirt value (paid about $80/sf, worth about 90/sf).  So I'll just sit on it's cash flow until I want to build on it or until a builder wants it

    3) I bought a vacant commercial building on a small 4,500 SF lot.  In another 'hot' area of town (midtown).  Reason being is one owner owns the whole block except for the small sliver I bought.  So at some point a dev will want to build on the whole block and will buy my piece out.  (I joke that I own the whole entire block except for the part owned by one other owner)

    4) I've bought various SFHs in my fav submarket of Houston even if they just break even (or slightly under) just because I like the area, believe in it's growth, and want as many homes in that area as possible (and am not bothered by negative cash flow as they're a rounding error when it comes to the portfolio)

  • Michael DiossaPro Member
    Investor · RI · Member since 2023 · 191 posts · 163 votes
    3y

    Firstly, it's important to understand that investing in real estate is a long-term game. While it's possible to make quick profits, real estate values can also fluctuate over time, and it's important to be prepared to hold onto a property for a while in order to maximize its potential return.

    Secondly, buying a property with very little or no cash flow means that you will likely have to rely on other sources of income to cover expenses such as property taxes, maintenance costs, and mortgage payments. It's important to make sure you have a solid plan for covering these expenses, as failing to do so could put you in financial trouble.

    Thirdly, investing in a duplex means that you will have two rental units, which could potentially increase your income in the long run. However, it's important to carefully consider the rental market in the area where the duplex is located and make sure that rental income will be sufficient to cover your expenses.

    It may be helpful to consult with a financial advisor or real estate professional to get a better understanding of the risks and potential rewards involved.

  • Rental Property Investor · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luis Pedroza:

    What are your thoughts on buying a duplex on an appreciating market with very little or no cash flow?

     It is not the kind of strategy I am going for although I know a lot of people that do that. One of my mentors does that. He will only buy a property in an A class neighborhood. Now he owns prime RE here in Columbus, Ohio.

  • Remington LymanBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luis Pedroza:

    What are your thoughts on buying a duplex on an appreciating market with very little or no cash flow?


     I do that in A locations in Columbus, Ohio

    You could still be building equity. Just losing cash flow. I am more concerned about my new worth vs cash flow on one property

  • Jimmy LieuBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2019 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luis Pedroza:

    What are your thoughts on buying a duplex on an appreciating market with very little or no cash flow?


    It depends on your real estate goals - if you already have sufficient income coming in and you can afford to lose a few hundred dollars a month but you're more focused on long term appreciation, then by all means you should focus on appreciation plays. If you don't have that income yet, then yes, you should focus on building your cash flow first.

  • Investor · Houston, TX · Member since 2020 · 111 posts · 64 votes
    3y

    Buying a duplex in an appreciating market with very little or no cash flow can be a good investment strategy if your primary goal is long-term capital appreciation. Here are a few things to consider:

    Pros:

    - Potential for long-term capital appreciation: By buying in an appreciating market, you may be able to benefit from property price appreciation over time, which can lead to a substantial return on investment if you hold onto the property long enough.

    - Opportunity to increase cash flow: Even if the property does not generate much cash flow initially, there may be opportunities to increase the rent over time, which could lead to greater cash flow in the future.

    - Tax benefits: Owning rental property can provide significant tax benefits, such as depreciation deductions, which can help offset any losses or expenses.

    Cons:

    - Limited short-term cash flow: If the property does not generate much cash flow initially, you may need to have other sources of income to cover expenses and any mortgage payments.

    - Risk of market downturn: While an appreciating market can provide the potential for significant returns, it also carries the risk of a market downturn, which could lead to a decline in property values.

    - Difficulty in selling: If you need to sell the property quickly, you may struggle to find a buyer if the property is not generating much cash flow.

    Ultimately, whether or not buying a duplex with little or no cash flow is a good investment strategy depends on your individual goals and circumstances. If you have the financial means to hold onto the property for the long-term and believe in the potential for appreciation, it may be a worthwhile investment. However, if you need short-term cash flow or are not comfortable with the risks associated with an appreciating market, you may want to consider other investment opportunities.

  • Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2023 · 161 posts · 217 votes
    3y

    @Luis Pedroza

    Some key take aways.. It depends on your goals. Do you rely on that income, or are you looking to build that wealth long term? If you are fine building that wealth in the long run, I think it is okay as long as you are cash flowing enough to cover all costs and to build a reserve. 

  • Alfath AhmedBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2022 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    3y
    Quote from @Luis Pedroza:

    What are your thoughts on buying a duplex on an appreciating market with very little or no cash flow?


     Luis, it really comes down to your investing strategey. With today's market it is very tough to cashflow in great locations. I would only buy a duplex/4-unit an be okay with losing money from the get-go if it is in an A-class location and I know that the property will appreciate enough for me to re-finance and get all of my money back within 2 years. 

  • Member since 2023 · 4 posts · 0 votes
    3y

    I’m interested 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.