Ok, I've got a tough one...need ideas.

Ok, I've got a tough one...need ideas.

Bruce WoodruffPro Member
Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes

Looking for some 'outside-the-box' ideas from you guys. Story: I was waiting until March to list a house for sale - a previous primary home, rural but really nice custom home, great neighborhood full of nice houses, incredible views, etc...

So a month ago, in moves a new neighbor, right across the street. And then in comes the junk....we're now at 20 cars, a bus, an RV or two, a tow truck, washers/dryers, and even an airplane fuselage...yes you read that right.

A bunch of us neighbors called the County of course and they sent out a Code Enforcement officer. The neighbor has 30 days to do something, and then another 30 days to do something else, and so on....eventually he will get $750 per day fines and a lien, but when? I'm considering seeing my County Supervisor, but will that just get in the way of the Code office?

I'm not even sure I should put the house on the market...a potential buyer will be turned off and either drive away or try to beat me down on price.....

Does anyone have any ideas I may not have thought of?

TIA

3Reply
163 views

Most Popular Reply

Russell BrazilBusiness Member
Moderator
Real Estate Agent · Washington, D.C. · Member since 2012 · 17k+ posts · 30k+ votes
2y
Quote from @Bruce Woodruff:

Looking for some 'outside-the-box' ideas from you guys. Story: I was waiting until March to list a house for sale - a previous primary home, rural but really nice custom home, great neighborhood full of nice houses, incredible views, etc...

So a month ago, in moves a new neighbor, right across the street. And then in comes the junk....we're now at 20 cars, a bus, an RV or two, a tow truck, washers/dryers, and even an airplane fuselage...yes you read that right.

A bunch of us neighbors called the County of course and they sent out a Code Enforcement officer. The neighbor has 30 days to do something, and then another 30 days to do something else, and so on....eventually he will get $750 per day fines and a lien, but when? I'm considering seeing my County Supervisor, but will that just get in the way of the Code office?

I'm not even sure I should put the house on the market...a potential buyer will be turned off and either drive away or try to beat me down on price.....

Does anyone have any ideas I may not have thought of?

TIA

How about putting something like this in front of his house.


See this reply in the discussion

58 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Bruce WoodruffPro Member
    OP
    Contractor/Investor/Consultant · San Diego / Phoenix · Member since 2021 · 12k+ posts · 15k+ votes
    2y

    I have not listed my house back on the MLS again yet. But i do have it on some 'horse property'/equine estates, kinda sites. Actually have a few (4) leads that seem to be really interested. I met one yesterday and they were so into the property itself and especially all of the horse possibilities, that they didn't even notice the junk yard.

    It is not very visible from the center or house, it is more driving up to the house and wandering around the property. So we'll see.....

  • Member since 2022 · 30 posts · 18 votes
    2y

    Absolutely put the house on the market. See what offers you get and if it's near your asking price.

    Your perception of "junk" might not be anyone else's perception. I've lived near myriad shifty people (at times doing illicit things) in Class D neighborhoods growing up. At least your "problem" has code enforcement. Imagine your property is in a hot bed of crime, failing schools, low pride of ownership, and poverty. Those are wwwwwaaayyy harder to fix. Every day your house isn't listed thats a day you forgo potentially getting your asking price. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Hollis, NH · Member since 2017 · 108 posts · 67 votes
    2y

    Bruce, looks like you are already taking steps in the direction that I was going to suggest. What is the value / saleability of the property with this neighbor? How much does it differ from if the neighbor was not there? If it's a really competitive market, or maybe in this rural area it's more common to have outdoor equipment, does it impact your ability to get a good price? Sounds like you listed it quietly on some websites and are getting some market feedback. I was going to suggest reaching out to some trusted realtors to get opinions as well. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.