Looking for some 'outside-the-box' ideas from you guys. Story: I was waiting until March to list a house for sale - a previous primary home, rural but really nice custom home, great neighborhood full of nice houses, incredible views, etc...
So a month ago, in moves a new neighbor, right across the street. And then in comes the junk....we're now at 20 cars, a bus, an RV or two, a tow truck, washers/dryers, and even an airplane fuselage...yes you read that right.
A bunch of us neighbors called the County of course and they sent out a Code Enforcement officer. The neighbor has 30 days to do something, and then another 30 days to do something else, and so on....eventually he will get $750 per day fines and a lien, but when? I'm considering seeing my County Supervisor, but will that just get in the way of the Code office?
I'm not even sure I should put the house on the market...a potential buyer will be turned off and either drive away or try to beat me down on price.....
Does anyone have any ideas I may not have thought of?
TIA
Looking for some 'outside-the-box' ideas from you guys. Story: I was waiting until March to list a house for sale - a previous primary home, rural but really nice custom home, great neighborhood full of nice houses, incredible views, etc...
So a month ago, in moves a new neighbor, right across the street. And then in comes the junk....we're now at 20 cars, a bus, an RV or two, a tow truck, washers/dryers, and even an airplane fuselage...yes you read that right.
A bunch of us neighbors called the County of course and they sent out a Code Enforcement officer. The neighbor has 30 days to do something, and then another 30 days to do something else, and so on....eventually he will get $750 per day fines and a lien, but when? I'm considering seeing my County Supervisor, but will that just get in the way of the Code office?
I'm not even sure I should put the house on the market...a potential buyer will be turned off and either drive away or try to beat me down on price.....
Does anyone have any ideas I may not have thought of?
TIA


Yep, that's what I'm going for as of now.....I'm wondering if I and neighbors should get a lawyer or if that's just overkill right now....
Looking for some 'outside-the-box' ideas from you guys. Story: I was waiting until March to list a house for sale - a previous primary home, rural but really nice custom home, great neighborhood full of nice houses, incredible views, etc...
So a month ago, in moves a new neighbor, right across the street. And then in comes the junk....we're now at 20 cars, a bus, an RV or two, a tow truck, washers/dryers, and even an airplane fuselage...yes you read that right.
A bunch of us neighbors called the County of course and they sent out a Code Enforcement officer. The neighbor has 30 days to do something, and then another 30 days to do something else, and so on....eventually he will get $750 per day fines and a lien, but when? I'm considering seeing my County Supervisor, but will that just get in the way of the Code office?
I'm not even sure I should put the house on the market...a potential buyer will be turned off and either drive away or try to beat me down on price.....
Does anyone have any ideas I may not have thought of?
TIA


Talk to him and tell him you need to sell the house and his "collection" will deter potential buyers. Buy a vacant piece of land close by and offer to store his stuff for free until the house sells.
Or make him an offer to buy it all from him right before you put the house of the market. Then get creative and get rid of it all.
I used to do landscaping and junk hauling for free for the neighboring houses when I was employed by some flippers doing renovations. I know the extra time and money sucks but it might save you in the end. Good luck!
@Russell Brazil Best idea yet..... :-)
Offer to put up a tall fence in front of his property.
Looking for some 'outside-the-box' ideas from you guys. Story: I was waiting until March to list a house for sale - a previous primary home, rural but really nice custom home, great neighborhood full of nice houses, incredible views, etc...
So a month ago, in moves a new neighbor, right across the street. And then in comes the junk....we're now at 20 cars, a bus, an RV or two, a tow truck, washers/dryers, and even an airplane fuselage...yes you read that right.
A bunch of us neighbors called the County of course and they sent out a Code Enforcement officer. The neighbor has 30 days to do something, and then another 30 days to do something else, and so on....eventually he will get $750 per day fines and a lien, but when? I'm considering seeing my County Supervisor, but will that just get in the way of the Code office?
I'm not even sure I should put the house on the market...a potential buyer will be turned off and either drive away or try to beat me down on price.....
Does anyone have any ideas I may not have thought of?
TIA
The petroleum products leaking in the ground may be the best way to get results. It seems to be the 1 thing folks can agree on. Hopefully you can get neighbors on board, that may accelerate the AHJ'S actions.
Sounds like the owner brought all of their treasures with them! Usually I would handle this by tactfully offering to help clean up their place - you know… run a few dump runs, do some weedwhackjng, etc… But unfortunately, if they brought these items with them, odds are they do not consider any of it trash.
1. I would first try a conversation and appeal to them from your perspective. I find this works about 50-60% of the time. How I approach them and the tone I use makes a big difference. They may be completely clueless, though it sounds like that is not the case with this one.
2.Contacting code enforcement is a good one but it can take a long time to work. There is a process for enforcing the standard and part of that process is the incredibly long timelines associated to them (for good and bad reasons).
3. On the more creative side, find out where they were living last. Chances are, if they bought the house across from you, they owned previously and you can look that up. Talk to their old neighbors and see if this was an issue before and ask how they handled it. Bottom line, you don’t know what you don’t know and there may be a silver bullet here that one of their previous neighbors already knows. This is a long shot but it just might be worth it.
Best of luck. Neighbors can be really hard to deal with but so can we. Hopefully, with some patience and creativity you can convince/encourage them to do the right thing and meet you in the middle.
3. On the more creative side, find out where they were living last. Chances are, if they bought the house across from you, they owned previously and you can look that up.
Their previous residence was a rental. They were evicted/thrown out for this same behavior. So it is a pattern.....
Absolutely! Love my LEO neighbors, firefighters too. They've really helped with horders, growers, labs etc.
3. On the more creative side, find out where they were living last. Chances are, if they bought the house across from you, they owned previously and you can look that up.
Their previous residence was a rental. They were evicted/thrown out for this same behavior. So it is a pattern.....
@Bruce Woodruff
That is a bad deal. Your best bet will be to work the process a slow as it is. I would reach out to your county supervisor like you mentioned, or maybe ask your LEO neighbors too as they may already have a relationship.
In my area (and in CA in general) you can do just about anything and get away with it. To include, stealing from businesses, sell drugs, etc... but what my area and CA is hard on is environmental violations. If you dump oil, gas, or anything like that on the ground they will slap you with fines and a possible stint in jail. Expose yourself in public or steal all the toothpaste out of Wallmart and nothing happens. Point said, try the environmental angle.
I feel your pain… I had to discount more than one property in the past due to trashy neighbors.😳
One property I was trying to sell the neighbor would turn up his music and walk around with his shirt off at all the wrong times when I was trying to show a potential buyer.
Another Property, the next-door neighbor had two Doberman pincher dogs that would come rushing up to the fence, barking and growling ferociously when we had a potential buyer.
I could list several more incidents.
Ok @Bruce Woodruff, everyone's gonna find out just how savage I can be, which I wouldn't normally share but you asked and it seems the most expedient and fitting the situation.
The standard court process for enforcement is notorious to take forever, and given the history I doubt anything will ever change with them. And worst case, they start to clean up, sort of clean up, just enough to stave off a few more months of actions but never enough to truly cure anything, and it's a cycle of pain for years.
Or......
I'd get an attorney ASAP who's on board with the following actions plan. File suite, possibly small claims suit. Same time get 3 BPO's specifying to detail price impact of neighbors situation, as in pre and post mess. Get appraisal if need be.
What matters in court isn't so much the amount, but winning, win the suit and get a judgement. yes the more $ the better but make sure to get a judgement.
Than, place a lien.
Day after place a lien, I'd file and start service for notice of foreclosure.
Yup, foreclose on em.
And, betting could get neighbors to back it all, possibly buy-in as JV partners on it if $ is an issue, whatever.
Foreclosure is your best bet to get things done in the most rapid manner.
Savage? Yup. But so is exactly what they are doing. They have 0 care of anyone else, they are conquerors, so yeah, I have 0 empathy for such persons. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
I would let city/county do what it does but in my experience.... well last one like this I saw was still not done yr7. So I would sue, get judgement, lien, foreclose.
**** In no way shape or form is this legal advice or agency, I am not an attorney just a guy saying what I would do and sharing experiences.
Ok @Bruce Woodruff, everyone's gonna find out just how savage I can be, which I wouldn't normally share but you asked and it seems the most expedient and fitting the situation.
The standard court process for enforcement is notorious to take forever, and given the history I doubt anything will ever change with them. And worst case, they start to clean up, sort of clean up, just enough to stave off a few more months of actions but never enough to truly cure anything, and it's a cycle of pain for years.
Or......
I'd get an attorney ASAP who's on board with the following actions plan. File suite, possibly small claims suit. Same time get 3 BPO's specifying to detail price impact of neighbors situation, as in pre and post mess. Get appraisal if need be.
What matters in court isn't so much the amount, but winning, win the suit and get a judgement. yes the more $ the better but make sure to get a judgement.
Than, place a lien.
Day after place a lien, I'd file and start service for notice of foreclosure.
Yup, foreclose on em.
And, betting could get neighbors to back it all, possibly buy-in as JV partners on it if $ is an issue, whatever.
Foreclosure is your best bet to get things done in the most rapid manner.
Savage? Yup. But so is exactly what they are doing. They have 0 care of anyone else, they are conquerors, so yeah, I have 0 empathy for such persons. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
I would let city/county do what it does but in my experience.... well last one like this I saw was still not done yr7. So I would sue, get judgement, lien, foreclose.
**** In no way shape or form is this legal advice or agency, I am not an attorney just a guy saying what I would do and sharing experiences.
Now.... let's say none of that is gonna work or it's too complex etc., or, ya just wanna take "Conan's" most direct path to VICTORY.
Ok....
I'd get the neighbors together, and get them on board as JV partners in this. Next step makes reason why obvious.
I'd contact the finance entity who holds the mortgage, and buy it from em!
Yup, buy it. Take a pic of the mess, send it with, and say "how much to buy this out". Buy the note.
I all but guarantee there is language in the mortgage of something for neglect whatever of property. And once buy it, then, take legal actions to foreclose or evict. Call note due demanding payment in full within ___ days for breach of contract etc etc.
Ok @Bruce Woodruff, everyone's gonna find out just how savage I can be, which I wouldn't normally share but you asked and it seems the most expedient and fitting the situation.
The standard court process for enforcement is notorious to take forever, and given the history I doubt anything will ever change with them. And worst case, they start to clean up, sort of clean up, just enough to stave off a few more months of actions but never enough to truly cure anything, and it's a cycle of pain for years.
Or......
I'd get an attorney ASAP who's on board with the following actions plan. File suite, possibly small claims suit. Same time get 3 BPO's specifying to detail price impact of neighbors situation, as in pre and post mess. Get appraisal if need be.
What matters in court isn't so much the amount, but winning, win the suit and get a judgement. yes the more $ the better but make sure to get a judgement.
Than, place a lien.
Day after place a lien, I'd file and start service for notice of foreclosure.
Yup, foreclose on em.
And, betting could get neighbors to back it all, possibly buy-in as JV partners on it if $ is an issue, whatever.
Foreclosure is your best bet to get things done in the most rapid manner.
Savage? Yup. But so is exactly what they are doing. They have 0 care of anyone else, they are conquerors, so yeah, I have 0 empathy for such persons. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
I would let city/county do what it does but in my experience.... well last one like this I saw was still not done yr7. So I would sue, get judgement, lien, foreclose.
**** In no way shape or form is this legal advice or agency, I am not an attorney just a guy saying what I would do and sharing experiences.
Now.... let's say none of that is gonna work or it's too complex etc., or, ya just wanna take "Conan's" most direct path to VICTORY.
Ok....
I'd get the neighbors together, and get them on board as JV partners in this. Next step makes reason why obvious.
I'd contact the finance entity who holds the mortgage, and buy it from em!
Yup, buy it. Take a pic of the mess, send it with, and say "how much to buy this out". Buy the note.
I all but guarantee there is language in the mortgage of something for neglect whatever of property. And once buy it, then, take legal actions to foreclose or evict. Call note due demanding payment in full within ___ days for breach of contract etc etc.
I had our attorney reach out to a mortgage company before and try to buy a particular note. They did not cooperate with selling us the note.
Ok @Bruce Woodruff, everyone's gonna find out just how savage I can be, which I wouldn't normally share but you asked and it seems the most expedient and fitting the situation.
The standard court process for enforcement is notorious to take forever, and given the history I doubt anything will ever change with them. And worst case, they start to clean up, sort of clean up, just enough to stave off a few more months of actions but never enough to truly cure anything, and it's a cycle of pain for years.
Or......
I'd get an attorney ASAP who's on board with the following actions plan. File suite, possibly small claims suit. Same time get 3 BPO's specifying to detail price impact of neighbors situation, as in pre and post mess. Get appraisal if need be.
What matters in court isn't so much the amount, but winning, win the suit and get a judgement. yes the more $ the better but make sure to get a judgement.
Than, place a lien.
Day after place a lien, I'd file and start service for notice of foreclosure.
Yup, foreclose on em.
And, betting could get neighbors to back it all, possibly buy-in as JV partners on it if $ is an issue, whatever.
Foreclosure is your best bet to get things done in the most rapid manner.
Savage? Yup. But so is exactly what they are doing. They have 0 care of anyone else, they are conquerors, so yeah, I have 0 empathy for such persons. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
I would let city/county do what it does but in my experience.... well last one like this I saw was still not done yr7. So I would sue, get judgement, lien, foreclose.
**** In no way shape or form is this legal advice or agency, I am not an attorney just a guy saying what I would do and sharing experiences.
Now.... let's say none of that is gonna work or it's too complex etc., or, ya just wanna take "Conan's" most direct path to VICTORY.
Ok....
I'd get the neighbors together, and get them on board as JV partners in this. Next step makes reason why obvious.
I'd contact the finance entity who holds the mortgage, and buy it from em!
Yup, buy it. Take a pic of the mess, send it with, and say "how much to buy this out". Buy the note.
I all but guarantee there is language in the mortgage of something for neglect whatever of property. And once buy it, then, take legal actions to foreclose or evict. Call note due demanding payment in full within ___ days for breach of contract etc etc.
Ok @Bruce Woodruff, everyone's gonna find out just how savage I can be, which I wouldn't normally share but you asked and it seems the most expedient and fitting the situation.
The standard court process for enforcement is notorious to take forever, and given the history I doubt anything will ever change with them. And worst case, they start to clean up, sort of clean up, just enough to stave off a few more months of actions but never enough to truly cure anything, and it's a cycle of pain for years.
Or......
I'd get an attorney ASAP who's on board with the following actions plan. File suite, possibly small claims suit. Same time get 3 BPO's specifying to detail price impact of neighbors situation, as in pre and post mess. Get appraisal if need be.
What matters in court isn't so much the amount, but winning, win the suit and get a judgement. yes the more $ the better but make sure to get a judgement.
Than, place a lien.
Day after place a lien, I'd file and start service for notice of foreclosure.
Yup, foreclose on em.
And, betting could get neighbors to back it all, possibly buy-in as JV partners on it if $ is an issue, whatever.
Foreclosure is your best bet to get things done in the most rapid manner.
Savage? Yup. But so is exactly what they are doing. They have 0 care of anyone else, they are conquerors, so yeah, I have 0 empathy for such persons. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
I would let city/county do what it does but in my experience.... well last one like this I saw was still not done yr7. So I would sue, get judgement, lien, foreclose.
**** In no way shape or form is this legal advice or agency, I am not an attorney just a guy saying what I would do and sharing experiences.
Now.... let's say none of that is gonna work or it's too complex etc., or, ya just wanna take "Conan's" most direct path to VICTORY.
Ok....
I'd get the neighbors together, and get them on board as JV partners in this. Next step makes reason why obvious.
I'd contact the finance entity who holds the mortgage, and buy it from em!
Yup, buy it. Take a pic of the mess, send it with, and say "how much to buy this out". Buy the note.
I all but guarantee there is language in the mortgage of something for neglect whatever of property. And once buy it, then, take legal actions to foreclose or evict. Call note due demanding payment in full within ___ days for breach of contract etc etc.
Brilliant ideas, my friend! I'm surprised I didn't think of small claims court, seeing as how I been there a couple dozen times in my construction career, always with great results. I will contact an attorney and see what they advise.. as you say it's not about the money it's about getting that judgment. Again brilliant and thank you!
Ok @Bruce Woodruff, everyone's gonna find out just how savage I can be, which I wouldn't normally share but you asked and it seems the most expedient and fitting the situation.
The standard court process for enforcement is notorious to take forever, and given the history I doubt anything will ever change with them. And worst case, they start to clean up, sort of clean up, just enough to stave off a few more months of actions but never enough to truly cure anything, and it's a cycle of pain for years.
Or......
I'd get an attorney ASAP who's on board with the following actions plan. File suite, possibly small claims suit. Same time get 3 BPO's specifying to detail price impact of neighbors situation, as in pre and post mess. Get appraisal if need be.
What matters in court isn't so much the amount, but winning, win the suit and get a judgement. yes the more $ the better but make sure to get a judgement.
Than, place a lien.
Day after place a lien, I'd file and start service for notice of foreclosure.
Yup, foreclose on em.
And, betting could get neighbors to back it all, possibly buy-in as JV partners on it if $ is an issue, whatever.
Foreclosure is your best bet to get things done in the most rapid manner.
Savage? Yup. But so is exactly what they are doing. They have 0 care of anyone else, they are conquerors, so yeah, I have 0 empathy for such persons. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
I would let city/county do what it does but in my experience.... well last one like this I saw was still not done yr7. So I would sue, get judgement, lien, foreclose.
**** In no way shape or form is this legal advice or agency, I am not an attorney just a guy saying what I would do and sharing experiences.
Now.... let's say none of that is gonna work or it's too complex etc., or, ya just wanna take "Conan's" most direct path to VICTORY.
Ok....
I'd get the neighbors together, and get them on board as JV partners in this. Next step makes reason why obvious.
I'd contact the finance entity who holds the mortgage, and buy it from em!
Yup, buy it. Take a pic of the mess, send it with, and say "how much to buy this out". Buy the note.
I all but guarantee there is language in the mortgage of something for neglect whatever of property. And once buy it, then, take legal actions to foreclose or evict. Call note due demanding payment in full within ___ days for breach of contract etc etc.
Brilliant ideas, my friend! I'm surprised I didn't think of small claims court, seeing as how I been there a couple dozen times in my construction career, always with great results. I will contact an attorney and see what they advise.. as you say it's not about the money it's about getting that judgment. Again brilliant and thank you!
Ok @Bruce Woodruff, everyone's gonna find out just how savage I can be, which I wouldn't normally share but you asked and it seems the most expedient and fitting the situation.
The standard court process for enforcement is notorious to take forever, and given the history I doubt anything will ever change with them. And worst case, they start to clean up, sort of clean up, just enough to stave off a few more months of actions but never enough to truly cure anything, and it's a cycle of pain for years.
Or......
I'd get an attorney ASAP who's on board with the following actions plan. File suite, possibly small claims suit. Same time get 3 BPO's specifying to detail price impact of neighbors situation, as in pre and post mess. Get appraisal if need be.
What matters in court isn't so much the amount, but winning, win the suit and get a judgement. yes the more $ the better but make sure to get a judgement.
Than, place a lien.
Day after place a lien, I'd file and start service for notice of foreclosure.
Yup, foreclose on em.
And, betting could get neighbors to back it all, possibly buy-in as JV partners on it if $ is an issue, whatever.
Foreclosure is your best bet to get things done in the most rapid manner.
Savage? Yup. But so is exactly what they are doing. They have 0 care of anyone else, they are conquerors, so yeah, I have 0 empathy for such persons. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
I would let city/county do what it does but in my experience.... well last one like this I saw was still not done yr7. So I would sue, get judgement, lien, foreclose.
**** In no way shape or form is this legal advice or agency, I am not an attorney just a guy saying what I would do and sharing experiences.
Now.... let's say none of that is gonna work or it's too complex etc., or, ya just wanna take "Conan's" most direct path to VICTORY.
Ok....
I'd get the neighbors together, and get them on board as JV partners in this. Next step makes reason why obvious.
I'd contact the finance entity who holds the mortgage, and buy it from em!
Yup, buy it. Take a pic of the mess, send it with, and say "how much to buy this out". Buy the note.
I all but guarantee there is language in the mortgage of something for neglect whatever of property. And once buy it, then, take legal actions to foreclose or evict. Call note due demanding payment in full within ___ days for breach of contract etc etc.
Brilliant ideas, my friend! I'm surprised I didn't think of small claims court, seeing as how I been there a couple dozen times in my construction career, always with great results. I will contact an attorney and see what they advise.. as you say it's not about the money it's about getting that judgment. Again brilliant and thank you!
Ok @Bruce Woodruff, everyone's gonna find out just how savage I can be, which I wouldn't normally share but you asked and it seems the most expedient and fitting the situation.
The standard court process for enforcement is notorious to take forever, and given the history I doubt anything will ever change with them. And worst case, they start to clean up, sort of clean up, just enough to stave off a few more months of actions but never enough to truly cure anything, and it's a cycle of pain for years.
Or......
I'd get an attorney ASAP who's on board with the following actions plan. File suite, possibly small claims suit. Same time get 3 BPO's specifying to detail price impact of neighbors situation, as in pre and post mess. Get appraisal if need be.
What matters in court isn't so much the amount, but winning, win the suit and get a judgement. yes the more $ the better but make sure to get a judgement.
Than, place a lien.
Day after place a lien, I'd file and start service for notice of foreclosure.
Yup, foreclose on em.
And, betting could get neighbors to back it all, possibly buy-in as JV partners on it if $ is an issue, whatever.
Foreclosure is your best bet to get things done in the most rapid manner.
Savage? Yup. But so is exactly what they are doing. They have 0 care of anyone else, they are conquerors, so yeah, I have 0 empathy for such persons. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
I would let city/county do what it does but in my experience.... well last one like this I saw was still not done yr7. So I would sue, get judgement, lien, foreclose.
**** In no way shape or form is this legal advice or agency, I am not an attorney just a guy saying what I would do and sharing experiences.
Now.... let's say none of that is gonna work or it's too complex etc., or, ya just wanna take "Conan's" most direct path to VICTORY.
Ok....
I'd get the neighbors together, and get them on board as JV partners in this. Next step makes reason why obvious.
I'd contact the finance entity who holds the mortgage, and buy it from em!
Yup, buy it. Take a pic of the mess, send it with, and say "how much to buy this out". Buy the note.
I all but guarantee there is language in the mortgage of something for neglect whatever of property. And once buy it, then, take legal actions to foreclose or evict. Call note due demanding payment in full within ___ days for breach of contract etc etc.
Brilliant ideas, my friend! I'm surprised I didn't think of small claims court, seeing as how I been there a couple dozen times in my construction career, always with great results. I will contact an attorney and see what they advise.. as you say it's not about the money it's about getting that judgment. Again brilliant and thank you!
That is a tough one. I'm sorry this happened Bruce. Once these people get a foothold they never leave. Everyone here has pretty much covered my ideas. I had this once, but it was only a ugly yard. So I mowed and kept their place looking nice until the deal was done. Wtf are you supposed to do with a fuselage? Tell him Boeing needs it for the 800Max and as a good citizen (that he is) he should donate it. Park a fake moving van (the bigger better) right in front of his place and tell people "I think" they're moving out.
Looking for some 'outside-the-box' ideas from you guys. Story: I was waiting until March to list a house for sale - a previous primary home, rural but really nice custom home, great neighborhood full of nice houses, incredible views, etc...
So a month ago, in moves a new neighbor, right across the street. And then in comes the junk....we're now at 20 cars, a bus, an RV or two, a tow truck, washers/dryers, and even an airplane fuselage...yes you read that right.
A bunch of us neighbors called the County of course and they sent out a Code Enforcement officer. The neighbor has 30 days to do something, and then another 30 days to do something else, and so on....eventually he will get $750 per day fines and a lien, but when? I'm considering seeing my County Supervisor, but will that just get in the way of the Code office?
I'm not even sure I should put the house on the market...a potential buyer will be turned off and either drive away or try to beat me down on price.....
Does anyone have any ideas I may not have thought of?
TIA


Great idea! I will definitely use it in a similar situation. Right behind our house, there is a bit of a junkyard with old cars and who knows what else scattered around. Dealing with those kinds of guys can be quite difficult and they tend to be a bit weird. It's best to avoid engaging in any conversations with them and just handle the situation smartly, in a way that protects your interests without directly interfering with them.
Ok @Bruce Woodruff, everyone's gonna find out just how savage I can be, which I wouldn't normally share but you asked and it seems the most expedient and fitting the situation.
The standard court process for enforcement is notorious to take forever, and given the history I doubt anything will ever change with them. And worst case, they start to clean up, sort of clean up, just enough to stave off a few more months of actions but never enough to truly cure anything, and it's a cycle of pain for years.
Or......
I'd get an attorney ASAP who's on board with the following actions plan. File suite, possibly small claims suit. Same time get 3 BPO's specifying to detail price impact of neighbors situation, as in pre and post mess. Get appraisal if need be.
What matters in court isn't so much the amount, but winning, win the suit and get a judgement. yes the more $ the better but make sure to get a judgement.
Than, place a lien.
Day after place a lien, I'd file and start service for notice of foreclosure.
Yup, foreclose on em.
And, betting could get neighbors to back it all, possibly buy-in as JV partners on it if $ is an issue, whatever.
Foreclosure is your best bet to get things done in the most rapid manner.
Savage? Yup. But so is exactly what they are doing. They have 0 care of anyone else, they are conquerors, so yeah, I have 0 empathy for such persons. Live by the sword, die by the sword.
I would let city/county do what it does but in my experience.... well last one like this I saw was still not done yr7. So I would sue, get judgement, lien, foreclose.
**** In no way shape or form is this legal advice or agency, I am not an attorney just a guy saying what I would do and sharing experiences.
Now.... let's say none of that is gonna work or it's too complex etc., or, ya just wanna take "Conan's" most direct path to VICTORY.
Ok....
I'd get the neighbors together, and get them on board as JV partners in this. Next step makes reason why obvious.
I'd contact the finance entity who holds the mortgage, and buy it from em!
Yup, buy it. Take a pic of the mess, send it with, and say "how much to buy this out". Buy the note.
I all but guarantee there is language in the mortgage of something for neglect whatever of property. And once buy it, then, take legal actions to foreclose or evict. Call note due demanding payment in full within ___ days for breach of contract etc etc.
I had our attorney reach out to a mortgage company before and try to buy a particular note. They did not cooperate with selling us the note.
Yeah, back in my days of doing slews of redemptions I had 1 bank who was reliably a pain in the azz and never workable. I found this to be a rare thing and that most were very workable, so I would say it's a good first effort practice to see how workable an entity will be, and from there go to the more complex strategies. Start with what's easiest and go from there, right.
It pains me to say it because I typically avoid HOAs, but what about teaming up with the neighbors and forming an HOA? The CCR's could include exterior aesthetics then go down the road of issuing warnings, fines, eventually lien and foreclosure if you need to (if your state allows that, mine recently limited the ability of HOAs to impose fines and place liens/ foreclose). Perhaps it's a health and safety issue? James had an interesting and savage idea to purchase the debt then start foreclosure action, but that would be a lot more expensive and take a lot longer than forming an HOA. Funny how we all love our property rights and the "free market" until it works against us right?
Forming a Homeowners Association is a good idea, but can a HOA legally enforce rules and regulations on neighbors who do not comply? Are HOAs legally binding entities that can involve building code enforcers or inspectors in issuing summonses to non-compliant neighbors?"