Investor · Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2013 · 643 posts · 280 votes
We went from zero to over fifty rental properties in about 10 years. Overall real estate investing has been a very good business for us in the form of cash flow and equity. But it is time to scale back to give us more time to focus on our family and some other projects.
So now we are in the process of selling 9 properties in Colorado and 7 properties in Ohio. We have listed them with real estate agents we like and have used other transactions. But I wonder if I should also list them on loopnet or crexi. Is that worth it? Can I do that as an owner? Or are there other strategies to get the properties in front of investors?
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y
Are the properties empty or worst case on MTM leases you can end in 30 days?
You’re going to get a lower selling price for occupied properties just as you will get an even lower price for selling a portfolio of homes. (They both shrink your pool or buyers and combining them really shrinks the pool.)
Assuming you don’t plan to do a 1031 exchange you’ll also pay higher taxes if you can’t spread them over two calendar years, but not much.
I’d list them each empty and individually. If you pool them you’ll be “guessing” at each individual value. Good luck.
Real Estate Broker · Cody, WY · Member since 2010 · 28k+ posts · 41k+ votes
1y
Talk to your agent to ensure they're OK with it. They're probably fine with you paying for additional marketing as long as they aren't cut out of the deal.
We went from zero to over fifty rental properties in about 10 years. Overall real estate investing has been a very good business for us in the form of cash flow and equity. But it is time to scale back to give us more time to focus on our family and some other projects.
So now we are in the process of selling 9 properties in Colorado and 7 properties in Ohio. We have listed them with real estate agents we like and have used other transactions. But I wonder if I should also list them on loopnet or crexi. Is that worth it? Can I do that as an owner? Or are there other strategies to get the properties in front of investors?
Mike
Most real estate agents can list your properties on Loopnet and Crexi. However, if you have 2-4 unit rental properties, you may not gain much benefit from listing on these sites, as they primarily focus on commercial properties.
Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
1y
Your agent should be able to list them on those sites. Generally portfolios are slower sellers. If you can network and find local players (FB groups, meetups) that could help speed it up
Investor · Las Vegas, NV · Member since 2013 · 8k+ posts · 10k+ votes
1y
Are the properties empty or worst case on MTM leases you can end in 30 days?
You’re going to get a lower selling price for occupied properties just as you will get an even lower price for selling a portfolio of homes. (They both shrink your pool or buyers and combining them really shrinks the pool.)
Assuming you don’t plan to do a 1031 exchange you’ll also pay higher taxes if you can’t spread them over two calendar years, but not much.
I’d list them each empty and individually. If you pool them you’ll be “guessing” at each individual value. Good luck.
We went from zero to over fifty rental properties in about 10 years. Overall real estate investing has been a very good business for us in the form of cash flow and equity. But it is time to scale back to give us more time to focus on our family and some other projects.
So now we are in the process of selling 9 properties in Colorado and 7 properties in Ohio. We have listed them with real estate agents we like and have used other transactions. But I wonder if I should also list them on loopnet or crexi. Is that worth it? Can I do that as an owner? Or are there other strategies to get the properties in front of investors?
Mike
It depends on the type of portfolio you have. It is a slow time in the market overall with the holidays this month and next. I would have personally waited a bit to list in the spring when things are hot and everyone is over-bidding.
Crexi and Loopnet will definitely expand your horizon for outreach but I just don't know it if it is worth it if your properties are primarily smaller residential properties.