Hey all! My wife and I are looking to buying our first house and we would love some advice from some seasoned investors and homeowners. My wife and I are 20 years old, bring a little under 100 a year, have zero debt, and have 30k to invest. it feels a little bit intimidating to be thinking about buying a house when we’re 20, but it sorta feels like the next step for us…
We’ve thought about how hacking, buying a single-family and slowly adding value to it over the next five years or so and then renting that out.
If you were 20, with 30k to deploy, what would you do in Columbus over the next five years?
Real Estate Agent · Kansas City · Member since 2018 · 4k+ posts · 3k+ votes
2d
I would house hack. I bought my live in flip at 21, my wife was 19. It's scary but focus on the numbers and buying right. I'd try for a 2-4 unit. Make sure you have reserves and avoid consumer debt.
No debt and $30K at 20 is a great position. I'd lean duplex over single-family: with 3.5% down on FHA you can keep $10K+ in reserves, and the other unit offsets your payment from day one. The test I'd use is whether it still cash flows at full market rent once you move out. If it does, you've got a repeatable plan.
Congratulations for the position that you're in! It's so awesome to be thinking about this stuff so young. I'd definitely find a house hack situation if you think you're ready to be home owners and landlords on the same day! I'm not sure what your market looks like right now but in NH the 3-4 units are reasonable and provide a great step into the game. Obviously Bigger Pockets has some awesome resources, including the calculators to figure out where your #'s leave you before/after renting your live-in unit.
Find something within your level of rehab/effort needed and my recommendation would be to live in the unit that needs the most work (while still livable), do the work until it is in a place that can afford the top market rent and go from there... Either ask a current tenant if they'd like to move into the newly renovated unit (for more rent/month) and trade apartments with them, or wait until you have a vacancy and move into the vacant unit, rent your market rent unit, and repeat!
It takes some hustle but it sounds like you're already educating yourself and thinking about all of the right things. Good luck with it.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 6k+ posts · 7k+ votes
1d
Quote from @Noah Kauffman:
Hey all! My wife and I are looking to buying our first house and we would love some advice from some seasoned investors and homeowners. My wife and I are 20 years old, bring a little under 100 a year, have zero debt, and have 30k to invest. it feels a little bit intimidating to be thinking about buying a house when we’re 20, but it sorta feels like the next step for us…
We’ve thought about how hacking, buying a single-family and slowly adding value to it over the next five years or so and then renting that out.
If you were 20, with 30k to deploy, what would you do in Columbus over the next five years?
As others have mentioned, you should house hack. I did that in my early 20s and now have a solid portfolio at 32.
Real Estate Agent · Austin, TX · Member since 2026 · 4 posts · 0 votes
1d
You're in a strong spot: no debt and $30K at 20. I'd go duplex over single-family. FHA lets you put 3.5% down, keep $10K+ in reserves, and have the other unit paying down your mortgage from day one.
The real test is simple: once you move out and rent both sides at market, does it still cash flow? If yes, that's a plan you can repeat.
Lender · MD · Member since 2025 · 187 posts · 72 votes
1d
Hi Noah,
You're in a great position for your age. With no debt, a solid income, and $30k saved, you've already built a strong foundation. If it were me, I'd seriously consider house hacking if the numbers work. It can help reduce your housing costs while giving you experience as an investor.
Before buying, I'd focus on understanding your financing options and monthly payment rather than stretching for the biggest house you qualify for. Keeping your payment manageable will give you more flexibility to invest in future opportunities.
I'm a mortgage broker and work with first-time buyers and house hackers. I'd be happy to help you compare your financing options and talk through what might make the most sense for your goals.
Real Estate Agent · Columbus Cleveland Dayton, OH · Member since 2024 · 2k+ posts · 934 votes
1d
Quote from @Noah Kauffman:
Hey all! My wife and I are looking to buying our first house and we would love some advice from some seasoned investors and homeowners. My wife and I are 20 years old, bring a little under 100 a year, have zero debt, and have 30k to invest. it feels a little bit intimidating to be thinking about buying a house when we’re 20, but it sorta feels like the next step for us…
We’ve thought about how hacking, buying a single-family and slowly adding value to it over the next five years or so and then renting that out.
If you were 20, with 30k to deploy, what would you do in Columbus over the next five years?
At 20 with no debt, solid income, and $30K saved, you’re actually in a pretty good position to get started. If I were in your shoes, I’d seriously look at house hacking in Columbus, especially a duplex or 2–4-unit property where you can live in one unit and have the rent help cover the mortgage. I’m active in the Columbus market and work with investors on deals, lenders, contractors, and property managers, so happy to connect and share what I’m seeing locally. You’re starting early, which is a huge advantage.