Skip to content
Buying & Selling Real Estate

User Stats

Votes
Jeff Wells
  • Rehabber
  • Yucaipa, CA
Votes |
CONTRACTOR PUT A B.S. LIEN ON OUR PROPERTY, NEED ADVICE.

Jeff Wells
  • Rehabber
  • Yucaipa, CA
Posted Jun 20 2014, 09:30

Ok, here's the story. We are rehabbing out of state. This has proven to be extremely difficult and stressful. We hired a contractor to do a job for $1300. He did the job, we paid him, but there was much more that needed to be done. Yes we should have gotten a lien release when he did the first job, but we didn't. So we came to a verbal agreement, backed up with emails, to finish all the other things we listed in emails for $2200 using the same terms as the contract which states he gets paid when the job is DONE. Well, he took WAY too long, and kept trying to add more and more stuff and demanded he be paid partially for his week's "work". Well, we got zero pictures, and I had a guy inspect the work and they did almost Nothing for 4 guys and a week. And what they did do looked like crap. So we were going to fire him, but he assured us he'd have it done by Tuesday (this was a Friday). We said, ok, we aren't paying you partial until it's all done, so get it done and we'll pay the 2200 on Wednesday. The agreed. The next day, he quit, demanded we pay him 2200 plus 200 in gas which we never agreed to at all. We told him he gets nothing, since he breached our agreement and quit. This son of a ***** files a lien for $3400, a THOUSAND more than we EVER discussed. We called the county clerk and they were utterly useless. They said we had to pay it or bond around it or hire a lawyer. No one seems to care that this is blatant extortion and fraudulent. This guy did this because we are 1500 miles away. I'm not about to pay some guy 3400 bucks who did about a days worth of work and did a terrible job to boot.

Does anyone know how we can have this removed and not hire a lawyer?

I cannot believe someone can just say you owe then money and tie up the house.

And no, we will not wait a year, we can't. And no, I don't want to bond around it. We do NOT owe this money.

Surely some of you have been here before. Valuable lesson learned here I know.

Loading replies...