Buy and Hold, Does It Really Make Sense?

Buy and Hold, Does It Really Make Sense?

Residential Real Estate Broker · Riverside, CA · Member since 2014 · 82 posts · 121 votes

I was once a buy and hold investor. Then one day, my light was turned off by the power company, in the house I lived in.

How could that happen? I had 40 houses, but I was always robbing Peter to pay Paul. Edison, the power company was Peter, so once they caught up with my tricks, my light was shut off.
I was frustrated and very broke. Then one day I attended Ron Legrand's seminar and he spoke about quick flips.
His presentation was so good, I paid to follow him to Las Vegas to hear more.

Since then, I have quick flipped over 400 houses.

So each time I hear new investors talking about buy and hold, I feel real bad. Today I ask myself, why would anyone buy and hold?

I once hired an assitant who is a real estate agent. During the interview, she told me she was an investor. Then I asked her, how many properties she had. She stated that she had three properties, one of them she had owned for over 12 years.

Then I asked her. "How much money are you making? She said Nothing, the rentals were barely breaking even and one was vacant.
Then I asked, "how much have you made in 12 years? Nothing she stated.

So the question is, does buy and hold strategy work for new or veteran investors?

This is a debate that everyone should contribute to?

Should you buy and hold? What if you are cash flowing a few hundred dollars a month?

Let's do the math. I buy a property with no money down. I flipped it in 90 days and made $40,000
You are a buy and hold investor, you buy a property, rent it out and you have a cash flow of $150 per month after paying your mortgage.

How long will it take you to accumulate $40,000? The correct answer is 266 months or 22 years.
So do you want to wait 22 years to make $40, 000?  or do you want to make the money now so you can accumulate enough $40,000 to actually pay cash for a few deals in a few years and then think about buying and holding? 

Which leads me to the one reason why buy and hold can make some sense.

If you are retired, you don't want to earn the peanuts interest paid by banks. It may make sense to buy a property cash, rent it out and get above average return on your money.

Another way it makes sense is if you are buying units and can buy enough and get to a cash flow that can replace your current income.

So let's hear from newbies and veterans, does it really make sense to buy and hold?

4Reply
837 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Investor · Chicago, IL · Member since 2014 · 229 posts · 171 votes
11y

This seems more like a subtle advertisement than an actual analysis of buy and hold.   

See this reply in the discussion

167 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @David Krulac

       David not sure as I don't have enough cash to buy them... But my neighbor when I lived in Napa sold his garbage company to WAste management for a ( well a bunch)... so that is one of his favorite cocktail party lines.

    Stock broker :  what are you invested in>   Garbage man  Double tax fee muni's... : Stock Broker well those don't pay much you could do better:  Garbage man.. Well it really depends on how many of them you have... my 2% return delivers me about 2 mil a year tax free.. so it works for me and I can sleep at night.... LOL... he loved to set the stock broker up with that one  !!!  But Mr. Bill also owns half of Napa... well not half but a lot of RE .. Vineyards.. Lake front home at Tahoe which is probably worth 10mil..  8 million dollar personal home.. bought the one next to him for a rental for 4 million.. etc etc.

    So there are other ways to aquire wealth and Garbage is one great way.

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    I agree with your assessment.

    It is important for each investor to look at where they want to get and set a path to get there.  If you want to quit your job in 4 years, make a plan to do so.  If you want to quit your job in 4 years and live on passive income, you better make a fairly aggressive plan. 

    Once you make enough, you can certainly take measures for safety.

    Now if you want to work for 20 years and slowly build your real estate rental portfolio, that is acceptable.  :)

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @David Krulac

      and for you David when any one is down playing the lower priced rental homes in the rust belt markets... like a Ben whatever his last name is.. you can say well yes to own a few of them can be an irritant.. but when you own 500 of them  well that's another matter all together.... LOL....

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @David Krulac:

    @Toyin Dawodu

    It doesn't have to be either or. You can do both. I've done 800+ deals, many have been flips, but also many were buy and hold. Doing both gives you current income as well as residual income. If all you do is flip, once you stop the income stops, its like a job. Whereas with buy and hold, you can hold forever and never sell and have a PM manage everything, or do only NNN. Then you get income with little or no work. There was a $5.1M NNN deal here with a 5 cap, which is $255,000 a year income and no work and no expenses, that's cool!

    Agree!  How do you get to the 5M mark though?

  • Austin, TX · Member since 2015 · 102 posts · 33 votes
    11y

    I have done both flips and buy and holds. I love my buy and holds with owner financing especially because I make $600-800 per house and never have to do any maint. 14% cap rates and no repairs is something I really like!

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Account Closed

      Not to be a know it all,, but you don't get cap rates when you take back a owner carry mortgage you get interest income and rate of return... you keep say the exact same thing in almost every post... at least get the mechanics correct other wise your credibility will get bruised here on BP

    it sounds like you and Joe Pickett work for the same guy.. at least you guys say the exact same thing.. so I got to think this is a sale pitch your doing.

    just like the west coast TK marketers that come on and say the exact same thing every post  IE I only buy for cash flow and I only buy out of CA becaue CA has no cash flow

    these post are really getting old and silly in my mind.

  • Mechanicsburg, PA · Member since 2013 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    11y

    @Jay Hinrichs

    Mrs. Horace Dodge, widow of the founder of Dodge cars, had something like $100Million in tax free bonds.  Her income was about $3million a year TAX FREE!

    I check with a broker today AA double tax free bonds are paying about 2.8%. 

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @David Krulac

    there ya go that is like making close to 5% on a NNN.. you don't need to worry bout depreciation since your not paying any tax's... Bills portfolio is about the same.

    Like I said there is huge money for htose that started mid level city garbage companies and were ready to sell when Waste management went on their buying spree.

    To make this even Better.. Garbage contracts with a city are usually 7 to 10 year contracts. Well Mr. Bill had a non compete that expired one year before the city contract with wAste management... Well Bills son was running the show for Waste management and only like a big corp could do.. they fired him ... So Bill cranks back up ... Being a Sion of Napa elite and very well known.. he makes a competing bid for the Garbage contract and wins it.. So he sold to Waste management got the huge check.. then buys it back 8 years later and now owns it and bought the one up in Chico and recycling etc etc.. he is a garbage King.

  • Ozzy SmithPro Member
    Specialist · Dayton, OH · Member since 2014 · 352 posts · 265 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Toyin Dawodu:

    @Dooreuhn Cee  This is a debate. If you have nothing to contribute, you have no right to insinuate comments that are opinionated instead of  stating your intelligent views about the subject. I am not advertising anything. I have been doing this long enough to know the pitfalls for most wannabe investors who are feeding on the wrong information. Its the wrong information that is keeping 95% of the aspiring investors from making any money. Real Estate investment is not about buying properties, its about making money. 

    How can you buy and hold when you have no money and no credit? 

    The same way you would buy and flip. It can be done through private money, hard money, or seller financing. I'm not sure where you get your funding to buy, and rehab with the thought it takes no money. The key word here is "BUY". If you can purchase to fix and flip then you can use similar sources to buy and hold. In my opinion there is more of a risk in being off on rehab costs for a newbie when trying to sell a property than doing minor repairs for a rental. If you can't figure out the right price to buy with minimal repairs and make a profit how would you ever be able to figure the right price to buy, intense rehab cost, ARV, holding costs, realtor fees, seller financing costs, and worst of all, what if it doesn't sell for the price or in the time frame you expect... there is no income at all! Now what?!

  • Developer · Los Angeles, CA · Member since 2012 · 132 posts · 32 votes
    11y

    Buy & Hold = True Wealth AND Flipping = Spending money

  • Real Estate Investor · Los Gatos, CA · Member since 2014 · 226 posts · 89 votes
    11y

    To me is very simple (in a way):

    Flipping

    • Full time job, lot of non productive hours put in, lot of knowledge and research in local market. 
    • If you calculate your honest $$$/hr you will find out it's not that amazing, or yes for a selected few it might be. If you invested 100 hrs total with everything accounted for to make 40k you yielded $400/hr. that's great, especially if it's net income. Oh, in fact you have to give 30-40% to taxes :( so net is what $200/hr?)
    • the real question here is the velocity of your $$$. If you wholesale you know precisely how much work is to find that one guy who's willing to sign a purchase option contract. Yes you made 40k but count the hours you actually put in and how many deals you lost to competition.
    • active income taxed at your current % probably 35% + state tax or more if you're doing well

    Buy & Hold

    • Allows you to leverage your 20% cash and your excellent credit to get a piece of appreciating real estate while someone else is paying for your asset. What a nice 401k that you don't even have to put money in every year and invest in stocks, besides the 20% you start with.
    • If you did the right job and identified the right market right neighborhood, right asset, you place it with a PM and move on with life.
    • Your actual $$$/hr is sky high albeit not immediate as flipping
    • tax depreciation, 1031 exchanges
    • any loss (if any), while passive if you have a non RE job, becomes active when you sell that business asset hence you will write it off against your active income of that year and eventually carry a NOL for next years. We all know most buy & hold properties may yield a small loss after depreciation is accounted for lol, so from my tax perspective unless your property is HIGHLY cash flowing, you may have a very small passive loss every year, though not actual cash loss but depreciation loss.

    So back to the original comparison that it takes 22 years to realize the $40k, I think it's worth noting that you also have the asset maybe free and clear by then or close to, and you didn't pay for it and eventually it appreciated a lot in value for the 20% you put down.

  • Rental Property Investor · La Plata, MD · Member since 2011 · 216 posts · 117 votes
    11y

    Toyin, sounds like you hit a nerve... But here is my two cents worth...

    If buy and hold doesn't work why the big apartment complexes?

  • Investor · Central Valley, CA · Member since 2012 · 6k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs:

    @Account Closed

      Not to be a know it all,, but you don't get cap rates when you take back a owner carry mortgage you get interest income and rate of return... you keep say the exact same thing in almost every post... at least get the mechanics correct other wise your credibility will get bruised here on BP

    it sounds like you and Joe Pickett work for the same guy.. at least you guys say the exact same thing.. so I got to think this is a sale pitch your doing.

    just like the west coast TK marketers that come on and say the exact same thing every post  IE I only buy for cash flow and I only buy out of CA becaue CA has no cash flow

    these post are really getting old and silly in my mind.

    Either they work for the same guy or there's some new hustle going on in with marketing seller financing deals.  Cap rates on seller financing???? That's not even a thing.  :)

    There's also the issue of the returns being stated.  Joe says he's "clearing" $800/mo on these notes.  But the deals he's posted have him collecting monthly payments with no accounting for original acquisition costs. He's posted deals like $50K acquisition, $80K re-sale.  Unless he's getting $50K down, the note payments are not all profit and he's not "clearing" what he says he is.  

  • John HornerPro Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Columbus, OH · Member since 2013 · 1k+ posts · 655 votes
    11y

    Good good good thread.  Our model is to market for discounted properties and when the leads come in we decide if it's best for a rental or a flip.  Most higher end areas are just not good for rentals, you can't even cash flow due to the high prices and property taxes.  We buy these and flip them.  There are other "blue collar" areas that are low crime, decent schools, median price range, and when we can get them at a discount make perfect rentals!

    My point is that I am not going to throw away a lead in a prime suburb in Ohio that I could make $25k-$50k profit flipping just because it would be negative cash flowing.  

    I do agree that rentals ultimately create wealth, but you have to get the money to invest somewhere so why not fully align your strategies to kill 2 birds with the same stone!

  • Investor · Titusville, PA · Member since 2015 · 298 posts · 150 votes
    11y

    I think this question is based on a false premise.  The premise makes the assumption that with flipping, one makes a lot of money and with buy and hold, one makes little money.  You're really comparing apples to hammers here.  If someone knows how to manage money correctly, he or she will not be robbing Peter to pay Paul, but will keep to a budget in each individual deal or company or investment.  If one does his due diligence and understands the math in its entirety, he will make a good (or great) return in EITHER strategy.  If he does the opposite, he will get the opposite.  It's the little  reaping and sowing law.  Neither strategy is right or  wrong, but the people doing them could be.  I like making chunks of cash, and I also like my money to keep working while I'm in my nursing home.  I choose both for different reasons and I am right both times.

  • Bulawayo, Zimbabwe · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 253 votes
    11y

    I'm sure both are wise in given circumstances.Flipping gives immediate big profits, while buy and hold offers tax advantages, leverage etc.

  • Investor · Denver, CO · Member since 2015 · 570 posts · 521 votes
    11y
    Originally posted by @Michael Worley:
    I would actually argue that the opposite is true. Cash flow is what matters, not net worth. 

    Cash flow is all that matters in anything. As an example, if you have a pension that paid you $8,000 a month for the rest of your life and you spent every penny of it each month you would have a decent lifestyle without having to do any work.

    Until you spend $8001 per month.

    In Texas they call it all hat no cattle. 

    Lots of high rollers rolling around in their expensive cars, living in expensive houses, quite a luxurious lifestyle all based on a high income, who can keep their appearances up as long as they can keep financing it through loans. Those poor show boats can be bought and sold by the truly wealthy who have true wealth measured in net worth not income.

    Long ago I was a car salesman in an area considered upper middle class, day after day those people would come in wanting to purchase big, flashy sport utilities. I'd show them a $1100 a month payment with $2500 down payment. They'd have no problem with the $1100 a month payment, but they couldn't come up with the $2500 down payment. Inevitably the deal would be made with no money down with a $1200 payment and they were happy as clams. No cash, but if you give me monthly payments I can have what I can't afford. High income no net worth.

    Older folks would come in and write a check for a $50,000  brand new truck. High net worth.

  • Anderson, CA · Member since 2015 · 3 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    It would seem to me that the best way to make good money in real estate investment is to be flexible in how you make your money. Buy and hold, flipping, wholesaling, vacation rentals, all are can be excellent ways to earn income as well as invest in your future. However every one of those strategies can make you go broke or worse if you do them wrong or make major mistakes.   

    Even though my wife and I are only now just getting started in real estate investment, we have both been around real estate as a business for year. My mother and uncle are partners and have invested in commercial RE for years. My wife had many years experience managing apartments and other rental real estate.  Now that we are ready to make real estate our full time occupation we wanted to have a plan that would get us the most money up front as possible but also allowed us to buy and hold properties that made sense financially.  

    There is no, one size fits all strategy to become successful in REI. It would seem to me that your best bet is to focus on one or two strategies that you are comfortable with always making sure that your numbers show positive cash flow. But always keep an eye open with regards to other ways of profiting from properties that come your way.

  • Investor · Cedar Rapids, IA · Member since 2013 · 494 posts · 407 votes
    11y

    This buy and hold guy played golf today..... just saying....

  • Greg H.Pro Member
    Moderator
    Broker/Flipper · Austin, TX · Member since 2013 · 4k+ posts · 4k+ votes
    11y

    This flipper just got back from a week in the Dominican Republic.....so I took the week off from playing golf.........just sayin'

  • Scottsdale, AZ · Member since 2014 · 659 posts · 536 votes
    11y

    @Glenn McCrorey, @Greg H.

    Heck, I will vote for each of you...  People that take action and then enjoy life.  What else is there?

  • Joe VilleneuvePro Member
    Plymouth, MI · Member since 2013 · 13k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    11y

    Income from Flipping has a shelf life.

  • Jay HinrichsBusiness Member
    Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
    11y

    @Joe Villeneuve

      my shelf life is going on 30 plus years  :)

    No right answer here I think its what ever floats your boat.. I know when I went on my run and bought 350 SFR's in the mid west It was a lot of work a lot of travel.. its nice to think you can just sit back and hand it all to PM and never worry about a thing.. But that's just not reality with a large portfolio or if you want to make sure your hitting your numbers. Its a job just like now were I have close to 100 new builds and flips or other types of short term investments working at anyone time... Golf I used to play 130 rounds a year now its 2.

    I used to take 3 to 4 months and spend it in the desert now its never.  Travelling cross country almost monthly to check on my boys and girls in the field.. But that's work of flipping but I like we do inspections then I treat them to the best dinner in town !!

    For me I am more comfortable if I want quasi passive cash flow with lending and collecting monthly payments then land lording.. But I realize that is not reality for most as there is no leverage.. So it really depends on where your at in your life and investment cycle.

  • Kalamazoo, MI · Member since 2014 · 224 posts · 129 votes
    11y
    Is the quarter round or shiny? Go
  • San Antonio, TX · Member since 2015 · 10 posts · 1 vote
    11y

    Totally makes sense for my seller financed investments in my neck of the woods. 

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.