Who are a hotels main guests besides tourists?

12 Replies

Obviously, tourists make up a large portion of a hotels guests. What else is there?

Laborers? What else?

Depends on the hotel. If you're talking a roadside fleabag motel then most likely transients/homeless paying by the week. If you're talking a swanky downtown place then probably business travelers.

It's usually filled with people who like sleeping with a roof over their head. 

All jokes aside:

International Backpackers

Business Travelers

Family Tourists

Young Couples

Homeless/Felons/Evictees (anyone that can't pass a background check to rent a house)

At some point you want to narrow your location/price point to get a better understanding of client mix. Are you talking about cheap motels, high end hotels, weekly suites with kitchenettes?

There are a couple of run down mid 60-70's motels several miles from us that are rented weekly/monthly as half way housing, financed by the taxpayer. BUT occupancy runs 100%. 

As someone who lives in hotels 365 days/year, let us not forget theatrical/entertainment tours (certainly a very small percentage, but we do nonetheless).  We also run into a ton of business travelers and conventions.  You'd be surprised how many hotels get booked up as a result of cheer-leading conventions, farmer conventions, comic book conventions, etc.  Just my two cents.  

I just had a conversation with my mother's best friend, who has worked as the sales manager at a hotel for many years. She would go out to different large companies, and find out when they had people coming into town for jobs and when they were travelling. She has landed big corporate groups staying for an extended period for hundreds of thousands of dollars each time.

That's not a demographic, but it shows you that as an owner, YOU can go decide who comes in your hotel.

Originally posted by @Austin Hughes :

I just had a conversation with my mother's best friend, who has worked as the sales manager at a hotel for many years. She would go out to different large companies, and find out when they had people coming into town for jobs and when they were travelling. She has landed big corporate groups staying for an extended period for hundreds of thousands of dollars each time.

That's not a demographic, but it shows you that as an owner, YOU can go decide who comes in your hotel.

Only within the constraints of your geographical location.

Absolutely Roy.

She focused on the industries surrounding the area and any new construction that was about to be done, which would require workers for an extended period of time.

@Emily Powell

or like last May in Chicago the Aminee convention now that was a group of colorful people ...

being a business traveler like I am 100 nights a year in hotel... its mostly business folks and then vacationers and specialty groups... Airline folks.. really depends on the hotel , time of year and price point and of course its location...

Originally posted by @Jay Hinrichs :

@Emily Powell

or like last May in Chicago the ANIME* convention now that was a group of colorful 

Just fixing it for other readers ;)

@Bud Leiser

I knew it was something like that.... color ful collection of folks that's for sure.. and they were not shy to walk around looking pretty strange... One time In an  elevator and was surrounded by drag queens... turned out to be a drag queen convention.. that can be king of scarry up close and personal.... :)

@Jay Hinrichs  

"People take different roads seeking fulfillment and happiness.  Just because they're not on your road, does not mean they are lost." - Dalai Lama

@Emily Powell

I grew up in San Francisco during the Height Ashbury days I know how to live and let live.. and did my time in Northern CA Ashram type colonies.. Albiet somewhat of a RE nerd but all the same.. can't label me with that kind of thought  :)

Free eBook from BiggerPockets!

Ultimate Beginner's Guide Book Cover

Join BiggerPockets and get The Ultimate Beginner's Guide to Real Estate Investing for FREE - read by more than 100,000 people - AND get exclusive real estate investing tips, tricks and techniques delivered straight to your inbox twice weekly!

• Actionable advice for getting started,
  • Discover the 10 Most Lucrative Real Estate Niches,
  • Learn how to get started with or without money,
  • Explore Real-Life Strategies for Building Wealth,
  • And a LOT more.

Lock We hate spam just as much as you

Create Lasting Wealth Through Real Estate

Join the millions of people achieving financial freedom through the power of real estate investing

Start here