Once the house is repaired, do you get it re-inspected?

Once the house is repaired, do you get it re-inspected?

Evans, GA · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 3 votes

Closing on my first home a a couple weeks!

So here's the deal...I got the home inspected, and it's in good shape.  A few things came up though

1)  Front Porch was separating (not the foundation)

2)  Rear Left Gutter/down spout disconnected

3)  Hot Water tanks connections have corrosion (they're replacing the whole unit)

4)  Rear back deck is missing a "board"

5)  Inside the crawl space, evidence of water intrusion

6)  Inside the crawl space, under Master Bath a PVC has a slow leak

The seller is covering everything above.  The question is, should I pay another $275 to get the home re-inspected?  I think I can tell for the most part if everything was taken care of properly.  #5 & #6 worry me a little though.  

0Reply
9 views

Most Popular Reply

Deerwood, MN · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 122 votes
10y

I wouldn't.  But then, I never hire an inspector.  Looks like the water heater repair covered your cost of the inspection.  You should have reserves for paying for future repairs that will come up.  If you do have it reinspected, I would recommend hiring a different inspector, who will see different things.

See this reply in the discussion

7 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Deerwood, MN · Member since 2014 · 184 posts · 122 votes
    10y

    I wouldn't.  But then, I never hire an inspector.  Looks like the water heater repair covered your cost of the inspection.  You should have reserves for paying for future repairs that will come up.  If you do have it reinspected, I would recommend hiring a different inspector, who will see different things.

  • Investor · Woodbridge, VA · Member since 2015 · 476 posts · 197 votes
    10y

    Unless any of these things were marked by the county to be fixed and re-inspected then I wouldn't worry about it. As far as the basement goes, replace the leaking pipe and have someone who specializes in basement water issues/mold issues come and take a look at the property. That should be fairly cheap or free and give you some peace of mind.

  • Brie SchmidtBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Real Estate Broker · Chicago, IL · Member since 2013 · 6k+ posts · 5k+ votes
    10y
    Originally posted by @Andrew P.:

    Closing on my first home a a couple weeks!

    So here's the deal...I got the home inspected, and it's in good shape.  A few things came up though

    1)  Front Porch was separating (not the foundation)

    2)  Rear Left Gutter/down spout disconnected

    3)  Hot Water tanks connections have corrosion (they're replacing the whole unit)

    4)  Rear back deck is missing a "board"

    5)  Inside the crawl space, evidence of water intrusion

    6)  Inside the crawl space, under Master Bath a PVC has a slow leak

    The seller is covering everything above.  The question is, should I pay another $275 to get the home re-inspected?  I think I can tell for the most part if everything was taken care of properly.  #5 & #6 worry me a little though.  

     It is really going to be a personal decision... are you confident that you can see if the last two were done properly?

  • Curt DavisBusiness Member
    Flipper/Rehabber · Memphis, TN · Member since 2008 · 5k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    10y

    Most home inspectors should charge far less for the re-inspection considering they are only looking at the issues from the beginning.  If the price was $275 first then it should only be $150 or less on the back. 

    Curt Davis - KAIZEN Realty538 Reviews
  • Developer · New Orleans, LA · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 898 votes
    10y

    @Andrew P. I personally would not. I would however take a look at each item and compare it to the photos from the survey to ensure that it was taken care of.  All items except or #5 should be very obvious (I am not sure what #5 would even look like, but I come from an area where the crawl spaces are completely open).

  • Architect · Papillion, NE · Member since 2015 · 1k+ posts · 840 votes
    10y

    You should be able to see if the fixes have been made.  Ask yourself does another inspection add value? Is piece of mind added value to you? If you answer yes then do so but this should be at less cost.  I would not spend the money if I can tell the items were fixed.  I would try to call the inspector again and ask for more information and possible remedies for #5.

    A plumber can take care of the leaky tub (#6) for $100-200 I would guess.

    #5 could come from condensation forming on the under side of floor due to lack of ventilation in the crawl space.  It could be a leak from some place else as well. This could be from 10 yrs ago and everything is fine. The inspector should have given you several ideas of why there is an issue here and how to remedy this as well.  Lack of info on this as I'm speculating at best here.

  • Evans, GA · Member since 2015 · 35 posts · 3 votes
    10y

    thanks guys

    I think I'll just check it out myself

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.