Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
I have been pondering this lately. I have seen that almost universally, all the apartment complex investors and syndicators on here, in their profile picture are wearing suits. I would also imagine, that when speaking with banks, accredited investors, sellers, securities attorneys, etc. these same folks would most definitely be wearing more formal attire (correct me if I am wrong). Is it really possible to be "big time" without doing all this?
I am grateful to have done well for myself on a smale scale. In real estate, having worn shorts and a polo; and in medicine, wearing scrubs. What do you guys think? "Act as if"
I think if you dress appropriately, and look the part, you will exude an air of confidence and it does something to your psyche. Walk around with sweats all day, see how you feel. Then dress us and notice the feeling. If you feel good, then you will act accordingly. Just my experience
Residential Real Estate Agent · Grand Rapids, MI · Member since 2013 · 803 posts · 689 votes
10y
@Andrey Y. I wish I could get away with wearing shorts to work every day. Unfortunately it is snowing at the moment so I am forced into warmer clothes. If I go into a bank to get a loan and the lender is wearing a t-shirt and shorts I am not going to take them as seriously. I am not saying you need to be in a full-blown suit all the time but at least appear professional with slacks and a nice shirt (tucked in). I am a Realtor and I see other agents wear suits to show a house but I feel that is a bit overkill and makes the clients feel uncomfortable (plus they are hot in the summer). I am usually dressed in business casual attire as you never know who you might meet and when.
If you think you can grow your business the relaxed way (wearing shorts) then more power to you. I don't know if that is acceptable where you are.
A good piece of advice for you is to see what other successful people do and act and dress like them. Look and feel the part and you will feel more confident.
Rental Property Investor · Tucson AZ / Nice FR / Washington DC · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
V'neck T's and sports jackets work.
Bankers and finance people wear suits, it's their uniform. Even if you have deep pockets and bling-bling, why dress like a bum. Toss a jacket on with designer jeans and talk business. You want to do deals in shorts, go buy a yacht and have your banker talk deals on it while you troll around the bay.
I think if you dress appropriately, and look the part, you will exude an air of confidence and it does something to your psyche. Walk around with sweats all day, see how you feel. Then dress us and notice the feeling. If you feel good, then you will act accordingly. Just my experience
Software Developer · Vidor, TX · Member since 2015 · 922 posts · 639 votes
10y
If you have a solid business plan, portfolio and financials and someone passes on you because you wore flip flops that day? Make someone else money. Banks? Loan officers could care less what you look/dress like. They care about your CS, DTI and funds.
Investor · Southold, NY · Member since 2016 · 173 posts · 154 votes
10y
Suits have a time and place. Networking events of a reia type, I roll decent shoes , sports coat, button down, jeans no tie.
Meeting seller of apt complex is always a crap shoot. Just roll what's comfortable for you. Don't look like a doof, but don't over think it.
Cruised into a 7mm apt complex. I wore kacks, button down, nice shoes. I was over dressed, owner was in jeans tennis shoes and polo. He was my age.
Be confident thats the trick. If you have the chops power your flip flops.
If you want to put best foot forward go business casual. You can wear a suit but there are situations where's if you are wearing a suit and not comfortable it shows.
I know dudes that's rock a suit in 80 degree weather and they would rather be uncomfortable than NOT in a suit. They appear themselves and it's fine.
Just be yourself and respect the situation is best advice.
@Andrey Y. I wish I could get away with wearing shorts to work every day. Unfortunately it is snowing at the moment so I am forced into warmer clothes. If I go into a bank to get a loan and the lender is wearing a t-shirt and shorts I am not going to take them as seriously. I am not saying you need to be in a full-blown suit all the time but at least appear professional with slacks and a nice shirt (tucked in). I am a Realtor and I see other agents wear suits to show a house but I feel that is a bit overkill and makes the clients feel uncomfortable (plus they are hot in the summer). I am usually dressed in business casual attire as you never know who you might meet and when.
If you think you can grow your business the relaxed way (wearing shorts) then more power to you. I don't know if that is acceptable where you are.
A good piece of advice for you is to see what other successful people do and act and dress like them. Look and feel the part and you will feel more confident.
Good luck.
I can see where you're coming from. Realtors always dress nice, everywhere I've been. Silicon valley entrepreneurs where a T shirt and jeans to work, and I hear they do okay ;)
this unwritten rule is so ridiculous. what's next? if the guy rolls in the bank with a wheelchair and can't put a suit on he can't be an investor?
I have sweats on after my day job and let my wallet and experience do the talking.
I've noticed no difference in how I was treated or getting loans approved for instance, whether I wore a shirt and shorts vs. slacks and dress shoes. I think they look more at cash, credit, experience, and responsibility.
I feel though, to get into syndication or large multifamily, I feel like the industry is dominated by folks in suits.
Flipper/Rehabber · Orlando, FL · Member since 2016 · 311 posts · 150 votes
10y
Could I wear shorts & sandals every day? Yes.
However I always prefer to be the best dressed person in a room regardless of what exceptions might be. I don't wear suits (at minimum business casual) because I want to 'look' like I am important or feel I need to somehow look the part, but because dressing nice not just makes you look good but feel good also, everyones different but I certainly enjoy getting suited & booted every morning.
Bankers and finance people wear suits, it's their uniform. Even if you have deep pockets and bling-bling, why dress like a bum. Toss a jacket on with designer jeans and talk business. You want to do deals in shorts, go buy a yacht and have your banker talk deals on it while you troll around the bay.
This made me laugh out loud. The latter part of your statement kind of sounds like the best possible scenario, no?
However I always prefer to be the best dressed person in a room regardless of what exceptions might be. I don't wear suits (at minimum business casual) because I want to 'look' like I am important or feel I need to somehow look the part, but because dressing nice not just makes you look good but feel good also, everyones different but I certainly enjoy getting suited & booted every morning.
Thanks for your feedback! I think thats a nice rule to abide by. I hope if I move to Alaska from here, I will have the opportunity to update my wardrobe. Going out wearing pants is quite uncomfortable here.
However I always prefer to be the best dressed person in a room regardless of what exceptions might be. I don't wear suits (at minimum business casual) because I want to 'look' like I am important or feel I need to somehow look the part, but because dressing nice not just makes you look good but feel good also, everyones different but I certainly enjoy getting suited & booted every morning.
Thanks for your feedback! I think thats a nice rule to abide by. I hope if I move to Alaska from here, I will have the opportunity to update my wardrobe. Going out wearing pants is quite uncomfortable here.
Investor · Orange County, CA · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
One of the many reasons I only invest with my own capital, with occasional backing from Fannie & Freddie. I buy what I want, I fix it the way I want, I manage it how I want, I decide when to sell and for how much, I act how I want, I say what I want, and I dress how I want. On the other hand, if you are trying to attract outside investment, you have to go by their standards of investment, appearance, etc. If I wanted somebody telling me how to look, dress, and act, I'd stick with W2 employment.
A bit off topic, but from what I've been told by folks in that crowd, one of the grand ironies of it all is that when there are the best deals, it is the hardest to find capital; and when the deals are scarce are when it is easy to find investment capital.
Investor · San Francisco, CA · Member since 2015 · 306 posts · 211 votes
10y
Personal thoughts
I think about this EVERY DAY (although I don't work in RE for my job). Being a young-looking female that is rarely taken seriously on first glance, I always bring some sort of professional top outfit.
The results vary but it's interesting how discriminatory I've found people when I change outfit. Heck, even myself, I often unconsciously judge. Then again not too much as a hoodie and terrible pants in Silicon Valley means you make money.
For myself, if I see a person dressed business casual (sport jacket) and black / dark shoes (even though I prefer tacky, comfortable shoes myself) I am likely to take them more seriously. If it's a full-on suit, I assume they're going to sell me something unless I enter a 1MM open house.
I would recommend a suit (or business casual as a suit may seem a bit much) if you want to "fake it until you make it".*
*Exceptions: Silicon Valley, You are already rich (you have nothing to prove), you are good at lying
Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
10y
Andrey,
You asked a question that seems like there's no right or wrong answer. Although I stopped doing RE syndications, I don't wear a suit in my profile picture as you can see. That's the same profile picture on my Linked In account. Unprofessional? I don't need a damn job from anyone. Don't like it? They can go bite dust for all I care.
People in suits are normally salespeople. They have to look the part. First impression is important to strangers. Dress to impress? Once the relationship has been established, there's no need to impress anyone.
People respect you for your success and knowledge. I don't know about others, but when I see people in suits, two things come to mind. Either they have made it, or they're just an empty suit and have something to sell. Do whatever makes you happy. Don't overthink it.
Goleta, CA · Member since 2016 · 4 posts · 3 votes
10y
Just a side note: if you are going to wear a suit, please make sure it fits. Also, make sure you are wearing it properly. Just because it's a suit, doesn't mean it's a good outfit. I would much rather see someone in a nice casual outfit than a bad suit.
Akron, OH · Member since 2015 · 178 posts · 189 votes
10y
I have been back and forth about this, due to my background, both professionally and personally. I see the points on both sides.
I personally now love to "take advantage" of the fact that 99.9% of the time people give an extra edge to people dressed a certain way.
There was this missionary who was extremely successful, and part of the explanation was, within reason, he went with the flow. Saul/Paul: 1 Corinthians 9:19-23
Real Estate Broker · Indianapolis, IN · Member since 2014 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y
So what I've found here in the mid-west. When meeting with sellers people dis trust flashy clothes, nice cars, and expensive watches when dealing with off markets sales. So I drive a 2001 Ford, Wear a dark gray t-shirt, and a button up.
In sales I was always taught to mimic those I'm meeting with.
Money talks. Suits are more a reflection of personal taste. What is more a measure of a man is attitude, integrity and confidence. Oh, and money. Wearing a suit does not say you have money it says you have a suit.
I have yet to meet with any banker or other financial entity that has not required my financial information before making a decision. I think personality is far more important than a suit when it comes to getting ahead.
Dress appropriately for the situation but don't overdress.
Real Estate Consultant · Summerlin, NV · Member since 2014 · 45k+ posts · 66k+ votes
10y
@Andrey Y. this is situational real estate at its finest.
when I am over in your neck of the woods most the business men are wearing NIce Hawain print shirts and slacks. and you can tell a local as they are not very tan LOL. its only the tourist and those that work out of doors.
When I was in the Timber business... guys would show up in their tree felling attire.. cutoff jeans and corkers ( boots with studs in them so they don't slip off of logs) pants duck taped at the bottom and sleeves duct taped close.. ( this to keep yellow jackets or hornets from flying up your pants or arms and stinging the crap out of you).
Our market here in PDX is predominatly business casual.. nice slacks etc.. as others mentioned my bankers they were their daily suits... and its a requirement in that industry.. although you see tellers and what not get to dress down.
If I am say invited to present at REIA type event or FIBI event in LA I wear slacks and jacket.
I only wear a Tie at weddings ...
But on the RE sales side its really a personal thing... having had many agents work for me over the years .. some are business casual some always were nice suits especially on listing apointments ONe guy I worked for was over the top... 700 to 1000 italin loafers and 3 to 5k Cavalli suits. I had to go buy a few just to see what a 3k suit was like.. and boy they are nice for sure.. wore it maybe 5 times.
Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 10 votes
10y
Hi, I'm a real estate agent and one thing I learned so far is that the first thing you are selling, it's yourself. So wearing the appropriate dress it's very important for most clients. Some clients will refuse to do business with agents wearing casual dress, others don't mind. However, dressing the best you can is a signal that you respect your business, yourself and them (clients).
If you're not in the sell side of the business, then it doesn't matter that much what your wearing.
Manville, NJ · Member since 2015 · 140 posts · 59 votes
10y
I have a uniform of sorts. I own a contracting company and invest in real estate. So it's has to be an SUV or Truck and I wear Cargo pants and some sort of t-shirt. I wear the same to networking events, kind of what is expected. I suit wouldn't work when I pitch my company handling your latest rehab. I also almost always have a tape measure and a clip board with me. I use my clipboard w/ compartment like a briefcase. I say fit the role you play. A suit may not be necessary unless you are meeting in a board room.
Investor · New York, NY · Member since 2008 · 169 posts · 73 votes
10y
I think it depends on the market, who you are talking to and what you are trying to achieve.
In markets here in Brooklyn (think Williamsburg, Bushwick, etc.) Queens (LIC, etc.) - you will likely do better dressed more "hip". No suits - that's a different market (unless we're talking Thom Browne suits). If you want to connect with the hipsters, you might want to present as someone that can talk organic elephant poo coffee, etc.
If you're doing business in the bankers' areas or where old money is, then go ahead and where the bespoken suit and shoes.
Any other areas where the clientele is not as specific, then a well-fitted suit or blazer never hurts!