Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
I have been pondering this lately. I have seen that almost universally, all the apartment complex investors and syndicators on here, in their profile picture are wearing suits. I would also imagine, that when speaking with banks, accredited investors, sellers, securities attorneys, etc. these same folks would most definitely be wearing more formal attire (correct me if I am wrong). Is it really possible to be "big time" without doing all this?
I am grateful to have done well for myself on a smale scale. In real estate, having worn shorts and a polo; and in medicine, wearing scrubs. What do you guys think? "Act as if"
I think if you dress appropriately, and look the part, you will exude an air of confidence and it does something to your psyche. Walk around with sweats all day, see how you feel. Then dress us and notice the feeling. If you feel good, then you will act accordingly. Just my experience
Miami, FL · Member since 2015 · 6 posts · 10 votes
10y
Liam Cardenas You're 1000000,00000% right!!!!!!!. I've seen guys wearing suits so big that looks like pajama!. If somebody in this industry will wear a suit, they should take a look at the million dollar listing N.Y. Series and see how those guys wear their Suits.
Real Estate Broker · Raleigh, NC · Member since 2014 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
@Andrey Y. I struggle with this because my husband is always looking at my outfit like "are you going out in public like that," and I'm like "I HATE being uncomfortable", and it's to the point I think I have a sensory disorder when it come to tightness, itchiness, being hot or cold, etc. So, my middle ground is to wear stretchy skirts and dresses when I have to look presentable. Otherwise, I'm in yoga pants (or my pajamas if I don't have to leave the house).
Specialist · Honolulu, HI · Member since 2014 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
10y
Originally posted by @Account Closed:
Andrey,
You asked a question that seems like there's no right or wrong answer. Although I stopped doing RE syndications, I don't wear a suit in my profile picture as you can see. That's the same profile picture on my Linked In account. Unprofessional? I don't need a damn job from anyone. Don't like it? They can go bite dust for all I care.
People in suits are normally salespeople. They have to look the part. First impression is important to strangers. Dress to impress? Once the relationship has been established, there's no need to impress anyone.
People respect you for your success and knowledge. I don't know about others, but when I see people in suits, two things come to mind. Either they have made it, or they're just an empty suit and have something to sell. Do whatever makes you happy. Don't overthink it.
Enjoy your weekend.
My thoughts on this align with yours. Although, regarding those two things that come to mind, I think can be elucidated pretty quickly once the person opens their mouth. Thanks, have a great weekend!
@Andrey Y. this is situational real estate at its finest.
when I am over in your neck of the woods most the business men are wearing NIce Hawain print shirts and slacks. and you can tell a local as they are not very tan LOL. its only the tourist and those that work out of doors.
When I was in the Timber business... guys would show up in their tree felling attire.. cutoff jeans and corkers ( boots with studs in them so they don't slip off of logs) pants duck taped at the bottom and sleeves duct taped close.. ( this to keep yellow jackets or hornets from flying up your pants or arms and stinging the crap out of you).
Our market here in PDX is predominatly business casual.. nice slacks etc.. as others mentioned my bankers they were their daily suits... and its a requirement in that industry.. although you see tellers and what not get to dress down.
If I am say invited to present at REIA type event or FIBI event in LA I wear slacks and jacket.
I only wear a Tie at weddings ...
But on the RE sales side its really a personal thing... having had many agents work for me over the years .. some are business casual some always were nice suits especially on listing apointments ONe guy I worked for was over the top... 700 to 1000 italin loafers and 3 to 5k Cavalli suits. I had to go buy a few just to see what a 3k suit was like.. and boy they are nice for sure.. wore it maybe 5 times.
Thanks for sharing. That hornet comment was hilarious! I always liked dressing up, but here folks in michelin star restaurants and nightclubs don't even bother to dress up, even though its quite appropriate to (in my opinion).
Are you about visiting here again this year? I think that Cavalli suit is probably toast after wearing it 5-10 times anyway ...
Investor · Sugar Hill, GA · Member since 2014 · 168 posts · 97 votes
10y
A few weeks ago I went to a courthouse in a small city wearing a nice slacks and jacket and I clearly noticed that I was paid attention because I looked like I meant business. I was even walked into the courtroom without going through security!. We still live in a time that you are treated according to how you dress.
Flipper/Rehabber · Myrtle Beach, SC · Member since 2014 · 95 posts · 35 votes
10y
My biggest investor & mentor (in terms of dollars available to invest, who's worth about 150 million) told me that if I didn't take myself seriously then nobody else would either. A three piece suit isn't always necessary, but look like you know what your talking about, cause you never know who you'll meet out there.....
Lender · CA · Member since 2015 · 9k+ posts · 10k+ votes
10y
Me: Slacks, button up shirt, tie.
Folks that want to buy homes: (queue British accent) While I truly do appreciate the power cleavage dear madam, or the fact that a plumber takes the time to own/maintain a suit good sir, (queue American accent) the fact is that it's not going to change your credit/income/asset situation, so don't bother dressing fancily to talk to a lender. If I don't take you seriously, it's going to be because of your credit/income/assets (both real and "on paper," because I can often make the paper reflect reality accurately) relative to your goals, not because you're a plumber dressed like a plumber or a computer programmer dressed like a computer programmer.
Cedar Park, TX · Member since 2015 · 377 posts · 200 votes
10y
Know your audience and dress accordingly.
I used to work for a large general contractor as an estimator and often met with hospital administrators, corporate executives, etc. Business casual was always safe (slacks, button down shirt, nice shoes).
We were meeting to discuss how to spend large sums of their money so it was important to be dressed appropriately and even more important to speak with confidence.
Real Estate Investor · Maple Valley, WA · Member since 2016 · 25 posts · 1 vote
10y
There is a lot of good information but I fell a lot of it is personal. My choice would be clean and pressed jeans and boots. But when we come down to it dress how ever you feel that showes you take pride in your self and what you do. TW compass RE Investor Seattle WA.
Rental Property Investor · Honolulu, HAWAII (HI) · Member since 2011 · 4k+ posts · 2k+ votes
10y
Super rich folks with PM can wear Jack Nicholas Sweatpants and get away with it. The way I see it is that you don't have to wear a suit but you should show some respect for the other person in a business setting to spend 10 minutes and 50 bucks on our outfit.
Real Estate Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 42 votes
10y
Andrey,
For the two loans I have gotten here in Alaska, I have worn jeans and a flannel. The standards are much lower up here. It is rare to see people wearing suits up here. You mostly see people wearing down/puffy jackets over a casual outfit of slacks and a nice shirt. I think no matter what the situation, it is always a good idea to wear a button up shirt and at the very least some nice jeans up here.
- Connor
Real Estate Investor · Anchorage, AK · Member since 2015 · 117 posts · 42 votes
10y
Also, Fairbanks where I think you are headed has even lower standards of dress. You would probably be fine with Carhartts and a flannel with work boots. People are just trying to stay warm up there, lol.
Investor · Warminster, PA · Member since 2016 · 29 posts · 11 votes
10y
To me it's very simple. If you want respect, dress respectably. That doesn't always mean wearing a suit...The best advice I ever received about going to a job interview was to dress for the interview so that if you got hired and asked to start the same day, you wouldn't have to change your outfit. Dress for the occasion. That being said, take some pride in your work and your appearance!
You'll never be wrong with khaki slacks and a collared shirt. If you're bootstrapping a real estate business you never know who you'll run into. The easiest way to get the word out about what you're doing (and generate leads, sell properties, etc) is to just talk to people, but if you want them to take you seriously then you shouldn't be dressed like a bum. If you look like a joke, I'll think you're a joke...And you don't know if I'm a deadbeat buyer or the next best thing in real estate.
Real Estate Agent · Allston, MA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 2 votes
10y
I'm a real estate agent in a more casual part of the industry (rentals). Our dress code is business casual, but during the summer we can be a little lax. Khaki shorts (not cargo), polos, and boat shoes. I think it's a pretty nice look and is comfortable.
We are responsible for our clients housing, it's a pretty serious task. I think it helps ease our clients minds when we look the part of a professional. I know I wouldn't want to rent an apartment from a guy in sweat pants!