Erie, Pa info

34 Replies

Hi everyone, I live in California and am looking into Erie as a potential investment location on a multi family buy ad hold property. Doing my preliminary market research and wanted to know if anyone has any helpful info on the area. Best location for rentals? Good realtors? Good property managers? Any other important info I should know about Erie. Thanks in advance for your help!

Promotion
Turo
Turo car sharing
Start a small business on Turo
Join thousands of entrepreneurs who have started successful car sharing businesses on Turo.
Learn more

I went to college at Gannon University in Erie, and live in Huntington Beach, CA. I am looking to purchase a multi family as well and a friend of mine from college is a real estate agent who has been helping me look at MLS's. Let me know if you would like her information. If you live near Huntington Beach, or Orange County, CA. Let's meet up.

Hi Dennis,

Thanks for getting back to me.  I don't live in the area - I just liked what I read about Erie and what it's doing to survive in tough times.  I'd love to chat to your friend!

Hi Michael,

I'm most interested in multi-family that will attract good renters - but Erie looks tricky:  seems like it's hard to find good renters; the properties are old and the upkeep looks intimidating.  Also it seems like there's a lot of unemployment, and a declining population.  However, it also seems that there are going to be big investments soon via insurance and the hospital that make it look promising.  

Anyone who has questions about Erie and the investment market, please drop me a line. I am an avid investor and am also licensed.  Love helping anyone who may need some direction!

Around the colleges are popular for buy and hold if you don't mind renting to college students.  Properties don't tend to last long if they are close enough to one of them.  For such a small town we have a lot of good colleges too.

@Sarah Huffman I am looking to buy my first rental property in Erie this fall. I am a senior at Gannon now. Where did you buy your duplex? Are you renting out to students or a normal rental? Is it cashflowing positive? 

Thank you

Originally posted by @Evan Phoenix :

@Sarah Huffman I am looking to buy my first rental property in Erie this fall. I am a senior at Gannon now. Where did you buy your duplex? Are you renting out to students or a normal rental? Is it cashflowing positive? 

Thank you

Hey Evan, are you playing hoops this year? lol

If you are looking for the student route, there are usually a few for sale around Gannon, maybe on the outskirts which could be areas you are looking to avoid though

Promotion
Vacasa
Vacation Rental Property Management
We do the work. You get the ROI.
We do it all for your vacation rental. All—marketing, pricing, guest requests, housekeeping & more.
Free income estimate

Just getting started on BP and would like to begin networking and linking up with people who are driven and have common goals. I have dreamed about real estate investing for a long time and it is what I plan to do full time once I retire from the military in about three years. I was born and raised outside of Erie, PA and hope to return to be close to family again.

I get home a few times a year and would love to set up a meet a greet for anyone interested in getting together to discuss potential deals or share experiences with investing in and around Erie. I am thinking this fall will be the next time I get back (October). I am starting early to see if there is any interest in doing this and hopefully have a decent turnout. We could do a morning thing or evening makes no difference to me.

Please let me know what you think

Dave

@David J Pring III shoot me a text (its in my profile, they won't let me post it here) If anyone else needs help shoot me a message.  For anyone interested in the Erie Market, I highly recommend joining the Apartment Association of North Western PA as well as the Facebook page hosted by my friend and fellow investor, Erie PA Real Estate Investors.  Both the Apt Assoc and Erie PA Real Estate investors have monthly meet ups.  Great place to meet other investors and start schooling yourself on the local market.