Long Islander investing in Syracuse...

Long Islander investing in Syracuse...

Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes

Hello BP,

So I believe I will be investing in the Syracuse area...

The numbers seem very good with these multi-family homes...

I was wondering if I could use some of your people to help...could you refer a property manager, inspector, a general contractor and a handyman (for the small day to day stuff)?

Also, what are the people like up there in Syracuse?  I hate to sound paranoid, but certain parts of NYC are still very...well...diversity intolerant.

0Reply
74 views

Most Popular Reply

Real Estate Broker · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 39 posts · 26 votes
7y

@Emmanuel Longo We do most of our work with Paul Finch, he's a local contractor in Syracuse and works with many of the local BP community investors. He's a very active investor and property manager as well, so he's a great overall asset for our market. I've sent you a PM for his contact information.

See this reply in the discussion

29 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes
    9y
    Anyone in Syracuse?
  • Investor · Utica, NY · Member since 2015 · 36 posts · 12 votes
    9y
    Tom Chen I am located in Utica ny, which is down the thruway from Utica about 45 minutes. I don't have a large knowledge of the Syracuse area but do have a nice setup in Utica with property management, and a good handy man/maintenance guy who I believe does travel to Syracuse. I could refer you to him and also a very good property inspector in the Utica area if you are interested.
  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    Hey Tom:

    I'm in Syracuse in the SU district but have no real experience. I do know a very good contractor who has done work for me. I've extensive remodeling on my homes and have a feel for how houses are put together. If I can help in any way let me know as I am eager to learn about the investing side. I can also help give you a feel for neighborhoods. 

  • Rental Property Investor · San Rafael, CA · Member since 2015 · 190 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    @Tom Chen feel free to PM me and I can provide contact info for the people I have in the cuse. The numbers can be great but potentially in areas you don't want to be in (south side, for instance). Depends on your tolerance so do your homework. So far I have found a fair number of nice SFH that work for my numbers but anything above a duplex is more difficult to locate. Happy to share local knowledge but I am investing from the west coast so there are definitely people more local than me on BP who can help you out. We are going to have a meet-up on Thursday 2/2 if you are in town.

  • Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    @Will Chamberlin thank you so much...!  I wasn't planning on being there on 2/2...I thought I saw something about a 2/7 meeting and was lamenting that I would be in Texas that week.  I may very well come up for that meeting!

    @John Kaftan thank you very much for your offer as well!  

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    9y

    What arw the details on the Feb 2nd meeting?

  • Realtor · Minoa, NY · Member since 2015 · 125 posts · 56 votes
    9y

    @John Kaftan the plan is to meet at Coleman's at 7 (I think) and hang out, have a few beers, and dork out about real estate for a while. The last one was fun and I think we all came away learning a few things. 

  • Syracuse, NY · Member since 2015 · 21 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Tom Chen Are you still looking for a contractor? I have one for you. One thing to be aware of is that SU is building a lot of housing. There is a rumor that they might require more than just freshman to live in the dorms. That would change things.
  • Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    @John Kaftan

    I definitely will be...my contractor that I use for my primary residence probably won't travel 4 hours for a job...LOL

    Will you be going to the meetup on the 2/2?

    Thank you for the info by the way!

  • Property Manager · Syracuse, NY · Member since 2016 · 601 posts · 384 votes
    9y

    Can I get some info on a meet up on 2/2? I am in the Syracuse area, we do fix and flips and wholesale properties if our flip crews are swamped. All of our crews are in-house contractors. We don't do a lot of buy and hold but if you have any questions in particular I can help. I have a very experienced friend who does property management and handles over 200 properties right now, we also complete ongoing maintenance and rehabs for banks and government agencies like HUD, FNMA, FMAC, BOFA, PHH, etc. My friend who is a property manager would definitely be willing to give you as much help as possible. He teaches a creative finance course to realtors, he is an excellent broker.

    Please send me an message on here. 

  • Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    @Ronald Starusnak

    I believe the place is Coleman's and it will be at 7.

  • Real Estate Investor · Cicero, NY · Member since 2010 · 25 posts · 1 vote
    9y

    I am also in Syracuse and have some contacts.  We primarily fix and flip.

    Who is hosting this meeting at Colemans on 2/2/17 ?

  • Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    @Dave Charron, I'm not sure who is hosting, but @Will Chamberlin invited me...

    hope that helps

  • Rental Property Investor · San Rafael, CA · Member since 2015 · 190 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    @Dave Charron @Ronald Starusnak

    I put out the original invite here. I guess that makes me the host but there is no agenda and no plan, per se. Just looking forward to seeing some friendly faces and meeting new investors over a beer. I think we had 6 or 7 people last time (Apr 2016). Seems like more interest this time around.

    - will

  • Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes
    9y
    Just out of curiosity, are there any agents or investors in the Syracuse market that will be around on January 14th & 15th? I'm hoping to buy someone lunch or dinner and hopefully get a bit of a tour?
  • Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes
    9y
    Will Chamberlin Are we still good for the 2nd?
  • Rental Property Investor · San Rafael, CA · Member since 2015 · 190 posts · 90 votes
    9y

    yes sir! i will be there.

  • Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes
    9y

    @Will Chamberlin, WOW!  What a great turnout last night!  Thank you for setting this up. 

    It was a pleasure to meet so many like minded people and I hope I'll have my first deal under my belt by the time we meet up again. 

    @John Kaftan, @Brian Barfoot, @Sebastian Villa, Mark, Steven, Andy, and Adam, it was a pleasure meeting you all. 

  • Ed BlackshearPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Liverpool NY/Utica, NY · Member since 2018 · 76 posts · 10 votes
    8y
    I’m wholesaling In Syracuse let me know if I can assist you.
  • Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes
    8y

    @Ed Blackshear, sorry...didn’t see your reply until just now. I may start looking again later this year. 

  • Colorado Springs, CO · Member since 2018 · 85 posts · 144 votes
    8y

    @Tom Chen - I'm currently in Colorado (I'm in the Army, so they ship me around), but I'm born and raised in Central New York.  Wanted to check in on your journey AND offer myself as something of a local guide.  I have lots of friends who live in Syracuse who act as my neighborhood scouts and I'm talking to a potential fix-and-flip team to tap into.  Send me a PM and we can chat!

    @Ed Blackshear - Dude, I am LITERALLY wearing my Utica Comets t-shirt right now.  The first house I lived in was on Waverly Place.  Shoot me a message, I would love to connect.

    And, to totally hijack your thread, Tom, I'm also looking for fix-and-flip opportunities in the Syracuse suburbs.  Anyone who has some leads, feel free to message me!

  • Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes
    8y

    @Thadeous Larkin

    My apologies, I only just now saw your reply.  

    So I purchased a duplex in the 13203 zip code and it's doing well.  Had a hiccup with flipping bed bugs that wiped out a couple of months of reserves...so annoying.

    That said, I'm interested in purchasing something bigger...potentially a 5 unit and above.  Up to a small apartment building.

    The only things I've been seeing though, are apartment buildings with a lot of studio or 1 bedrooms.  I'm concerned those will become a headache with constant turnover.

    Next time I come up, I'll PM you...maybe we can grab a bite.

  • Port Jefferson Station, NY · Member since 2018 · 1 post · 0 votes
    7y

    @Tom Chen Hello, I am also Long Islander and interested in investing in Syracuse. We are planning to drive up there to visit some properties and purchase our first investment house. Are you still in Long Island and available any time that we can meet up and discuss?

    @John Kaftan, @Ronald Starusnak, @Dave Charron: I will be driving to Syracuse this weekend to visit some properties (10/13), can you refer me to some good contractor/handy man/property manager? And possible, we can meetup for some discussion. I am totally new and would love to discuss with local investors.

    Thanks,

  • Real Estate Investor · Flushing, NY · Member since 2016 · 210 posts · 77 votes
    7y
    Originally posted by :

    Hello, I am also Long Islander and interested in investing in Syracuse. We are planning to drive up there to visit some properties and purchase our first investment house. Are you still in Long Island and available any time that we can meet up and discuss

    Hi Tu, 

    I’m in Valley Stream, let me know when you’ll be in the area and we can see about getting together. 

    Most likely later in the evenings on weekdays.  Weekends are normally ok during the day if I’m not out with the fam. 

  • Rental Property Investor · Valley Stream, NY · Member since 2017 · 5 posts · 2 votes
    7y
    @John Kaftan Hey John, I noticed you mentioned having worked with some good contractors in the Syracuse area. I’m working on my second deal and could use some good recommendations. Do you mind sharing? Thanks!
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.