Which city in San Francisco bay area should i start

Which city in San Francisco bay area should i start

San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 16 votes

Hello bay area dwellers,

I have been thinking of getting started in real estate by investing in a (MFR) in the bay area. I crunched some numbers to come up with cities that offer highest rent/price ratio (in theory) when looking from high level.

I have only included BART cities in the east bay to limit my search to fewer markets. I have not included Oakland as I think that it's own beast with may sub-markets. Following is a compilation of data I came up with by using city-data.com.

Pittsburg, Richmond, Hayward, Concord and San Leandro seem to be viable options for cities with median price ratio below $500,000, with Pittsburg offering highest rent/price ratio and no rent control. Rent control rules for all these cities are as follows:

Pittsburg - None

Richmond - Multi-unit homes (including duplexes) built before 1995 are rent controlled. Single family homes, certain small second units (“granny units”), and rental of a room within a home are NOT controlled.

Hayward - A landlord must own at least five units in the City of Hayward for the Hayward Rent Ordinance to apply. a tenant who rents a single family home after January 1, 1996 cannot be covered by the rent protection

Concord - No

San Leandro - No rent control. But rent review board ordinance applies to complexes with three or more units

Of course, good and bad deals can be found in each of the above cities. But, would love to know what others think on the ease of finding good MFR deals in any of the above markets? Any suggestions on how to chop up Oakland neighborhoods will also be appreciated so I can add it to the table above.

Thanks much!!

8Reply
141 views

Most Popular Reply

J. MartinPro Member
Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
9y

@Atish Shah,

With your target GRM and desire for low-crime, good-school district areas, you sort of want the best of both worlds - high cash flow, and a good area likely to have strong single family home appreciation. And I want to be rich and famous. But we both have to struggle with reality hehe You would either need to go somewhere else, or decide which is more important to you (or at least compromise).

Like @Brian Burke is saying, you're looking at single family home prices, but trying to buy more than one unit. You probably need to go even further than what Brian is saying, and compare how much in rents you can get with $X00,000 of a multi-unit building in city 1, vs city 2, vs city 3, etc. Or just call up an agent that deals with them, and they should be able to give you a range of GRM's. CBRE and other commercial real estate brokerages also publish data on GRMs for large multifamily in different cities. You will have a higher GRM for 4-unit buildings and under than for large multifamily, but I think the proportions across different cities will be similar - as a place to start.

If you can get a vacant 4 unit in Richmond, you might be able to get close to 1% / 8-9 GRM(ish). Maybe in Vallejo also, but that's getting further out, and the city's all f**ked up after the BK and high taxes. (Richmond could be going that way too though! lol) @Diane G., play nice with the other kids in the sandbox ;) Atish is trying to learn. I could still buy under a 10 GRM today (especially after some transitioning). @Arlen Chou did the same last year in Oakland, when everyone said it couldn't be done.  Given, they aren't in Silicon Valley... 

@Arlen Chou

See this reply in the discussion

57 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Jerome KaidorPro Member
    Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2013 · 122 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    Wow, this is interesting data!  You might want to add greatSchools ratings.  In my neck of the woods, Hayward is known to have bad schools - whereas neighboring Castro Valley has good ones.

  • Real Estate Agent · Danville, CA · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    And beware that some streets in Castro Valley actually belong to Hayward school district. :-)

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 16 votes
    9y
  • Realtor · Alameda, CA · Member since 2013 · 8 posts · 0 votes
    9y

    Are you looking to live in the building? Or is this strictly a non owner purchase for you? Beyond raw numbers, what else are you using as criteria?

  • Investor · Santa Clara, CA · Member since 2014 · 138 posts · 54 votes
    9y

    Have you thought about out of state investments?

    I live in Bay Area but invest only out of state.

    The rent to price ratio doesn't make any sense in the Bay Area, and I prefer to invest in landlord friendly states (without rent control, and being able to evict within few weeks)...

    I host a meetup about out of state investments. Feel free to check it out:

    meetup.com/Los-Gatos-Real-Estate-Networking-Meetup/

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    @Jorge Jimenez I am looking for strictly non-owner occupied multi unit. Ideally a 4plex with monthly rent around 1% of the purchase price. I haven't been looking actively yet though.

  • Jerome KaidorPro Member
    Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2013 · 122 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    Noted RE: Castro Valley schools - I believe everything south of 580 mostly belongs to Hayward Unified.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    Thank you @Jerome Kaidor

  • Investor · San Diego, CA · Member since 2016 · 351 posts · 141 votes
    9y

    @Atish Shah There currently aren't any 4-plex (on the MLS) that meet that 1% rent to purchase price criteria unfortunately - at least not at the price the sellers are asking for!

  • Jerome KaidorPro Member
    Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2013 · 122 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    This whole Castro Valley schools thing is of concern to me, because I have two preschoolers who - if we don't do something - will be going to Hayward Unified.  We have investigated moving our housing development affiliation to CV, but the CV school district says they're maxed out.

  • Jerome KaidorPro Member
    Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2013 · 122 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    @Atish Shah - what's the 1% criterion? I generally go with GRM - divide the yearly gross rents into the purchase price.

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    @Jerome Kaidor , as a rule of thumb, I am looking for the gross rent to be 1% of the purchase price. This is somewhat hard to achieve in the bay area with market deals

  • CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Atish Shah

    What planet have you been on? Other than war zones, you be lucky to get half of 1% today...

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2017 · 18 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    @Diane G. hahah, that is why i said that it is somewhat difficult to achieve in the bay area. Some some investors have been able to achieve that in Oakland, amongst other cities/towns

  • Brian BurkePro Member
    Investor · Santa Rosa, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 7k+ votes
    9y

    Interesting data...but I wonder how useful it is. If one community has a high number of sales of high-end homes it's median price will skew higher. Those high-end homes aren't typically in the rental pool so there wouldn't be a correspondingly high rental rate to skew the median rent in tandem with the price. 

    For example, in Santa Rosa the median price is $625,000 as of May 2017. But investors don't typically buy $625,000 houses to rent out (in Santa Rosa). Most would tend to buy in the $350K to $500K range. So comparing the price to rent ratio against the median is misleading. 

    The real question would be to compare rents at a specific price point. In other words, what does a $500,000 house rent for in Pittsburg, Hayward, etc.  Then you can get a more accurate ratio...and the result may or may not surprise you. 

  • Jerome KaidorPro Member
    Investor · Hayward, CA · Member since 2013 · 122 posts · 65 votes
    9y

    @Atish Shah - OK, a 1% monthly rent equates to a GRM of 8.3. Not gonna happen in the Bay Area. Too much money chasing too few deals. Maybe a mechanics special multifamily in the Valley. I bought my Hayward building in 2001 at a GRM of 10. Right now, I would jump on a multiple of 10 in the east bay, but that's not happening either.

  • J. MartinPro Member
    Rental Property Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2011 · 3k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Atish Shah,

    With your target GRM and desire for low-crime, good-school district areas, you sort of want the best of both worlds - high cash flow, and a good area likely to have strong single family home appreciation. And I want to be rich and famous. But we both have to struggle with reality hehe You would either need to go somewhere else, or decide which is more important to you (or at least compromise).

    Like @Brian Burke is saying, you're looking at single family home prices, but trying to buy more than one unit. You probably need to go even further than what Brian is saying, and compare how much in rents you can get with $X00,000 of a multi-unit building in city 1, vs city 2, vs city 3, etc. Or just call up an agent that deals with them, and they should be able to give you a range of GRM's. CBRE and other commercial real estate brokerages also publish data on GRMs for large multifamily in different cities. You will have a higher GRM for 4-unit buildings and under than for large multifamily, but I think the proportions across different cities will be similar - as a place to start.

    If you can get a vacant 4 unit in Richmond, you might be able to get close to 1% / 8-9 GRM(ish). Maybe in Vallejo also, but that's getting further out, and the city's all f**ked up after the BK and high taxes. (Richmond could be going that way too though! lol) @Diane G., play nice with the other kids in the sandbox ;) Atish is trying to learn. I could still buy under a 10 GRM today (especially after some transitioning). @Arlen Chou did the same last year in Oakland, when everyone said it couldn't be done.  Given, they aren't in Silicon Valley... 

    @Arlen Chou

  • CA · Member since 2016 · 1k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y
    @ j. Martin -I was not being mean... I was joking with Op.... he had no issue with it... where did your sense of humor go??? Lol
  • Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    Thanks for the info @Atish Shah. I agree with others here, finding a multiunit property that meets the 1% rule here in the bay is damn near impossible, however, it can be done. I cannot speak for all cities in the bay, but as you said, others have done it in Oakland. I just got through driving by a triplex yesterday that was acquired for $375k, the owner put in $175k for rehab, and the rents sit right around 2k per unit. Just as an example, I have linked the exact property.

    Here is the before https://www.redfin.com/CA/Oakland/2518-Seminary-Av...

    Here is the after https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2518-Seminary-A...

    Are you ok with a building that needs a lot of rehab? I live in East Oakland but would be down to help you divide it up Oakland to get it on the list. Just message me.

  • Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Atish Shah I posted yesterday about the 6 plex in Oakland I purchased last year in another post from @Diane G.  Admittedly that was not 1% it was only .9% at time of acquisition.  The deals do exist, but they are not laying around for the average person to pick up.  Anybody who is familiar with the area will know that my building is not in a "war zone".  Again, admittedly it is not downtown Los Altos, but it is not Baghdad either.  The housing market that we are in will freeze anybody who lives in the world of generalities.  A generalist, will only see the impossibilities and the be stopped by the perceived barriers to success.  Dig deep and find your "unfair advantage" and apply it to well researched specific markets and properties.

    Good luck to you Atish,

    Arlen

  • Investor · Los Altos, CA · Member since 2014 · 942 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Nick James are you involved in that building?  That is a great bit of tracking.  I remember when that building first came on the market.  It looks great now!

  • Investor · Oakland, CA · Member since 2016 · 13 posts · 15 votes
    9y

    @Arlen Chou, I am not unfortunately :( I own a duplex about half a mile away from it and saw the progress they were making. I am trying to buy triplex or fourplex in Oakland so I reached out to see what they planned on doing with the building. I agree, it does look great and it will be right next to the new East Oakland retail center http://www.eastbaytimes.com/2017/02/02/east-oakland-retail-center-finally-breaks-ground/. Congrats on getting a 6 unit building in the Fruitvale area that cashflows! I would love to be able to pick up a multifamily in that area.

  • Professional · Brooklyn, NY · Member since 2017 · 624 posts · 147 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Atish Shah:


    A grand total of $1495 for a house in Pittsburg CA? It seems you have an error in the tabular data -- two 'median house price' columns. Is one of the columns supposed to be median rent for the city?

  • Realtor · San Francisco Bay Area, CA · Member since 2016 · 123 posts · 48 votes
    9y

    @Atish Shah  Thanks for sharing the data.  It's very interesting.  I also looked at East Bay and haven't pull any trigger because of the price.  You may want to look into the appreciation % too.  I was surprised by some of them.  

  • Investor · San Jose, CA · Member since 2012 · 2k+ posts · 3k+ votes
    9y

    @Atish Shah,

    Based on my experience, invest in the market you know best would give you the highest chance of success. I've known a few BP members who have done the "impossible" investing in the Bay.

    @J. Martin is renting a couple of units from us on buildings where we're getting 0.9x% and 1%. We bought these in summer and Christmas of 2015. Hope to get the RTP ratio a little higher in the near future on some natural turnovers. It also helps that J is paying us above fair market rents. LOL! Just kidding there.

    @Jen L., thanks for hanging out and bought me lunch the other day. Sorry I couldn't show you the buildings around SJSU. My favorite building by far is right across from SJSU. I love that building more than our Japan town buildings. My friend is in contract TODAY on the 12-unit Japan town building. I didn't want to show it today because it would make your heart melt. I've been trying to get her into something and finally was able to.

    @Diane G., we bought a 6-unit building in March of this year at 0.8% ratio. Not the greatest, but not too bad given where we are in the cycle of the housing market. Wait until I stabilize this babe and refinance her with First Republic Bank next year at 3% interest rate for a 5/1 ARM with a 10-year balloon on 30-year amo. This baby will cash flow alright.

    There are several pieces to the puzzle. How to find the deals; how to finance them; how to stabilize them; how to get the equity so you can rinse and repeat; how to have agents/brokers keep bring deals to YOU. Deals rarely make it on the market. They are reserved for players in the inner circle and established closers. Given what you know now, go get them.

    We bought this 8-unit building in almost turnkey condition in summer 2016 for $1.86M. Eight months later, we had an unsolicited offer for $2.5M. We turned it down. Jen saw it in person a couple of days ago. Unlike others, I don't make crap up, and this is not even my favorite building. ;)

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.