Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
Hello BP community! I am new to BP and real estate investing. My wife and I just had a baby and are looking to move closer to her family who live in Toledo Ohio.
She is originally from Toledo and we are looking at the Old West End 43620 to live. I am also looking to start investing in real estate in the area when we move up there.
Does anyone know much about the Old West End? Are the home values appreciating? Also where are good area codes to start looking to invest? I also have concerns with the lead laws passed recently. I appreciate any information shared!!
Thank you,
Zach
Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2015 · 233 posts · 135 votes
9y
@Zachary Martin OWE is a very spotty area and mainly only a couple blocks are good to live as a primary resident. Any renovation has to be done according to a specific historical code. For example, you can't replace wooden siding and windows with vinyl which is a constant maintenance.
A lot of houses in OWE have leaded glass which is a problem in passing lead inspection. This area is listed in Tier 1 of the new Toledo Lead Ordinance which must comply before June 30 2018.
Real Estate Agent · Dayton OH (dayton, oh) · Member since 2016 · 194 posts · 123 votes
9y
@Zachary Martin I work with the largest SFH buyer in Toledo, I eat, sleep and breath this market. I have also lived here the majority of my life. I would love to connect with you and offer what I can
Investor · Toledo, OH · Member since 2015 · 233 posts · 135 votes
9y
@Zachary Martin OWE is a very spotty area and mainly only a couple blocks are good to live as a primary resident. Any renovation has to be done according to a specific historical code. For example, you can't replace wooden siding and windows with vinyl which is a constant maintenance.
A lot of houses in OWE have leaded glass which is a problem in passing lead inspection. This area is listed in Tier 1 of the new Toledo Lead Ordinance which must comply before June 30 2018.
Real Estate Broker · Toledo, OH · Member since 2011 · 384 posts · 434 votes
9y
Hi Zach, the Toledo Lead Safe ordinance isn't going to affect home owners. Only rental property owners.
Live where you want, invest where it makes cents.
There are some amazing homes in the Old West End and Toledo needs good home owners, you have a sound plan there.
You definitely will want to be careful buying invesments in the OWE, like Adam said it has historical requirements you may have to contend with. (I invest just North of you in 43608 and 43612...my houses get the Menards special contractor grade white vinyl single hung $99 windows. You wouldn't be able to install those in a historical district)
Hello BP community! I am new to BP and real estate investing. My wife and I just had a baby and are looking to move closer to her family who live in Toledo Ohio.
She is originally from Toledo and we are looking at the Old West End 43620 to live. I am also looking to start investing in real estate in the area when we move up there.
Does anyone know much about the Old West End? Are the home values appreciating? Also where are good area codes to start looking to invest? I also have concerns with the lead laws passed recently. I appreciate any information shared!!
Thank you,
Zach
The Old West End is very "choppy"
I see upside with ProMedica doing great things downtown and the rumor is that many white collar folks are looking to buy up some of the nice historic looking homes.
Akron, OH · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 13 votes
9y
My brother lives in 43607, and the neighbor is looking to sell their house (elderly mother lives there). He is likely looking for 25K under market value or more, because of how my brother has updated and taken care of his property. And likely also because they are motivated sellers. I've been doing a lot of research in that zip code and it seems to be a good neighborhood. Both online and in person. A friend of ours has purchased a few homes in the old west end, and is working on rehabbing them. They are massive and the costs to rehab are tremendous. The end result will be magnificent but unless you currently are financially well off, I'd stay out of that market. Build your funds and use the OWE as a goal for yourself. Get into it when you can afford to do so.
Columbus, OH · Member since 2017 · 3 posts · 1 vote
9y
Thank you everyone for the great feedback. We probably won't do investments in the area based off your feedback (thank you) - historic requirements / lead. However we still are interested in living there. I think it could potentially be a great area in the future. i75 is going to be part of the autonomous vehicle corridor. It looks like Dana / FCA are creating an industrial park just north of OWE (less than 2 miles). I wouldn't be surprised if more automotive / software tech companies come into downtown. We will see. I'll be moving to Toledo end of august. Maybe I can connect with some of you then.
Thank you!!
Zach
Thank you everyone for the great feedback. We probably won't do investments in the area based off your feedback (thank you) - historic requirements / lead. However we still are interested in living there. I think it could potentially be a great area in the future. i75 is going to be part of the autonomous vehicle corridor. It looks like Dana / FCA are creating an industrial park just north of OWE (less than 2 miles). I wouldn't be surprised if more automotive / software tech companies come into downtown. We will see. I'll be moving to Toledo end of august. Maybe I can connect with some of you then.
Thank you!!
Zach
Zach,
To your remarks here - "It looks like Dana / FCA are creating an industrial park just north of OWE (less than 2 miles)"