Let's get real about starting out

Let's get real about starting out

Minneapolis, MN · Member since 2017 · 40 posts · 70 votes
There are so many positive stories about people starting their investment careers on here and online that aren't painting a completely accurate picture. Most people are living paycheck to paycheck. The statistics on people even having a savings account, let alone 10-20k to put into real estate, are abysmal at best. Most people don't have a parent that can lend them the money either. And if there is a relative or friend with that money willing to take that kind of risk you need to be able to sit on that money long enough so the bank doesn't question it and then be able to find the right deal for it after that. The stories of college kids buying houses is great, but let's not pretend you made that money working in the student book store. And if so how?! My point is there's a big piece missing from these "rags to riches" stories. I think it'd be much more helpful to share how folks honestly and actually got to a point where they could make that first decision. Did your parents help? Was college free? Did you work three jobs and save for 2 years? Were your job earnings large to start with? How did you actually get there?
28Reply
321 views

Most Popular Reply

Investor · La Grande, OR · Member since 2014 · 194 posts · 176 votes
9y

@Dustin Ruff,

It's all about the Hustle. I believe that's why so many folks use the house hacking strategy to get started. Most Americans have the ability to qualify for some type of a low money down loan (USDA, VA, or FHA), which makes getting into their first property as an owner-occ and then converting to a rental pretty easy. I spent a year in Iraq to make the cash to get started in Real Estate; it sucked being away from family, but if you want it, you will find a way.

See this reply in the discussion

93 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Ocean Isle Beach NC · Member since 2016 · 6 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    I have enjoyed all of the comments in this discussion. I am preparing for my first transaction and have funds from a ROBS account accumulated over many years. As I prepare, I am considering a relocation. Something I am able to do and have an interest in doing. I like the idea of face to face meetings, personal relationships and the "boots on the ground" being my own. 

    After seeing Indianapolis, Columbus, or "anywhere in Ohio" on so many short lists, it's been interesting to me, after reading every reply here and clicking through to read the profile of each writer (took me a couple of hours), to see only one person specifically indicating Indianapolis as an out of their home state area of interest and one other indicating "midwest". Everyone else seems to be working in their own back yard (Cleveland was also indicated by one person, but they live there).  Most impressive to me was LaGrande, Oregon. (Check out @Mike Sattem and what he has already accomplished there). I guess we all know that a business can be built in even Grays Harbor, Washington. 

    There's no arguing with the economic indicators in the midwest, but these findings encourage me to consider lifestyle factors before throwing in to the current hot markets. 

  • San Francisco, CA · Member since 2016 · 38 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    Hustle, patience (but not too much), keeping our "why" at the forefront of everything, and a willingness to do the research/read a ton, team work (husband and myself).

    My husband and I don't have a ton of school debt because we both went to state schools and got scholarships. We moved from Michigan to California when I became a teacher and husband started freelancing. I'm not teaching any longer and he now works FT at a design firm, and since we're both highly valued employees, we get raises when we ask for them. We've always lived below our means, even with non-tech jobs in San Francisco (I'm at $60k, husband at $90k). No credit card debt, ever. We use credit cards to our advantage only. Put everything on the card and pay it off each month, and never going over what we can pay back immediately. When the idea came to us to start investing in REI, we got serious about saving, stopped eating out, stopped buying things, etc. My husband is also a freelance wedding videographer so he took a couple extra weddings on to help us save more. Scrapped together $15k in about four months for a DP on a house that was an absolute cashflow gem (finding it was lucky, but to get so lucky, we had to hustle).

    I feel like I can look at most people and say, "Ah! Do this, and that, and read this book..." and formulate their "get ahead" plan for them just knowing the basic details of their lives. Unfortunately, I feel like most people are UNWILLING to put in the work required. :(

  • Investor · San Jose, CA, Bellevue, WA · Member since 2016 · 327 posts · 257 votes
    9y

    While in college my parents paid tuition and I paid all my living costs. House hacked a rental with roommates to save money; and worked as a car salesman, lumberjack and blogger to make money. 

    Got out of college with no debt and about $20k to my name. Got a job making average salary. 

    Bought a foreclosure 2br/2ba townhouse for $127k with 5% down then spent another 15k rehabbing (about 8k put on credit cards) and house hacked that with my girlfriend. 25 months later I sold it for $267k which provided me the funds to keep on going. Now at age 30 I own a little over a million dollars of cash flowing real estate with just under $620k debt 

  • Investor · Las Vegas NV · Member since 2017 · 26 posts · 7 votes
    9y

    Working my way up. Wholesaling to build extra capital for now with plans to buy a multifamily next year. Baby steps over here.

  • Wholesaler · Glen Burnie, MD · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    @Dustin Ruff THANK YOU! for hitting the nail right on the head, you took the words right outta my mouth. most times when people leave out the patience and hard work part of the story, focusing only on their success, it makes others feel dumb and slow (if you get what I mean) and then you're wondering if its the same business you're doing lol. 

    Thanks @Mike Sattem for sharing the Iraq experience and @Jason D. for talking about how you had to save. Please people, share your honest experience, its better you let us know the difficulties of your experience which will in turn drive us to work hard, than you just sharing the easy aspects of your success leaving others wondering if they can make it in the industry.

  • Gila Bend, AZ · Member since 2017 · 38 posts · 14 votes
    9y

    After 7 years of reading about and watching the "real life" flipping, fixing, updating home shows I've wanted to get into real estate. I really want to buy and hold for the next 20 years. (I'm 45 years old)
    My wife and I bought our "first" home together in Buckeye, Az, for $125,000. We have moved to Gila Bend, Az for her teaching job and after 2 years we decided to sell our home as we watched the market jump faster than we ever imagined. We listed the 3/2 1250 sq.ft. home at $162,000 after a  $2,500 in/out paint job and $3,000 for new carpet. 
    An hour after listing we had 3 offers and accepted one. Not the best price, but the best offer for the full price. (We didn't want to deal with out of town buyers or seller credits, etc.)
    We are going to use the proceeds to pay off some lingering credit cards and the rest of the money will be used to become investors. The closing is Wednesday and I'll be a pro member of BP by next Monday.
    We didn't work crazy jobs or do without. We just decided to take what we had and make a better plan for our future.

  • Wholesaler · Glen Burnie, MD · Member since 2017 · 13 posts · 3 votes
    9y

    wow! @Dawn Anastasi your story is both inspiring and challenging. you have proven that we absolutely have no excuse. Thanks for sharing your story, I literally felt goose bumps. wish you the best! 

  • Lake Charles, LA · Member since 2016 · 99 posts · 54 votes
    9y

    I currently own 3 SFR. Two cash flowing and one currently being rehabbed.


    Why I got started:

    I work for a refinery on the gulf coast and have been in this profession since I graduated tech school at 21. I'm 42 now. I've always contributed to a 401k plan but have seen several large dips that pretty much took the wind out of my sails. Dot com bubble, 9/11, the great recession... I mean realistically im not going to live comfy from my rinky dink 401k plan. If I saved all my life and ended up with a million in my account that would still only give me around $35k/year to live off of if I go with 3.5% per year draw that the "experts" suggest. Then what happens if Kim Jong or someone even crazier decides to do something stupid that effects the world? Yep that nest egg gets scrambled once again. Why? Because EVERYTHING affects the stock market. I don't like not having any control over it. Secondly, over the years in my profession I've noticed a reoccurring theme amongst the retirees. Boredom. Stir crazy. Time and time again I'd run into one of the old timers working at the local hardware store or Wal-Mart, or wherever. When asked, "Why? You're retired!" The answers were consistent. Boredom. "I got stir crazy sitting at the house all day." Or "I can only mow my grass so much before I'm ready to do something different." Hell, my dad (semi-retired 70yr old welder) is the same way. He'll drive you crazy if he doesn't have a project to focus on. So.... with all that said, I figured buy and hold RE is the perfect retirement option for me. Especially being quite the handyman myself. I do love to ride my motorcycle, travel, fish, hunt, play beach bum, play sports, watch sports, and do anything else that brings joy. I plan to continue all of that good stuff into retirement. However, crazy as it sounds I also enjoy "piddling" on DIY projects here and there. So why not invest in rentals? Even though "bored" isn't even in my life's vocab but if by some miracle I ever do get to that point, I wouldn't mind changing a water heater, stopping a drip under a sink, or replacing a door knob in order to break the mundane. But if it happens to be the week I'm in Costa Rica with a cold cerveza & hot senorita or Disney with the kiddos when that infamous "2am clogged toilet" phone call comes in I can just allow the professionals to handle it. Best of both worlds.

    How I got started:

    For my first deal I was quite a bit more naive & ignorant than I am now. I may have read an article here and there and even found biggerpockets.com but I was far from ready. Luckily I thought I was. At least I was smart enough to know what area in my town I wanted to invest in and with that alone I was lucky enough to find a deal on the MLS after about 6 months of looking. A musty smelling late '50s era 2/1 with great bones in overall good shape. It was compartmentalized with the kitchen being totally sectioned off from the living room. Not even a window to communicate from LR to kitchen. I'm sure that's why it was on the market for over 2 years. Owners were deceased and the heirs lived across the country. With a "I really don't care if I get it or not" attitude my wife and I offered $30k less than asking price. After some attempts from the sellers at countering we stuck to our guns on the price and they eventually said yes to our offer. Oh crap! Now it was time to figure out how to pay. We did a HELOC on our home for the down payment and financed the remaining 80% with a 15 yr conventional. All OPM. For the rehab I scoured Craigslist, Facebook sale sites, and local papers for all things building materials. Kitchen cabinets, kitchen island, leftover sheets of sheetrock, over estimated tile leftovers, light fixtures, vanity, toilet, ceiling fans, all black & stainless appliances, etc.... My kids (6, 8, 11, 14) and I knocked out the main wall dividing the house and opened the LR, DR, & kitchen all to one open area. I did 99% of the work myself. Tiled the kitchen & bath. Replaced kitchen cabinets. Used but they looked spectacular after painting. I picked up a VERY large granite top Kitchen island with new stainless cooktop from a recently remodeled home being demo'ed for the local university parking expansion. A LOT of work but all said and done I only put in about $5k(which came from my W2 income) on the rehab. Purchase price on the property was $60k. I'm currently doing a refi this week's on the property bc I'm following the BRRR strategy and it just appraised at $112,500. The credit union is loaning 80% so now I'm looking for my next deal. Via Driving for Dollars on the Harley of course.

    My second deal:

    While working in the home mentioned above I noticed a fresh "For Rent" sign pop up in the yard across the street. A 3/1. Curious to see what they were asking per month I called the number and pretended to be interested. The more I questioned the owner the more I sensed her resentment of the property. She lived over an hour away and was tired of showing the place. At one point in the conversation I heard the words, "That house is a pain in my ***!" LOL She also mentioned she was trying to move north but that was the only thing keeping her there. An exact scenario as in one of the RE books I was reading. So I inquired about her possibly selling. Casually she mentioned she might if she could get around $50k. As she showed the place 2 days in a row I'd walk across the street and talk to potential renters as to gauge how interested they were in the place at her rate of $850. Every single one of them wanted to live there! I called fidelity to inquire about a 401k loan that day and found out it could be dispersed within 10 days. So I offered the woman $32k cash. After a little negotiating we settled on $35k. Fidelity cut the check on a 6 year payment plan, we closed on Sept. 1st and I had a renter with a 1 year lease for $850 month on Sept 2nd. It's not making great a deal of cash flow but the lease is up next month and the rent is going up to $910.

    My 3rd deal:

    I purchased this 3/1 about 4 months ago. It is quite the fixer upper but by now I ain't skeerd. :-) By this time I've devoured every suggested real estate book that comes highly suggested by BP and listen to a podcast every time I have an hour or more commute. In following in what just about every author suggested I had business cards made. It was less than a week from their arrival and the subsequent laughter from co-workers at the fact that I had the audacity to call myself a real estate investor that these cards paid dividends on the $15 Vistaprint investment. My kids and I were visiting a local pizza joint for a quick dinner when we ran into an old acquaintance. When asked what I've been up to I jumped at the opportunity to pass along my new business card. That led to a brief conversation about a property he inherited then a more in-depth phone call the next day. Turned out that he was in a situation of too many bills going out and not enough income coming in. Typical American, right? So this windfall was actually a burden to him. Dont ask me how but over the next several days I negotiated a zero money down deal, zero interest, $150/mo note while I work to flip the house. He didn't have the money to get it to rentable condition & mainly just wanted no expenses like taxes, electricity, and insurance on the place while trying to sell. So our deal alleviated all of that plus gave him $150 in his pocket. It was all contingent on me refinancing and paying the entire amount within a year.

    So.... in conclusion I've been able to close one OPM deal (which equates to zero down), one cash deal by reallocating some 401K savings, and one zero down zero interest deal. After I finish the current rehab I plan to 1031 exchange this home bc it's not in the location I am interested in. This is also the last one I plan on investing so much sweat equity in. From this point forward I plan to follow the advice of savvy BP investors and leave the construction to the pros while I focus on finding and funding deals. Which btw seems to be getting easier. The more enthusiastic I am about it all, the more people seem to want to help. Even some of those haters that once laughed at my business cards are now asking if I can use some of their money in order to give them more of a return than the bank is offering. I believe things are about to get interesting!

    My suggestion is to continue to learn. Books, audiobooks, podcasts, forums, etc... but most importantly ACT on the information that you learn. That one vital step has kept thousands from being our competitors and unfortunately kept them one step away from financial freedom. So far every single thing that I've read or seen in the books and BP that I've actually tried to implement has worked exactly as described! Very exciting!

    Good luck.

  • Investor · Puyallup, WA · Member since 2017 · 16 posts · 11 votes
    9y

    Real estate definitely has some timing and market issues attached to it.  I had interest in my early 20s in real estate, but lacked the capital and credit to purchase.  I remember looking at all sorts of success stories about people that had managed to drum up investors and hard money loans to buy, flip, improve, sell and do well.  I was never comfortable using other people's money when I didn't even know what I was doing yet.

    I personally waited until I had the money to buy my first property on my own.  It took me 10 years of studying, shopping, and trying to find a good strategy.  Once I found a good strategy for me, and I had good employment history, and some money for a down payment, it started progressing fairly quickly.  Finally, in my early 30s I bought my first property, and did well with it.  I definitely would not have done as well with it, if I owed a bunch of people money, or hadn't taken the time to research my steps.  

  • Investor · Milwaukee, WI · Member since 2016 · 42 posts · 6 votes
    9y
    Originally posted by @Linda S.:

    @Dustin Ruff,

    Whenever someone asks how we did it (5 investment homes in 1 yr), I always say it's pretty simple-- working you butt off!

    Absolutely no mommy/daddy money, me and my husband both had to pay for college the wonderful way through student loans, I'm a financial analyst, he's a woodshop teacher at a local HS (yes, teacher!) and  he bought fixed up a foreclosure  and had a $30K equity line put out, and I have amazing credit and was able to finance all of the renovations (sometimes up to $60K) , and then we'd put an equity line on the house, pay off the renovations, and repeat!    We have worked pretty much every weekend since May 2016, and haven't looked back.    Is it risky?  Absolutely, that's why so few people do it,  risk is scary!    

    As everyone here has unanimously stated-- it's about sacrifice, hard work and risk!  I don't understand why those concepts are so hard for people to understand, it's HARD WORK, it's expensive, and sometimes it sucks because all your peers are going to Europe, buying huge amazing houses, and you're doing demo in a gross house finding drug paraphernalia!    

    Linda, your story is awesome.  What and how did you finance the renovations?  How much down do you put on the houses?  I'm interested in this method too since I could avoid using investors this way and just use banks.  

  • Investor · Boca Raton, FL · Member since 2017 · 108 posts · 18 votes
    9y

    im gonna answer honestly while I by no means am wealthy.im doing ok..i lived with my parents until i was like 21-22..youd be surprised how much you can save with no expenses making $400-$500 with literally no expenses none for 3 years... my parents were hispanic its a cultural thing...save save save..bought my 1st property at 22 while my friends were at bars and clubs

  • Real Estate Agent · Orlando, FL · Member since 2015 · 177 posts · 54 votes
    9y

    I talk about this most of the time too. I actually started a thread earlier today about something similar

    https://www.biggerpockets.com/forums/12/topics/477...

    Is "hustle" or "hard work" really enough anymore? I remember growing up and asking my father about the richer kid in the area. He would typically respond, "Its not what you know but who you know." I still find this to be the most relevant thing my father has ever taught me. 

  • Fort Collins, CO · Member since 2017 · 273 posts · 91 votes
    9y

    Very interesting point!

    I've read a lot of success stories and wonder. I am finishing up my senior year of college with more in student loans than money in the bank.  I am eager to know what really is happening here and how so many are doing it. I hope to be able to save enough the few years after I graduate to begin my investing journey.  For some to be so young and while working towards an education and investing in real estate amazes me!

    The success stories I read on BP are what do motivate me! 

  • Real Estate Broker · Yorba Linda, CA · Member since 2017 · 154 posts · 114 votes
    9y

    @Dustin Ruff Thanks for starting the thread. Not sure I have the most exciting story to share, but here goes.

    At 19 years of age (I'm now 51, so that was back in 1985) I entered the United States Air Force for two main reasons: 1. To get $10,000 from the GI bill so I can pay my own way through college and 2. To receive VA benefits when I exited the military, primarily the VA loan benefits to buy a home. I have two great parents, but I did not grow up wealthy, big fancy house, lots of money, exotic vacations, etc. We were a very simple family and both my parents are blue collar workers who live and think like most that are described in the book Cash Flow Quadrant (Get a job, pay off your ONE house you live in, save your money and collect a retirement pension). I never grew up learning about business or investing.

    After exiting the military in 1989 with an honorable discharge, I started college and lived at home for a short time before living with my GF (future wife, but now ex-wife. It happens!) and another mutual friend. Wish I would have known about "house hacking" back then!

    After one year of college, my roommate, who was a police officer, had me look into law enforcement as a career path. I did, and in 1990 I was hired full-time as a police officer for Newport Beach, CA. I worked as an officer from 1990 to 2003, but unfortunately received a medical retirement due to a few on duty injuries. During those 13 years I got married, had two beautiful daughters, finished my education by receiving my BA degree in Criminal Justice and purchased TWO primary homes. My first home was purchased in 1994 using my VA loan. I purchased the property for $154K (not happening today in CA) and was out of pocket a total of $1,450 to close the deal. I sold this property in 2001 for $240K and purchased a new primary home in an up and coming area (different county) for $247K (bigger home by 2X). Did not use my VA on this property, but instead used the old 80/10/10 loan. We lived in this home raising our family until 2010, when we got divorced, and sold it for $410,000 (It got as high as $625K during the crazy days of 2005-2006).

    From 2003 until the present I’ve been working full-time in real estate on the retail side of things making a good six figure income from selling, managing an office(s) or both and I receive my police retirement of about $4,100/month tax free, so it’s not for a lack of income to invest. Back when I was married it was because of bad credit. I was going to invest in buy/hold rentals back in 2004-2005 in both California and Texas, but my credit was not great due to some poor financial decisions made by my wife at the time, which affected my credit because she was a stay at home mom and everything was in my name. I was unable to get a traditional loan, so I had to sit on the side lines while my friends invested in Texas and did very well. I was not educated on creative financing back then, so I sat and watched while working on getting my credit back in order, which is now over 800..YAY, and I no longer have a wife!

    After getting divorced I rented for 2 years, got my financial life back in order and bought a primary home in 2012 using my VA once again. I purchased the home for $265K and $2,400 out of pocket, and just sold it in December of 2016 for $420K. I cleared over $175K TAX FREE thanks to Capital Gains!

    So here I am now, 51 years old, sitting on plenty of cash to invest, I’m Semi-Retired because my police pension of $4,100/month covers all my monthly expenses (PASSIVE INCOME) and I also make good money actively running my retail real estate business. I’m involved with a wonderful woman, who I live with, and she is a VP for a large national medical device company, so financially we are good and ready to move into investing.

    We have both been educating ourselves through reading books, listening to podcasts, reading forums on BP, etc. and it’s now time to take that step into PASSIVE INCOME. We have no less than $250K to start investing with, so there is NO EXCUSE at this point to make things happen.

    We have decided, based on great insights from Cash Flow Quadrant to NOT purchase a primary residence and take on BIG DEBT at this time. We do believe that your primary home is a LIABILITY not an ASSET as outlined in Cash Flow Quadrant, so we are going to rent and invest our money in Buy/Hold Assets. We are looking at investing in out of state markets from SFR to 20 unit complexes using conventional loans and the BRRRR strategy. Our goal is a minimum of 10 units/doors per year over the next 12-13 years and have cash flow of no less than $20K/month by year 2030.

    I’ve owned 3 homes during my adult life, and all were primary residences. I never lost money on any of these homes and although I wish I had been in a position to invest in rental properties much earlier in my life, it’s never too late to start and I still have some good years left in me. Not to mention we’ll be leaving something for our children to benefit from.

    Like I said, it’s not the most exciting story, but it’s MINE and it’s REAL!

  • Rental Property Investor · Saint Paul, MN · Member since 2016 · 22 posts · 20 votes
    9y

    Love this topic.

    My mom always told me growing up that I had to go to college. She always told me I had to be a doctor, lawyer, accountant or engineer because there was no money to pay for college and I needed a job that would cover it when I got out.

    I chose engineering. I had your typical college experience - lived in the dorms, 5 years of tuition and graduated with A TON of debt. My student loan payments were more than my rent. I got a job in engineering straight out of college and like a dummy bought myself a brand new car. Then The Crash came and I was lucky enough to keep my job. Shortly after came the First Time Home Buyer Credit and I bought the smallest house on the block on a FHA loan. I spent what little money I had to buy and fix up this house by myself.

    I quickly realized there’s not a ton of money in engineering but companies like mine liked to turn engineers with social skills into technical sales people. I jumped into sales and have been on that track ever since.

    Eventually, I met and married my now husband, @Nich J. who spent much of his early twenties in the Marine Corps. He didn’t have any student loan debt thanks to Uncle Sam.

    We both have been employed since our early teenage years and have always had the frugal mindset. Now we make good money at our day jobs and save as much as we can.

    When my husband moved in, we decided to add a second story to our tiny little house. We hired someone to build the shell and we did the rest - all of it. The house appraised for way more than either of us ever thought and we used a VA loan to pull it all out. My husband sacrificed 2 years at war in the sandbox to get this benefit and we're not letting it go to waste.

    About a year and a half ago we started our REI journey and haven't looked back. In the past year, we've had 5 closings: refi on our house - primary residence, a cabin - vacation rental, a townhouse - vacation rental, a triplex, and a duplex.

    We’ve spent ALL of our free time for the past 4 years finishing our house; we remodeled the cabin and the townhouse ourselves as well. The duplex is in need of some serious TLC so we’re renting out our house to move into the duplex and fix it up.

    We have had no help financially from family or otherwise. We’ve sacrificed time with family, vacations, fancy dinners, our backs, you name it, to make this happen and we’re not done yet.

    The moral of the story is sacrifice, being able to take a risk, and sheer grit and determination - all of this to get to our end goal which is being able to quit our soul sucking corporate jobs so we can use our time as we see fit...which is probably more REI.

    @Nich J.

  • Crystal River, FL · Member since 2017 · 68 posts · 56 votes
    9y
    In 1997 my wife and I were fortunate enough to be involved in a self help group called Housing Assistance Corporation building 3 houses with 2 other families. after 6 months we had built the house and had about 30k in equity and moved in with our two small children. 10 years later we were able to buy another house with a garage apartment. We rented out the old house and the garage apartment and suddenly found ourselves cash flowing over 1k on both properties. Then 2 years ago we bought and moved into the house next door renting out that house. We are on the slow boat to wealth I guess, definitely don't want to overpay and our town of Hendersonville NC doesn't have many deals lately but we're sitting on some money from a refi of the original house waiting for the next good deal. One great thing is with part of the refi money we were able to pay cash for a house in Independence MO for our daughter and her family to live in and eventually own. For anybody starting out I would advise patience and persistence.
  • Investor · Fresno, CA · Member since 2016 · 222 posts · 237 votes
    9y

    Great thread! For me, it started in college wherein I worked up to 3 part-time jobs in order to keep student loans lower. That being said, I still came out with around 30k (ouch!), but luckily after graduate school in science, I was able to get a decent job. Over the first year of work, I saved over 50% of my after tax income. I became interested in REI during graduate school (Rich Dad, Poor Dad coming through again), and so was aggresively saving for an emergency fund and 1st property. Being that I live in Denver, with its increasingly expensive real estate market, I realized that it would take another year or more before I could save enough for an entry level home. Offers for this market segment were going for 30k over asking, and still not winning! So I decided to look for alternative down payment options. I found that the city of Denver had grant programs for 1st time home buyers, and that I qualified. Next I found a starter townhome with forced appreciation potential (finish the basement to add another bed and bath), and using the downpayment assistance, I was able to afford my first property. I purchased/moved in at the start of May, and found a tenant for the extra room which covered half of my expenses. I am now in the process of finishing the basement, and once I move in (likely before the project is complete), I will rent out my current room and be living for free. I am doing most all of the work myself to save labor costs, as well as to learn general building skills. In the future, I think this knowledge will be helpful when dealing with contractors and inspectors. So I am currently doing a live-in-flip/house-hack for my first property. I feel that being frugal, along with some luck, has helped me be successful so far. I am fortunate to have 3 other REI friends who own several properties to mastermind with. Really I'm just excited for what the future brings!

  • Rental Property Investor · Rochester, NY · Member since 2016 · 303 posts · 154 votes
    9y
    Bravo Dustin Ruff for posting this very realtic topic. Like you I have also often thought how did many small and large investors began their investment "careers". For me, it's simple - started working at a very young age and always dreamt that by the age of 40 I would retire with many revenue streams. While that has not been the case, I was able to invest in RE enough to provide a decent lifestyle for my family. I was fortunate enough to safe early in my career to invest. Once you buy your first, it becomes easier to invest over and over again.... keep chipping away Dustin and know your WHY. Life always in its own way will present you opportunities Good luck my friend !
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.