Can you ask the home seller to replace the AC?

Can you ask the home seller to replace the AC?

Bowie, MD · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 3 votes
Buying a townhome and the inspection shows some issues. I asked the seller to fix the issues and she agreed. But the bigger issue is the hvac. When we were inspecting the property with the inspector, the hvac was not working. He asked the seller to fix/replace/certify the unit. Today we got the reply that the issues will be fixed but on the reply they stated that the hvac is working and the seller is providing a 1 year home warranty. I have some concerns with that because as it turns out the system is from 1994 so in 2-3 years time I won't be able to buy Freon for it. Is it reasonable to ask the seller to replace the system? I feel that they are hiding behind the "there's a home warranty" guise to pass the problem to us.
0Reply
57 views

10 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Investor · Madison, WI · Member since 2015 · 47 posts · 16 votes
    9y

    You can always ask for them to replace it. They can say no. They won't replace it if you don't ask. 

  • Specialist · Orlando, FL · Member since 2017 · 127 posts · 38 votes
    9y
    Maybe get an estimate from an AC contractor and reduce the contract price accordingly
  • Chris SeveneyBusiness Member
    Moderator
    Investor · VA · Member since 2015 · 21k+ posts · 19k+ votes
    9y
    Alfredo T. - you can ask but the seller does not need to agree to it. If the AC is that old it will probably not last a few years. Assuming they do not accept replacement then I would ask who the warranty is with, what is covered, is there a deductible if it dies etc Also consider continuing the warranty - I did that on one of my properties and it paid for itself
    7e investments53 Reviews
  • Zachary KrusePro Member
    Investor · Grand Rapids, MN · Member since 2014 · 13 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    @Alfredo T. Absolutely ask for it, the worst they can say is no. If they do, and the numbers don't work for whatever reason, don't be afraid to renegotiate a better price or walk away. Perhaps you could do something like lowering your offer and fix it yourself. EVERYTHING is negotiable. Just make sure you aren't stepping over dollars to get to pennies! Hope that helps!

  • Bowie, MD · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    If I ask for it and they say no and I decide to walk away will I loose my earnest money?
  • Real Estate Investor · Tampa, FL · Member since 2016 · 53 posts · 29 votes
    9y

    Not if the contract was written correctly, if you had an inspection contingency then you will get it back.

  • Bowie, MD · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    What is the best home warranty out there
  • Flipper/Rehabber · Montgomery, NY · Member since 2016 · 2k+ posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    Feel free to ask for it, but expect them to push back. I sold a 1987 home with an original A/C unit. It worked well every year, so you may get another 5-10 years out of it.

    That same house had a water heater from the early 2000s. The inspection noted "the water heater is past its useful life' and they requested I replace it. I told them that the heater in place was a very high end unit, having never given us an issue in our 8 years there, and serviced often. We agreed to leaving it, having it serviced again, and the buyer purchased their own home warranty, which I credited back $475 for at the closing. In my mind if they required a new unit I would have either walked from the deal, or stuck the cheapest box store special in there, replacing the higher end unit, which I probably would have kept or sold.

  • Bowie, MD · Member since 2017 · 23 posts · 3 votes
    9y
    Brian Varmuza I do have an inspection contingency. I just don't understand why agree to fix then no fix done and say it has home warranty. I'm about to walk from this deal if the earnest money going back to me.
Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.