Trying to start a NASHVILLE REI group

Trying to start a NASHVILLE REI group

Investor · Away · Member since 2017 · 167 posts · 131 votes

Hey everyone, 

     I live out here in Nashville, I am an agent as well and do wholesales but the point of this post is not really necessarily to drum up business for myself. I am just surprised at the number of meet ups, events and sizes of the groups that meet up in other cities. Every time I look here in Nashville it is the same group of old school REIN people who don't really do any business with new people or offer any kind of constructive advice. 

     I just love the community and energy here BiggerPockets and would like to meet with any and all of you to talk about what we are seeing out here and what it takes to get started. I work with a lot of newbies and a lot of experience as well but I see a lot of the same faces and no one from BiggerPockets it seems when I go out. I understand the climate around here can be intimidating and because of that I would just love to ask if there was any of you out there that had a place and time you wanted to hang out and get to know one another.

     I hope that we can get this started as I am having trouble finding anyone to talk business and real estate with that haven't been "poisoned" by the well of REIN people out here. Nashville is a great market with a lot to offer but it also has a lot of people that have done enough things the wrong way that it is hard to break in and trust the people on the other side of any transactions. BiggerPockets has such a great community online I would love to bring that positivity and awesomeness to unperson meetings. Hope to see you all out here soon! 

2Reply
85 views

Most Popular Reply

Developer · Nashville, TN · Member since 2013 · 81 posts · 68 votes
9y

Hey Nashville peeps! Just wanted to give you a heads up, I've scheduled another BP Meetup at Crow's Nest on October 17 at 4pm. The last one went pretty well! Had between 15-20 people there, wide range of experience. I intend on putting this event together every month for a year, to start, and hopefully it gains some momentum.

Would love for any and all of you to be there!

See this reply in the discussion

49 Replies

Jump to latestLatest
  • Avery CarlBusiness Member
    Real Estate Agent · USA · Member since 2016 · 909 posts · 1k+ votes
    9y

    @Lucas Carl and myself would love to get together/involved with something like that!

  • Cape Girardeau, MO · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    That's pretty awesome.  I'm 3 1/2 hours away in Cape Girardeau, Missouri, but I do plan to invest in Tennessee (Nashville) when I start to expand.  I guess I'm just responding to show you there's some interest.  I wrote your name down and would like to stay in touch so I might be able to come to a meeting.  I don't mind the drive if my schedule lines up.

  • Dan BeaulieuPro Member
    Lender · Knoxville, Tennessee (TN) · Member since 2016 · 422 posts · 667 votes
    9y

    @Zachery Buffin it would be amazing to get together with a bunch of likeminded people! Let's pick a time and place and make it happen! Thanks so much for starting this thread 

  • Spring Hill, TN · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 2 votes
    9y
    My wife and I are newbies but count us in. Also curious what you mean about REIN. Never been to any of their meet ups but had planned on it.
  • Real Estate Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    I am new to Nashville from the Memphis area and i would love to meet up and talk business!

  • Real Estate Agent · Nashville, TN · Member since 2015 · 2k+ posts · 2k+ votes
    9y

    @Zachery Buffin Great idea. We had started a "BP meetup" last year but it didn't make it past 1 meeting. 

    I'd be interested in attending a local meet up for sure.

    I'm also a member of REIN so hope that doesn't count me out :-D

  • Rental Property Investor · Cleveland, TN · Member since 2015 · 54 posts · 27 votes
    9y

    I'd be interested. I am an hour and a half away in Humphreys County.

  • Investor · Away · Member since 2017 · 167 posts · 131 votes
    9y

    @Dan Beaulieu I am excited I suppose the best way to do it is just pick a time and place and see if that works for everyone. I suppose my first question is if everyone prefers the weekend or an afterwork meeting for the first meet up? 

    @Alex Mayfield I was/am a little frustrated by them at times because they do have meet ups but it doesn't feel like anything business related is discussed positively at times. That is just how I feel and not really their fault 100% there are people (not REIN) who have done enough bad practices that people feel a bit jaded. I want to encourage new investors to get started with lessons learned not horror stories that keep people from starting. That being said the REIN has a lot of experience in it and a lot of true professionals so take what I say with a little grain of salt as my enthusiasm is showing through. 

    @Luka Milicevic You and I have talked before and I am so happy you took the time to respond. Of course everyone is welcome! I may come off a bit harsh on the REIN but I know that the individuals that make it up are good at what they do but if you're new it can be a little difficult to break in at times. 

  • Lender · Asheville NC · Member since 2016 · 469 posts · 317 votes
    9y

    I'd be interested.  Sundays are good for me, but I'm open.  Good idea!

  • Dan BeaulieuPro Member
    Lender · Knoxville, Tennessee (TN) · Member since 2016 · 422 posts · 667 votes
    9y

    @Zachery Buffin @Avery Carl @Luka Milicevic @Eric Doss

    I just looked at the BP events page which is where information about local meet-ups is posted. Looks like @Brian Bandas has taken the initiative to get one going for September 19 at 4 pm. Perhaps we can all go to this one!?

    Here is the link:

    Nashville BP Meetup 

  • Real Estate Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 40 posts · 10 votes
    9y

    Yea i see that now, i don't get off work until 5:30pm so hopefully there will be more events at a later time!

  • Lender · Asheville NC · Member since 2016 · 469 posts · 317 votes
    9y

    Same as @eric .  I work more of a  M-F 9-5 thing, and couldn't make the other one.  

    @Eric Doss

  • Lender · Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 205 posts · 107 votes
    9y

    I'm so happy to see this thread! Great idea @Zachery Buffin. I am going to attempt to make the other BP meetup in Nashville, but at 4pm, it's going to be tough for many people that work a full time day job. An after work social or Saturday morning meeting would probably the best for me. Let's get this thing going and start helping each other out.  

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    I would love to go to something like this. I'm a newbie and would enjoy hearing from people in the business, but it will be hard for me to make the 4:00 meeting. I also work a 9-5 job. 

  • Cape Girardeau, MO · Member since 2017 · 101 posts · 25 votes
    9y

    @ Zachary Buffin.  Well, how's that for interest.  Pretty awesome.  I'll follow you to see how this works out. 

  • Investor · Nashville, TN · Member since 2013 · 47 posts · 26 votes
    9y

    If you organize an after 5 meetup, I'd attend. 

  • Investor · Away · Member since 2017 · 167 posts · 131 votes
    9y

    The common theme here seems to be 9-5 so let's do something on the weekend guys. Now I am not really a coffee house kind of guy, there are a number of great breweries around town that are larger less crowded venues if we meet up early afternoon on a weekend day. Saturday's are preferred for me but I saw @Gerald Pitts was wanting Sunday. 

    I totally respect if someone has a personal reason for not wanting to meet at a place that serves alcohol as a primary beverage and can rework the plan to accommodate anyone with that preference. Just keep it coming guys, I am loving the feedback and energy here!

  • Lender · Asheville NC · Member since 2016 · 469 posts · 317 votes
    9y

    Saturday is cool too!  After 12pm preferably for me.

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 82 posts · 22 votes
    9y

    @Zachery Buffin Im another M-F9-5 person as well, but open to any time or any place on the weekends. Count me in for sure! I plan on going to the meet up @Brian Bandas has put together as well.

  • Investor · Nashville TN & Birmingham, AL · Member since 2015 · 14 posts · 4 votes
    9y

    @Zachery Buffin I'm definitely interested in a weekend meetup as I'm part of the 9-5 crew. Keep me posted. Thanks!

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2017 · 1 post · 0 votes
    9y

    @Zachery Buffin Count me in as well! My schedule is fairly flexible and would be happy to meet preferably early on weekends or on week nights after 5 but would meet at anytime I had available. Glad to see the numbers and enthusiasm behind this! 

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    Great responses in this thread so far. I think I could make a weekend meeting! The only time I'd be unavailable would be when a Tennessee football game is on. 

  • Investor · Away · Member since 2017 · 167 posts · 131 votes
    9y

    Alright guys, in an attempt to get a hard plan in place I am putting this short two question survey in place. I will plan on Saturday being the day since that seems to be generally agreeable to everyone, the questions will be over the time of day and place we are going. The survey is super simple (free, haha) so if you select on of the "other" choices that don't give a hard time and place then PM me and let me know the time or place you would prefer. 

  • Investor · Away · Member since 2017 · 167 posts · 131 votes
    9y

    https://zach210.typeform.com/to/yjkNiC

    It would help if I put the link in... not enough coffee this morning.

  • Nashville, TN · Member since 2016 · 10 posts · 2 votes
    9y

    @Zachery Buffin 

    PM sent, but I thought I would also put it here. I think Pinewood Social would be a great place to meet up

Join the conversationCreate a free account to reply, vote on answers and follow this thread.